BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Customer Service

Awaiting delivery of X3 AW in January. The city I live in has only 2 Million people. So there is only two BMW dealers, both owned by the same franchise. After reading other threads thought I would have the dealer change the setting for the start/stop function. Here is the email exchange:

I said:
"I would also like to know if it is possible to have some factory software settings changed prior to delivery. For example I would like to have the default on the start/stop function change from “On” to “Last Setting”. I’m not a fan of this function and don’t intend to use it. So I’d rather avoid having to turn it off every time I drive the car."

Sales guy response:

"The Auto stop start function will have to be turned of each time you start the vehicle, this is quite an easy thing to do as the button is located next to the starter button."

My response:

"The on board software allows for an endless number of settings to be customised, the start/stop function being just one of them. Is XXXXXX (dealer name deleted) unwilling or unable to make requested changes?"

Dealer response:

"I will confirm this for you. I know from past customer requests that it is possible to have the system turned off but this will attract a fee due to the software that needs to be purchased for each particular vehicle."

Putting the arrogance of a one dealer town aside, is it true that the software needs to be purchased for each vehilce?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

No nothing needs to be purchased, it merely requires the changing of a setting within the current software that is active on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I wouldn't even bother talking with the Sales person, you would need to put a call into your service advisor at the dealer and let them know you would like it done when it arrives at the dealer for prep work. Sales people are clueless when it comes to things like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Although it's possible, they may refuse to do it. Someone posted that they asked in the UK and it was refused because of a legal requirement related to emissions. They could also charge you for the labour, particularly if requested outside of a service

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
the sales person dosent know crap.
If he is working in a BMW dealership trying to sale stuff, he should do his research on the cars to help the customer instead of making them regret their purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

They will simply not do it in Europe - Switzerland anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Since the political drive is towards economy and car companies give commitments to the EU etc to install Auto Stop Start et al then they clearly cannot be seen to go round turning it off!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

It would require shop time for someone to reprogram it. You would need to pay for that labor to do the work. It's a hassle they don't really want to mess with.

I would encourage you to try the auto stop feature. After months of driving it, it's become second nature to expect it and it does stop appropriately with our driving style here in the city.

Regardless, I don't think its worth battling the dealer over this. It's certainly not routine for them.
      11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
X3vader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
Awaiting delivery of X3 AW in January. The city I live in has only 2 Million people. So there is only two BMW dealers, both owned by the same franchise. After reading other threads thought I would have the dealer change the setting for the start/stop function. Here is the email exchange:

I said:
"I would also like to know if it is possible to have some factory software settings changed prior to delivery. For example I would like to have the default on the start/stop function change from “On” to “Last Setting”. I’m not a fan of this function and don’t intend to use it. So I’d rather avoid having to turn it off every time I drive the car."

Sales guy response:

"The Auto stop start function will have to be turned of each time you start the vehicle, this is quite an easy thing to do as the button is located next to the starter button."

My response:

"The on board software allows for an endless number of settings to be customised, the start/stop function being just one of them. Is XXXXXX (dealer name deleted) unwilling or unable to make requested changes?"

Dealer response:

"I will confirm this for you. I know from past customer requests that it is possible to have the system turned off but this will attract a fee due to the software that needs to be purchased for each particular vehicle."

Putting the arrogance of a one dealer town aside, is it true that the software needs to be purchased for each vehilce?

Just code it, and be done with it! also.... i think it was a recall to all customers that wish to turn it off, to go to the dealer and they would perform the work for free, look into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
cwaturner
14 X3 xDrive 28i; 16 RX350 F-Sport AWD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 28i M-Sport

I had mine turned off by the service department. There was no issue at all when I asked for it.
Appreciate 0