BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2023, 11:33 AM   #23
marco polo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 f25 N20 engine

mayhewt11

update: The tapping on the master cylinder was hitting the body with a flat head screw driving to see if would make something unstuck. That of course, didn't accomplish anything.
As of today Sept 21st the car is being used with the ABS module totally being unplugged. I did make a run yesterday driving like that with the screen full of fault warnings and even the steering wheel is not soft to turn.
But .......the rear brakes didn't start to bind during this drive. I asked my wife to carefully try using it like that but keeping an eye out to see if the brakes start binding as they usually do.

So today after work.....i'll see what she tells me and afterwards plug back the ABS again.
Test drive again and see if the binding starts again.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt the binding might be back......maybe its only your head hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:45 AM   #24
mayhewt11
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 35i xDrive

It is fixed!

I came across a thread showing others with the same issue, here's what they instructed and I did this exactly:

Go to eBay and buy a used DSC/ABS Valve Control Module, swap out the computer component of your current module (black part) which your car is programmed to, with the actual component of the used eBay part (the silver part)

I literally just unscrewed it, frankenstined them together, had the brakes bled completely, including full fluid purge, and the brakes have never once seized up again in 2 months. Hope this helps, here's the link!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013196
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:56 PM   #25
nicknackks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 X5 2016 F15 X5

I had read this post because I was having binding on our 2014 F25. I had checked the slide bushing and bled brakes but no improvement. I did master cylinder and the flexible rubber brake lines today and bled the brakes and this took care of it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:03 PM   #26
newworldman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashman 71 View Post
I have the same problem with my 2011 X3. Had brake pads replace twice, replaced the master cylinder too. since the problem occurs intermittently, the dealer couldn't "reproduce" the problem at first. After three days, they called me and said that the DSC module was bad. they would charge about $5000 to repair. I am a bit skeptical and have continued to drive carefully knowing the brakes will bind every time I drive. This is a dangerous situation. Have not tried rebuilding the brakes yet. Not a competent mechanic.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Hi Gashman. I'm a first time poster and I'm having the same problem that you are having. My problems are similar to yours and FRAS61. Everytime we get into the vehicle, the front brakes will engage slightly after 200 yards or so. Then it will drive relatively normal. However, the condition have turned very dangerous. I've noticed that when we are driving in wet weather, the front brakes will engage much harder. Three times, the brakes had dropped our highway speed (in rainy weather) from 60 mph to 40 mph in a couple of seconds. I've narrowly missed a rear end collision on the highway as a result. The brakes would not release and I had to use my hazaards to get off to the side of the road. The only way the brakes would release was to turn the vehicle off and then restart - allowing me to limp to my BMW mechanic. They gave me a 75% successful rate if they could flush my brake lines thinking that sludge had accumulated in them. They spent more hours trying to identify the problem than they are charging me to diagnose ($400). Their conclusion is a failed DSC control module. My x3 has 125,000 miles on it and in my opinion it's not worth fixing it for $5000 for a new one installed so they are looking for a used module to save me some $. I can't, in good conscious, sell this vehicle in this unsafe condition, but I'm also not going to spend ~$5000 on this to see if it works.

Gashman please let me know if your problem was resolved and what the solution was?

Please feel free to add to this thread if anyone had a similar situation where the replacement of the DSC Control Module fixed this?
Appreciate 0