BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

Transfer Case

My 2011 X3 xDrive28i has been shuddering/hesitating on low speed turns for about 6 months now. In August 2016, one of my rear tires went bad and was continuously loosing air, was replaced by the same tire and specs, (the other three tires were not changed). Thereafter the car ran fine for about four months and in January one day while I was parking in my apartment building's car garage, upon turning it felt like a tire was hesitating or something was stuck in it. The issue was sometimes more pronounced and sometimes non-existent. I took it to a local mechanic who fixes BMWs and he said the front tires need changed. He changed the front tires (so now I had two brand new tires in the front, one tire which was put on 4 months ago along with an older tire in the rear. The issue seemed to have gone away. I did not feel any hesitance or shuddering for a few weeks and then it started all over again. Frustrated with my experience with the first mechanic this time I researched a bit more and found two garages which are more reputable. Both of them confirmed that the transfer case needs changed. Both of them proposed I swap it with a donor from a salvaged car. The cost garage#1 quoted was around $1400 and he said after the work is done he will guarantee the part/work for 10 days, this guys only deals in high end Mercedes/BMWs/Range Rovers. The cost garage#2 quoted was $1800 and he would guarantee the part/work for 30 days, his is more a general repair workshop but is well equipped and also recommended highly, but they do not just do BMWs or german cars. I asked both of them if they could rebuild the Transfer case and garage#1 said it can't be done, garage#2 said that he had tried it with a few customers but it tends to breakdown on the Beemers (he said on the Range Rovers the rebuilt transfer cases work fine).

I would like to see what the forum members thoughts are on this issue. I was not aware of replacing the tires at the same time otherwise probably I would not have encountered this issue. Some lessons are learnt the hard way.

Here are my questions: (...and thank you for reading through and providing your input)

1) Would you suggest I go with garage#1 who deals more exclusively with german cars and is providing a lesser warranty OR garage#2 who deals with mostly all types of cars but is giving a shorter warranty?

2) My current tire tread depths are as follows: Front tires: 6.5mm, Rear Passenger: 5.5mm and Rear Driver: 3mm. After getting the transfer box changed should I get all 4 new tired ($$$$, they're around $350each). Or two new at the rear? Or just one at the rear that's most worn? I'm currently using Pirelli P7 RFTs 245/50 R18.

3) Garage#1 told me as did the very first guy I went to that tire depth doesn't matter as long as it's the same make/specs/tread. Now that's pretty much opposite of what I've read on the forums here. Garage#2 agreed that different tire sizes makes the transfer box work harder and puts undue wear on it and he suggested I change the tires after getting a new transfer box. What do you guys think?

4) I want to see if other people got their transfer cases fixed and provided I be vigilant with my tires, I want to know if this issue gets fixed or does it keep recurring?

5) Also, I've seen a lot of videos and read posts about people rebuilding transfer cases/actuator motors on older X5s and X3s. Does anyone know how to distinguish whether the actuator motor is bad or the actual transfer case is? The garage people told me that it's definitely the transfer case.

6) Finally, I've read some posts where people have had similar issues and they flushed the Transfer Case oil and put new oil in it and it worked for them. Does anyone know if this is a long term fix or does this just make it better temporarily?

I'm sorry for making this so long. I intend to keep the car for a few years and am pretty good at taking care of my car. Had I known to change all tires together I would not have been bothering you guys. I've read through many posts on the transfer case issue and just want some advice. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I'm one of those people who have had issues with the transfer case. About 2-3 years ago I had the transfer case flushed on two separate occasions about 3 months apart. No problems since.

I'd have thought as a first measure you should try flushing the transfer case which will be far far cheaper and far far easier than what appears to me to be an "over-the-top" first-up option of replacing the transfer case. And try and get it done at a garage other than the two garages that are recommending you replace the transfer case.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Sorry also meant to add the following. In my very humble opinion, I think the differences in tyre tread depth - which translate into very small overall differences in tyre rolling diameter - has little or nothing to do with your transfer case problems.

It was the transfer case in the 1st generation E83 X3 that was notorious for not being able to deal with minor normal-life variances in tyre diameters. It was one of the great "claims to fame" of this F25 X3 that the new improved x-Drive system was much more tolerate to normal-life variances in tyre wear rates.

And certainly while there have been some people such as myself who have had issues with the transfer case in the F25, these problems have largely been fixed with transfer case flushing. No doubt I could be wrong, but I'm actually not aware of any cases where the remedy has been to replace the transfer case.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
Danielali
Rep

Tony,
Thank you so much for your information and opinion. It's so hard to deduce good knowledge about this transfer case issue especially with so many posts and so many experiences that people have had. It's good to that the F25 transfer case is more robust and tolerable, I've thought to myself why BMW has not improved the design ever since the E83. So, that answers my question. I'll search for a better mechanic and get that oil flushed and post an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Hi, I own and owned quite a few BMW's, and usually I do my own work on these cars, I also have the BMW software. So I'm not sure if stuff like Carly will work.

On my previous X5 (e53) I did the transfer case fluid change. I did that also on my daughter's X3 (e83) and the f25. On all these models I changed the transfer case fluid following TIS.
You need the original BMW fluid (it's not cheap), and a 2 new copper ring gaskets for fill & drain plug if I remeber correctly. The transfer case takes a bit more than 1qt, so you need to order 2 qts. The procedure is trivial. But once the fluid is replaced you need to reset the transfer case - basically you tell it that it has new fluid. The t-case will re-adapt for the new fluid (it will perform different than with old fluid - basically in like-new state). Torque values for fill plug & drain plug is 24-25 Nm.

This is actually a needed maintenance procedure for x-drives (I believe it's a 60k interval) - as the fluid ages, the car's t-case gradually performs different and in time, the clutches will begin to slip and the actuator will start to be overstressed. This will eat your tires and strip that plastic/teflon wormgear.

In all cases the t-case fluid that came out was black. New is yellow-orange.

Once new fluid is in, as I said above you NEED to reset/re-adapt the transfer case for the new fluid. With the laptop this takes less than 5 minutes. Not sure how much the fluid is in the US, I paid close to 80 bux/qt at dealership if I remember correctly. Also not sure how much stealer will charge for this maintenance. Total time (lifting/drain-refill/lowering/software readapt) is about 1/2 hr - 45 min tops

Hope this helps
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Sfkjeld
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

I struggled having my transfer case diagnosed for nearly two years . Had fluid changed and actuator wheel replaced, all the cheap stuff. For reason I don’t understand, changing the fluid actually does improve the transfer case shifting, but it is temporary. But within weeks it’s back to the shuddering and clunking. Finally decided to put a refurbished TC. Ordered from a shop in Corona Ca. $1000. Then struggled to find an installer. The cost disparity was unbelievable. For $350 to $2400. After wasting time with the cheap garages, I asked the rebuilder if they could do it. “Sure. Takes a few hours. $400 out the door”. I drove down there, dropped the car, play 9 holes at a golf course about a mile away. Came back the car was ready to go. Drives like new.

http://www.tcbmwx5.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
forgetitla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Hi, I own and owned quite a few BMW's, and usually I do my own work on these cars, I also have the BMW software. So I'm not sure if stuff like Carly will work.

On my previous X5 (e53) I did the transfer case fluid change. I did that also on my daughter's X3 (e83) and the f25. On all these models I changed the transfer case fluid following TIS.
You need the original BMW fluid (it's not cheap), and a 2 new copper ring gaskets for fill & drain plug if I remeber correctly. The transfer case takes a bit more than 1qt, so you need to order 2 qts. The procedure is trivial. But once the fluid is replaced you need to reset the transfer case - basically you tell it that it has new fluid. The t-case will re-adapt for the new fluid (it will perform different than with old fluid - basically in like-new state). Torque values for fill plug & drain plug is 24-25 Nm.

This is actually a needed maintenance procedure for x-drives (I believe it's a 60k interval) - as the fluid ages, the car's t-case gradually performs different and in time, the clutches will begin to slip and the actuator will start to be overstressed. This will eat your tires and strip that plastic/teflon wormgear.

In all cases the t-case fluid that came out was black. New is yellow-orange.

Once new fluid is in, as I said above you NEED to reset/re-adapt the transfer case for the new fluid. With the laptop this takes less than 5 minutes. Not sure how much the fluid is in the US, I paid close to 80 bux/qt at dealership if I remember correctly. Also not sure how much stealer will charge for this maintenance. Total time (lifting/drain-refill/lowering/software readapt) is about 1/2 hr - 45 min tops

Hope this helps
I am trying to change the transfer case fluid for the first time. Can you give detail how to reset the software and what tool requires?

Do we need to reset software when changing transmission fluid and differential fluids?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Tires:
Below is what the BMW TIS (Tech Info System) states about tires....the TIS is the reference 'manual' that BMW technicians use. Note the remark about tread depth allowable variance front/rear tires.

I'm pretty new to these AWD cars, I do know the owners manual for my 2012 X3 does NOT make ANY reference to tread depth differences when replacing tires. My 'guess' is that the transfer case in the F25 is not negatively affected by front/rear differences in tread depth - I presume if it were a potential issue that BMW would make that clear to the customer in the Owners Manual.

Good luck w/your transfer case issue!

Regards/Bill

Notes and specifications for tyre / wheel exchange
General:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be the same on one axle
To meet the BMW standards, the vehicle should be equipped with tyres from the same manufacturer and with the same tyre tread (tyres approved by BMW) on all 4 wheels
The difference in tyre tread depth on one axle must not exceed 2 mm (control quality of suspension control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
The tyres with the higher tread depths must be mounted on the rear axle
The DOT age difference must not exceed 4 years
The tyre pressure must be adjusted when the tyres are exchanged
Wheel exchange between the axles

The wheels may be exchanged between axles to achieve even abrasion. However, BMW does not recommend switching the front wheels to the rear or vice-versa.

The wheel exchange may lead to the following customer complaints:

complaints regarding acoustics
Risk of increased lane groove sensitivity
Compliance with the following requirements is required when exchanging wheels between the axles:

Assess the wear pattern
The tread difference between the front and rear wheels must not exceed a maximum of 2-3 mm
Exchange the wheels between the axles every 5000 Km

Additionally for all-wheel drive vehicles:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be identical on all wheels; if mixed tyres are fitted, different tyre sizes are permissible.
The tyre tread difference between tyres in all wheel positions must not exceed 2 mm (normal quality of the wheel control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

I personally think tires could have played a part. In spring this year I put on a set of Goodyear run flats that were used onto my X3. At the same time as i put them on i had been starting to do some 4th gear pulls since i was part of the MHD beta group. And I had noticed some hesitation and the same things as you described when going around corners. I had assumed it was part of the beta tune...I was wrong.

After doing a ton of other stuff to troubleshoot for a month or 2, i tried throwing on my winter tires and the problem went away. Tried a friends set of staggered X5 wheels and again the problem was gone. As soon as the goodyears were back on the problem would come back. I measured tread depth on them again and noticed there was a little variance, and apparently it was enough to cause problems. I ended up putting on a brand new set of tires and again the problem went away.

All was good but over time i noticed the problem slowly coming back. Checked the tires and they still look and measure good, so im guessing the damage was done. Took it to a local shop that specializes in german cars and had them take a look and they confirmed that it was the transfer case. Luckily when i bought it I decided to buy the powertrain warranty, so its all covered. They tried to get the warranty to buy a brand new one from BMW but they didnt go for that and are bringing in a remanufactured unit to put in. But cant wait for the new one so that it drives like normal again.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

As has been said above, change the transfer case fluid. I had the same issue and that took care of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Danielali
Rep

Transfer case fluid change took care of my issue. I think that's the first line of defense in such cases.
Appreciate 1
rcsup1151.50
      11-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Malboria
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I have a similar issue on my 2011 X3 35i, with only 36k miles. I recently replaced all 4 tires and started to see this behavior and it only does when am i making sharp turns (parking lot or my garage) at low RPM. Runs good at all other conditions, makes me think its the new tires. Saw several posts on 300 series forum and few said it got fixed when they got their steering rack changed, but for most of them the problem still persisted. Anyone has any new thoughts on this? Am thinking to change the transfer case fluid to begin with and do a wheel alignment..no diagnostics codes on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #13
Danielali
Rep

@Malboria
Yes, mine exhibited this behavior at sharp turns in parking lot as well, after I replaced two tires. The dealer told me to replace the transfer case for $5K, then I found an indy who actually pulled a diagnostic reading for transfer case fluid to be replaced, which he did for $150 and it's been driven for another 35k miles thereafter without any issue. I am not sure how/why your issue happened since you replaced all four tires, are all the same type and tread? Are they inflated the same? However, the transfer case fluid is a cheap way of ascertaining and even alleviating these symptoms before doing something more invasive and expensive. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:32 AM   #14
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/06/26...transfer-case/
      12-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

I’m having this issue on a used X3 (2007) I just bought. Going to try the fluid change see if helps. Anyone know of a way to reset the adaptive or do I have to go to a dealer/shop with scan tool to get the reset? Thank you.
If this doesn’t work second line of defence will be to change the servo motor gear.
If all that fails will have to go to indie bmw tech and see if can get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #16
bodiax3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

x3 transfer case problem

my 07 x3 was also having a weird thing where when turning right, it felt as if my front diff locked, and it dragged the front wheel, and after some time, it started to grind something inside. It turns out that the car was hit in the wheel earlier, and had damage inside the diff, and i would need replacement. While waiting to get it replaced, I looked into maybe somehow making it work for the time, like just in rwd? I found a forum that answered my question. they said that if u pull fuse #26, it will turn off the t-case control motor or whatever, and sure enough, my car runs great in rwd rn, tested it, and only rear wheels spin, and doesn't do the weird thing on turns anymore.
Appreciate 0