BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
X3msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3

Steering wheel control and idrive screen....

I was wondering if this was normal and was hoping someone on here could help me out....

I am able to scroll through my radio presets using the thumb scroll on the steering wheel and it works fine. I am able to see my selection and radio station on under the instrument cluster....

The changes do NOT show up however on the idrive screen. The idrive screen just lists my presets, with the red rectangle frozen and does not turn to the new station selected by the thumb scroll. Is this normal? I'd like to be able to use the thumb scroll to surf through my presets and see the selected station on my idrive screen. (I find the idrive controller cumbersome when channel surfing with the turn and click feature.)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
X3msport
United_States
Rep

Anyone?

I don't want to take it to my dealer in case it is indeed normal.... Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Fiddling with my F25 just arrived. I think it's ok. I had a 320d before and didn't behave the same. I believe it's made on purpose not to oblige you to change i.e. the navi screen when you want to change radio station.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
X3msport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
Fiddling with my F25 just arrived. I think it's ok. I had a 320d before and didn't behave the same. I believe it's made on purpose not to oblige you to change i.e. the navi screen when you want to change radio station.
Thanks for the reply!

So basically, if you scroll though the radio stations using your steering wheel control, your idrive/nav screen won't update or display the new station either?

I'm sorry if the way I am wording this is confusing....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3msport View Post
I am able to scroll through my radio presets using the thumb scroll on the steering wheel ...The changes do NOT show up however on the idrive screen.
That's the way mine works too (Canadian version 35i, all options).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3msport View Post
Thanks for the reply!

So basically, if you scroll though the radio stations using your steering wheel control, your idrive/nav screen won't update or display the new station either?

I'm sorry if the way I am wording this is confusing....
I usually use the Nav in split screen mode with “entertainment details” on the small screen.
When I change stations via the steering wheel thumbwheel the display changes to show station and details.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I think this is how it works. If you juggle with the steering wheel controls, it shows on the navi screen only if there is either the split screen on the entertainment details, or if you're on the dedicated screen for radio. Otherwise the screen shows the current function.

Maybe it could change if you deselect the option for the "info screen", reachable from the navi in the settings menu. Sorry to be so imprecise, my navi is in italian, there is an option on what to show in the dashboard screen, the one that tells you about service, autonomy, mpg etc...
Appreciate 0