BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
teegee
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

front fog lamps

Got my new 35i 10 days ago, drove down to the in-laws at the weekend (800km round trip) - really enjoyed the drive but managed to crack the front fog lamp glass cover on the way down...

The wife phoned up to see how much it would cost to replace, and was quoted 23k yen (280 USD)... I'm presuming that that's for the whole bulb as well, but jeez!

Had a quick google but couldn't find anywhere selling just the glass cover, so I've two questions for you guys -

1) anyone done the same and bought just the glass cover for an X3 or any other bimmer?

2) know if you can get protective cover for the fog lamps?

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The older design was much simpler...

This needs to be replaced from the backside of the bumper, and this may require taking off the bumper cover.

And YES you can install protective film so this will never happen again.

Enjoy your x-car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee View Post
Got my new 35i 10 days ago, drove down to the in-laws at the weekend (800km round trip) - really enjoyed the drive but managed to crack the front fog lamp glass cover on the way down...

The wife phoned up to see how much it would cost to replace, and was quoted 23k yen (280 USD)... I'm presuming that that's for the whole bulb as well, but jeez!

Had a quick google but couldn't find anywhere selling just the glass cover, so I've two questions for you guys -

1) anyone done the same and bought just the glass cover for an X3 or any other bimmer?

2) know if you can get protective cover for the fog lamps?

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
teegee
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

Thanks red-sauerkraut !
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I had a 3 series once that needed two new fog lights every year. It was a design flaw, the plastic was too thin. As long as there is no body damage, it is obvious that you did not hit anything. I would insist that the deal replace it under warranty. It should not crack, just from road gravel. This is a BMW, not a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
antp
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3 se

I have a x3 f25 2.0 diesel SE Auto (12 Reg UK) - first front fog light glass cracked when car about 8 weeks old. Had the unit replaced. Now just happend again (near side unit again) car now about 13 weeks old. No signs of external damage from stones etc just cracks from the edge of the glass and spreads out. The car is used for work so getting a lot of use (8K miles) so far. Thought it might be worth posting in case other people are having the same issue...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

If BMW wouldn't replace it under warranty, maybe you can try claiming it to your insurance?

This thread made me go and check for my fog light lens
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
antp
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3 se

Quote:
Originally Posted by antp View Post
I have a x3 f25 2.0 diesel SE Auto (12 Reg UK) - first front fog light glass cracked when car about 8 weeks old. Had the unit replaced. Now just happend again (near side unit again) car now about 13 weeks old. No signs of external damage from stones etc just cracks from the edge of the glass and spreads out. The car is used for work so getting a lot of use (8K miles) so far. Thought it might be worth posting in case other people are having the same issue...
BMW have now replaced it under warranty but said that they have no reports of other X3 F25 having similar issues or was there any fault found with mine. Here is a picture of the cracked light. I'm hoping the new one lasts longer than the last two otherwise I'll be back at the garage in 8 weeks time!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

sorry to bump this thread. my left fog light is also cracked similar to antp's picture above. when i touch it, i do not feel anything hit it to cause the crack. how do i approach my stealership to replace it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Sireal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i

Garage List
Mine is cracked too. I assumed it was road rocks from the brutal winter we had in the NE USA this year. I will have to rethink basis this string. I found online a replacement for the full assembly for $140 USD. Someone in this forum has pictures on how to replace it, it appears very easy, just held in by a clip. BTW my dealer asked $340 USD to replace it. I have yet to fix it. Basis this I may go back to dealer and push for warranty claim.
      05-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireal View Post
Mine is cracked too. I assumed it was road rocks from the brutal winter we had in the NE USA this year. I will have to rethink basis this string. I found online a replacement for the full assembly for $140 USD. Someone in this forum has pictures on how to replace it, it appears very easy, just held in by a clip. BTW my dealer asked $340 USD to replace it. I have yet to fix it. Basis this I may go back to dealer and push for warranty claim.
let me know how that goes. knowing that there are other members who's havin same issue definitely spells design flaw. i do hate going to the stealership..........sighhhh...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

I'm not sure how you'd justify claiming it as a warranty claim. I'm assuming a rock was kicked up and broke the glass. That's not BMW's fault.

If it just cracked due to temperature or design flaw, then I could see that.

I did have my tow hook cover replaced under warranty. It doesn't fit terribly tight, and I think it just fell off (or was stolen.) They replaced it under good faith. That's probably the only chance you'd have for them replacing it.
      05-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I'm not sure how you'd justify claiming it as a warranty claim. I'm assuming a rock was kicked up and broke the glass. That's not BMW's fault.

If it just cracked due to temperature or design flaw, then I could see that.

I did have my tow hook cover replaced under warranty. It doesn't fit terribly tight, and I think it just fell off (or was stolen.) They replaced it under good faith. That's probably the only chance you'd have for them replacing it.
our winter season was terrible and the cold temperature definitely has a factor in cracking it. i glossed over the fog light with my thumb, the crack definitely came from inside not a rock cracking it as you have assumed.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

I think it's hard to say for sure that the cold did it. Heck - I drove all over the place this winter in -10 deg F and don't have cracks. I do have a cracked windshield, though, and that was certainly a rock hitting it.
      05-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Ours are both cracked and were before winter set in this past year. The dealer will not replace them. They claim it is rock related which simply is not the case. Maybe we need to elevate this issue some how so BMW is more aware of this common failure. Our insurance would replace them as glass breakage, but the total is only about a hundred bucks over our deductible, so I do not think it is worth filing a claim.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

i also got denied by stealership for my left fog light
I didnt notice it until recently when i hand wash it. i went through petro 90 days car wash whole winter. he said it's already June, but dude it took me 3 weeks to book. I asked if he can escalate to BMW Canada, he said it will take 1 or 2 days...his tone does not sound promising...im not forking out 350+tax for this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

My fog lamp smashed a few weeks ago but the bulb remained intact and still worked. New lamp unit was £125 complete with bulb (didn't need the bulb but bmw won't sell the unit separately). Replacement is a 5 minute job, you do not need to remove the bumper there is a clip at the top of the unit which can be eased with a screwdriver. Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again!
      06-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
My fog lamp smashed a few weeks ago but the bulb remained intact and still worked. New lamp unit was £125 complete with bulb (didn't need the bulb but bmw won't sell the unit separately). Replacement is a 5 minute job, you do not need to remove the bumper there is a clip at the top of the unit which can be eased with a screwdriver. Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again!
did you get a DIY guide online? if so, please share.

i might get the part and then get an independent shop to install it
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

UPDATE:

they finally replaced the fog light for free. i belive it was just the casing that they replaced.
first they quoted me $350+ and i was like wtf and told service advisor to go talk to bmw canada.

For those of you who has same issue, do NOT agree to paying right away. complain!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #19
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
I got quoted $530 for this job!!!!!!

Please verify that I can remove the whole assembly from the front. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Guys just to let you know you can upgrade to LED foglights for $60:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...l#.VSwpoGB0w-U

It is advertised for X5 but they are the same lights for X3, X4 and X6. If you install these you just need to disable the bulb check and code the brightness to 100%.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I got quoted $530 for this job!!!!!!

Please verify that I can remove the whole assembly from the front. Thank you!
Yes, you can pull it out from the front using a flat head screwdriver. That's what I did to replace the bulbs the other day. It's 5 min job for sure.

Insert flat head screwdriver, flat face up into the metal tab. Turn the screwdriver 90 degrees (effectively pushing the tab down). Then lift the fog light UP using the black plastic tab on the front/top of the assembly. Then pull out the fog light assembly from bumper.
      04-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #22
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Yes, you can pull it out from the front using a flat head screwdriver. That's what I did to replace the bulbs the other day. It's 5 min job for sure.
Thanks! Got everything resolved. My dealership said that their "Service Database" quoted a 3 hour job and their "Maintenance Database" quoted it a 10 minute job. Once I pointed it out, I got a million apologies and saved myself a bunch of $$ in the end
Appreciate 0