BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

US vs. UK Delivery Lead Times

I asked BMW UK to explain why a US customer can order a car and get a turn around in a matter of weeks.

This was their answer:

"I have been liaising directly with our Dealer Planning Department and now able to address your query regarding the US Market receiving the orders of their BMW X3 in a shorter time period to our UK Customers.

Firstly, the American market is very different to the market in the UK. The US rarely receive any orders for a specified vehicle order, the majority of cars are built to stock. This means that a customer can receive their vehicle very quickly from a pool of stock vehicles available. This does not happen in the UK as the BMW X3 is sold with specified customer orders, we are not building any stock vehicles and dealers only have limited numbers of demonstrators available. This is a massive difference between the two markets, the US market generally do not build cars to a customer specification, the customer chooses a car which is already built.

If a US customer does want a build to order car, we have been informed by BMW USA that there is approximately a 8 week lead time from order to delivery. This is quicker than the UK market, but there is a much shorter delivery time involved."

Correct me if I am wrong, but every person in the US here seems to be making custom orders?

Has anyone ordered a car and had it delivered from "stock"?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I think most people on this (or any other forum) are probably custom ordering cars- as we are more of the "fanatics" about BMW and cars in general. But, if a car in dealer stock had met my specs, I would've purchased it. However, I wanted a loaded 28i - rare. Easier to get a loaded 35i- but then you're in X5 and 5 series territory.

Also, the card are built here, and from what I have been reading here- US customers (depending on location) are seeing an average turn around time of 21 days.

Ordered the car on 5/7- due to be completed tomorrow 5/15. Couple days at VPC, then trucked to Connecticut from North Carolina. We hope to see it by next Saturday 5/26.

Remember UK X3 cars are being shipped (opposite of cars coming from Germany). If we order a German built car like a 535, we must wait along with the rest of the world for delivery as it must be shipped. But I'm sure Europe sees a 5 series custom order much quicker than 6-8 weeks.
      05-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

It took 56 days from order to delivery for my X3 (Canada)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Actually, I think delivery times are "what a market will bare": Americans don't have the patience to aff about (and will order elsewhere), whereas us Brits will allow the car companies to walk all over us.

Husband ordered a 528i mid-February, they STILL haven't given him an allocation (or expected delivery date): we are truly peeved! It is SOMETHING to do with the new N20 (2.8i engine): as far as we can tell, there just isn't any "allocation" of this engine available for the UK (not just 5 Series, but also a problem with 3 Series too). This is the same 2.8i that is going to the US to roll off of the production line in the MY13 X3....

Even before this, in the UK you would still look at a 10/12 week delivery time on a 5 Series.

I believe that Americans can order (German made) Q5s in not far off 5 weeks turnaround (including delivery!) too. Not a surprise: Audi need to compete with BMW....

So Horsey, I think what you have been told isn't correct at all: most X3 orders in the US ARE custom orders. Well, regardless, custom ordered X3s are being churned out - and delivered - within a month... Assuming You allowed 4/6 weeks to be added for UK delivery, we should be able to get one within 2 months of ordering (as opposed to an average of 5).

But it is all down to "what a market can stand": BMW dearly want to be a player in the US market for SUVs - so they give the US market the allocations and those outside the US have to wait.

QT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Mapleoakrose
United_States
Rep
Drives: 28 X3 Red ordered, Camry XLE,

I have ordered a loaded 28i on 26th May, and the factory is 2 miles from my home , let's see when it arrives! No VIN or Pod#

Update: The phone system says it is in production and expected completion date is 06/15. Website is still Chillin out sayeth no production date.

Sitting on for a delivery truck for abt a week to haul it 4 miles......shear ridiculous! Scared what will be the service afterwards, dealership is so busy won't talk, their lot seems not moving though.

Last edited by Mapleoakrose; 06-21-2012 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

our options are mostly in packages which makes it easier to produce vs the uk market where you can choose from a long list of custom order options
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Ordered my 20i in Belgium through "direct sales" (i.e. diplo/military) which according to the saleswoman at the importer, should go "much faster", but still had to wait five months before delivery...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Mapleoakrose
United_States
Rep

Plant is closed till July 16th , re-thinking to move on from X3
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
Ordered my 20i in Belgium through "direct sales" (i.e. diplo/military) which according to the saleswoman at the importer, should go "much faster", but still had to wait five months before delivery...

can you give me the contact details of the saleswoman? my local belgian dealer is trying to talk me off the 'direct sales' option and insists on 'local order' ...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleoakrose View Post
Plant is closed till July 16th , re-thinking to move on from X3
what do you mean the plant is clossed til July 16th - are they changing, improving something in a production process/line?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Here is the UK F25 production output (as best as I can work out) ...

Would appear to have ramped down in the last month.

... maybe the robots have gone on strike for more pay for having to work during the Olympics?
Attached Images

F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
can you give me the contact details of the saleswoman? my local belgian dealer is trying to talk me off the 'direct sales' option and insists on 'local order' ...
Direct Sales only applies if you are entitled to them: diplomatic and military sales ( http://www.bmw.be/be/nl/general/dire...new/index.html)

contact details:
Leona Struyf
BMW Group Belux
Special Markets
Lodderstraat 16
B-2880 Bornem
Belgium
Tel. +32 (0)3 890 97 02
Fax +32 (0)3 890 50 22
leona.struyf@bmw.be

(Ms. Struyf is a pleasure to deal with; she has been extremely helpful in my case)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Mapleoakrose
United_States
Rep

Yearly maintenance closure, as I understand, always around 4th July
Appreciate 0