BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Jonas12
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Unhappy Driving noise

Hi. I don't own an X3 but considering on buying it. Just did a test drive in a 2.0 liter diesel with auto. transmission (in the city, out of the city on 2-lane roads (driving at 90-100 km/h) and a highway (driving at 120-140 km/h)). Overall all 3 drives were good (good car handling, not too bumpy, etc.), though there were times when transmission was giving surprises (e.g. a sudden surge with very moderate push on the gas pedal at times, and a much slower response at some other times even though pushed harder).

However, when the smile really faded from my face was when on a highway I took it above 120 km/h. At 130-140 the noise from the side mirrors started to be heard at a level where I thought I was driving a Chinese car or something. Our family owns a new VW Toureg (it's a bit larger, but same price level), and it has nothing of this high noice issue at any speed (and in my mind overall is super great vehicle, really recommend it).

Since my work involves quite a lot of highway driving (at 130-140 statutory speed limit), I certainly wouldn't be too thrilled to be spending hours in a noisy environment. Did any of you who've been driving the 2nd generation X3 encounter this sort of issue / observation? If yes, does it fade away with time (i.e. do you get used to it)? Also, any way to fix it in the car?

Last edited by Jonas12; 09-22-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I've read in other posts that excessive road noise for several people was caused by poor/incorrectly installed door seals.

You may want to try a different x3 to see if the noise remains.