BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Schmullis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 3.5i XLine

Driving in the manual shift mode of the X3

I just discovered that one can drive in a sport manual shift mode, without shifting!

Driving with the X3 3.5i XDrive in Comfort, just push the transmission control to the left, but don't shift. The car drives (per my impression) as you might drive if you had a manual transmission, holding each gear to about 3,000 RPM. It also downshifts nicely when you slow down. I like it better than driving in "D" in Sport mode. Plus, the display shows the gear number you are in, which is cool too.

For me, an interesting discovery. The only downside is that my avg. MPG has dropped from about 18.5 to 16.5 mpg, but the X3 is more fun to drive!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmullis View Post
I just discovered that one can drive in a sport manual shift mode, without shifting!

Driving with the X3 3.5i XDrive in Comfort, just push the transmission control to the left, but don't shift. The car drives (per my impression) as you might drive if you had a manual transmission, holding each gear to about 3,000 RPM. It also downshifts nicely when you slow down. I like it better than driving in "D" in Sport mode. Plus, the display shows the gear number you are in, which is cool too.

For me, an interesting discovery. The only downside is that my avg. MPG has dropped from about 18.5 to 16.5 mpg, but the X3 is more fun to drive!
If you liked this, then you should code 2TB in your VO (you replace another value with this). Transmission feels much sportier as a result.