BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Schmullis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 3.5i XLine

X3 Harmon Kardon speaker question

My 2016 X3 has the HK sound system. Here's my question for those that are knowledgeable about speaker technology:

I have a friend that has BavSound Stage 1 front door 4" midrange and tweeters that he will give me to install in the X3. From BavSounds website I see that the 4" midrange are 4 ohm.

Here are my questions:
1 - Does anyone know if the HK 4" midrange in the doors are 4 ohm for compatability?

2 - Any guess if putting in just the two front door replacement speakers and tweeters from BavSound will improve the sound or am I best leaving the HK speakers there, as they are compatible with all of the other HK speakers now in the car?

Any knowledgeable response would be appreciated before I go to the effort of taking off the front door panels.

Thanks!

Last edited by Schmullis; 05-31-2017 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

The stock speaker maybe 2 ohm impedance or 4 ohm. If you are going from 2 to 4 ohm the amplifier shouldn't have a problem. You'll have to adjust the volume since you'll have lower volume with 4 ohm. The problem you may have is balancing the output between the tweeter, midrange, woofer and also causing a change in crossover frequency points. If you change both front tweeters and midrange from 2 ohm to 4 ohm impedance; the woofer will play louder, you'll have to fade the rear speakers lower and your crossover points will be different between front and rear speaker groups. You may or may not not hear the difference.

I replace my wive's former E60 standard speakers with BavSound and there was huge difference in SQ. Can't comment on change from HK.

Last edited by Radioactive; 05-31-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Schmullis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 3.5i XLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
The stock speaker maybe 2 ohm impedance or 4 ohm. If you are going from 2 to 4 ohm the amplifier shouldn't have a problem. You'll have to adjust the volume since you'll have lower volume with 4 ohm. The problem you may have is balancing the output between the tweeter, midrange, woofer and also causing a change in crossover frequency points. If you change both front tweeters and midrange from 2 ohm to 4 ohm impedance; the woofer will play louder, you'll have to fade the rear speakers lower and your crossover points will be different between front and rear speaker groups. You may or may not not hear the difference.

I replace my wive's former E60 standard speakers with BavSound and there was huge difference in SQ. Can't comment on change from HK.
Good feedback, thanks! My guess is that there might be a mis-match. I had the BavSound Stage 1 midrange and tweeters replaced plus the ghost subs in a 2 series I sold this winter. Was an improvement over the HK. I find the HK more trebly. The BavSound sounded "warmer" if that makes sense. I may pop for the BavSound again, but for now will live with the HK.
Appreciate 0