BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d

Help needed - Doors unlock automatically??

Hi all,

So far this has happened once and I am hoping it is a once off incident. But I was hoping for some experts here to confirm if this is indeed possible.

I was driving at about 60 km/h with the doors closed and locked (it auto locks while driving). The driver side of the car went pass an uneven road where there was a sudden drop. It would feel like driving through a hole on the road. I always use this road and had no issues so far.

As soon as I drove pass the drop and hit the ground, the door decided to unlock itself and it shows on the instrument panel that the door is open as well. The door was not completely swung opened but it was as if it was not closed properly. I am sure everything was locked and closed and I had been driving for about 30 minutes already.

Is this a safety feature? Maybe it thinks I hit something. I am really confused at why this would occur.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
tatsu666
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

take it to dealership for safety sake.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Years ago I remember my E36 M3 had a collision sensor that would unlock the doors in the event of an accident. I think this feature might be standard for most modern vehicles. Maybe the shock of the drop triggered this sensor and the system did exactly what it was designed to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL View Post
Hi all,

So far this has happened once and I am hoping it is a once off incident. But I was hoping for some experts here to confirm if this is indeed possible.

I was driving at about 60 km/h with the doors closed and locked (it auto locks while driving). The driver side of the car went pass an uneven road where there was a sudden drop. It would feel like driving through a hole on the road. I always use this road and had no issues so far.

As soon as I drove pass the drop and hit the ground, the door decided to unlock itself and it shows on the instrument panel that the door is open as well. The door was not completely swung opened but it was as if it was not closed properly. I am sure everything was locked and closed and I had been driving for about 30 minutes already.

Is this a safety feature? Maybe it thinks I hit something. I am really confused at why this would occur.

Thanks!
Where you wearing a jeans with the key in your side pocket along with other keys or stuffs? Sometimes due to bumps the unlock button in your keyfob would have pressed accidentally.

It used to happen in my Saab, the ignition is in center console and while turning the key on for ignition I will accidentally press the trunk open button.

Last edited by saulgoodman; 02-01-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsu666 View Post
take it to dealership for safety sake.
Will be bringing it back to the dealership next week for something else. Will mention this to them as well. Hopefully they will do something cause since it is a once off, I am afraid they will do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Where you wearing a jeans with the key in your side pocket along with other keys or stuffs? Sometimes due to bumps the unlock button in your keyfob would have pressed accidentally.

It used to happen in my Saab, the ignition is in center console and while turning the key on for ignition I will accidentally press the trunk open button.
The problem was it was not only unlocked but the door open sign was also on which meant the door was not closed properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Try and replicate...

See if you can get the car to do the same thing again. Hit the road (maybe even a little faster to try and trigger the same thing)... and see what happens.

You're probably right, if you can't replicate it, they probably won't know what to "fix"...

I'm guessing the drop off was about 3-4 inches (8-10 cm)?

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
See if you can get the car to do the same thing again. Hit the road (maybe even a little faster to try and trigger the same thing)... and see what happens.

You're probably right, if you can't replicate it, they probably won't know what to "fix"...

I'm guessing the drop off was about 3-4 inches (8-10 cm)?
I go through that road on my way to work. So I have been trying to replicate it but have failed to do so.

Yup. probably about 3-4 inches. Enough to feel a thump.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

The dealer said that this is a safety feature of the car when it detects an impact.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Hmm
I'm suspicious of that response from the dealer. I'm quite happy to be proved wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time) but here is how I understand the US version of the X3 to work.

There are airbag sensors that look at the pressure in each of the doors (to detect a side impact); a front sensor on each of the engine supports at the front (to detect a front end bump); a roll rate sensor in the ICM module (integrated chassis management); and a vertical acceleration sensor in the ICM.

These sensors are monitored by the Advanced Crash Safety Module - which determines the direction and severity of the crash. This information is used to generate an appropriate response from the inbuilt safety features - known as actuators (airbags; door locks; seatbelt tensioners; fuel pump power; hazard flashers; interior lights; transmit emergency call etc)

My understanding is that, if one or more actuators are activated, a crash entry is stored within the car. As such, the dealer should able to view this entry by plugging into the car using their diagnostic equipment.

The European version is similar except for the sensor locations (one lat/long sensor in each of the B pillars; one lat/long sensor in the ICM; a roll rate sensor in the ICM (only with the dynamic damper control option); and a vertical acceleration sensor in the ICM.

I'm not sure about the Aussie versions - but I can't believe they are much different to the above

So, the reason I am sceptical about your dealer's response is that:-
A) a pretty big event would need to take place in order to release the central locking system
B) this event should be logged in the car's memory and
C) I'm doubtful that the only response would have been to open the car door locks (without some other response from the safety systems)

I hope that makes sense

Cheers
Plob

Last edited by plob; 02-08-2012 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
Hmm
I'm suspicious of that response from the dealer. I'm quite happy to be proved wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time) but here is how I understand the US version of the X3 to work.

There are airbag sensors that look at the pressure in each of the doors (to detect a side impact); a front sensor on each of the engine supports at the front (to detect a front end bump); a roll rate sensor in the ICM module (integrated chassis management); and a vertical acceleration sensor in the ICM.

These sensors are monitored by the Advanced Crash Safety Module - which determines the direction and severity of the crash. This information is used to generate an appropriate response from the inbuilt safety features - known as actuators (airbags; door locks; seatbelt tensioners; fuel pump power; hazard flashers; interior lights; transmit emergency call etc)

My understanding is that, if one or more actuators are activated, a crash entry is stored within the car. As such, the dealer should able to view this entry by plugging into the car using their diagnostic equipment.

The European version is similar except for the sensor locations (one lat/long sensor in each of the B pillars; one lat/long sensor in the ICM; a roll rate sensor in the ICM (only with the dynamic damper control option); and a vertical acceleration sensor in the ICM.

I'm not sure about the Aussie versions - but I can't believe they are much different to the above

So, the reason I am sceptical about your dealer's response is that:-
A) a pretty big event would need to take place in order to release the central locking system
B) this event should be logged in the car's memory and
C) I'm doubtful that the only response would have been to open the car door locks (without some other response from the safety systems)

I hope that makes sense

Cheers
Plob
I do agree with you that the dealer might not be correct but I am not sure if there is anything else I can do since they are the "experts". Since it only happened once so far, it is also a bit hard to push it any further.

I had another problem where I had Auto Hold and Auto Start Stop on. I stopped the car at the lights and then quickly press the accelerator (less than a split of a second) as the lights turn green. But the car would not move as it was on P. I told the dealer this and they concluded that it might be the door latch issue which might both be related cause if the system detects the latch being loose, it would switch to P from D. I did mention that both incidents did not happen at the same time but they seem to think they are related. They have now claimed to have adjusted the door latches which hopefully fixes the issue. I guess I can only wait and see if the problem does indeed occur again.
Appreciate 0