BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
JKim89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i X-Drive

paints - scratches?

hi.
so i was just wondering, is it easier to get scratches (swirl marks, little bits of scraches) on a non-metallic paint?
for example, would it be easier to get scratch marks on a alpine white/jet black paint compared to metallic paints?
thanks.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Seems to me that the darker the color the more the swirl marks show, metallis is better and very hard to see with white. I think white is by far the easiest to keep looking clean and very hard to see swirl marks.

Just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
JKim89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

what about alpine white? they're not metallic. does it show more scratches and swirl makrs?
if you compare jetblack to sapphire black, is jetblack more prone to showing swirl marks?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Jet black is more prone to swirl marks. White does not show swirl marks.
      04-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

If it's swirls and very fine scratches like thoses caused from car washes and towel drying you will be much happier with the alpine white. That would have been my first choice for that reason and that when the white is dirty it stll looms clean as compared to a darker color especially black even metallic black.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Cactus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyungy89 View Post
hi.
so i was just wondering, is it easier to get scratches (swirl marks, little bits of scraches) on a non-metallic paint?
for example, would it be easier to get scratch marks on a alpine white/jet black paint compared to metallic paints?
thanks
Any dark color will show swirls more than a lighter color although they all get swirl marks the same. White will have to be horribly swirled before you notice it, but white shows dirt pretty badly.

Silver or a lighter grey metallic are the best for looking clean and not showing the swirls.

As for a black car, it would have to be a HELL of a good deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

just get one of the paintguard coatings on your car and you will be fine. The dealer I bought my C63 from puts paintguard on all their cars and charges the customer $299 for it (they also put leatherguard and fabricguard on it), 5 year warranty too. I have had my car for 18,000 miles now, never had a single swirl mark (handwash in summer, rinse with filtered water and air dry, but I go to the car wash in the winter). It is light silver but I would still notice them. Also never needs to be waxed! Don't have a single rock chip on the hood either, I couldn't be happier with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
JKim89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
just get one of the paintguard coatings on your car and you will be fine. The dealer I bought my C63 from puts paintguard on all their cars and charges the customer $299 for it (they also put leatherguard and fabricguard on it), 5 year warranty too. I have had my car for 18,000 miles now, never had a single swirl mark (handwash in summer, rinse with filtered water and air dry, but I go to the car wash in the winter). It is light silver but I would still notice them. Also never needs to be waxed! Don't have a single rock chip on the hood either, I couldn't be happier with it.
what's the product called?
my dealer does a paint protection called dupont? it's 499. i don't know if it's worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I have paint protection but I did not know it did not need to be waxed. Also, I can see swirl marks in my paint even with that package. And it was applied twice because my car had some imperfections when it came off the assembly line which had to be fixed at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

It's hard to believe that any wax or other chemical would protect you from swirls. The only way to not get them is to be very careful and not wash your car to often. Even then if you have a sensitive black color you will be polishing the car as often as you wash it to get rid of the swirls.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyungy89 View Post
what's the product called?
my dealer does a paint protection called dupont? it's 499. i don't know if it's worth it?
Called Paintguard by Perma-Plate

Waxing won't hurt the car with paintguard already on it but has little effect on it when you have a product like this. Remember 75% of wax comes off with the first wash, compared to this which is a chemical that sticks to the paint.

I don't know exactly how it works but I have 2 scratches that I can barely see and was told they would have been a lot worse if not for this seal (this was not a selling tactic as it was a third party body shop that told me so when I was having a few dings pounded back out). Anyway, I just washed my car this weekend, first hand wash since last fall, and I checked out the paint before washing, no swirl marks at all and I took it to the car wash all winter. If you are calling me a liar I am not sure how to respond, I have nothing to gain here...

Now I just hope I can find a place to put this on my X3 when I get it and not charge an arm and a leg, I thought Mercedes price of $299 was great, especially since that included leatherguard too, my seats are still perfect after almost 2 years, a couple sticky spots came right out with leather cleaner
Appreciate 0