BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
Strigz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Polished Aluminum Wheels?

This is going to probably be a pretty dumb post, but I believe factory BMW wheels are usually aluminum alloy (from what I've read). As for aftermarket, I come from the diesel truck world where every wheel is polished aluminum, are there any aftermarket wheels that are similar? Can be stripped down and polished? Can the factory wheels be stripped down and polished? I prefer to not have a chrome wheel because I've seen how badly they end up during the winter and you can't sand them down and refinish them like you can with aluminum wheels. From my experience, Aluminum wheels have been easier to repair. Like I said, might be a dumb post, but I figured I'd just ask it to get it out of my system
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
doooooooook
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

Almost any wheel you would find on a BMW would be aluminum alloy. Yes, they could be stripped and polished for that shiny finish.

However, a good chrome finish that is treated properly will always look better than polished aluminum (in my opinion). Its brighter and deeper.
Appreciate 1
Strigz45.00
      09-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Strigz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doooooooook View Post
Almost any wheel you would find on a BMW would be aluminum alloy. Yes, they could be stripped and polished for that shiny finish.

However, a good chrome finish that is treated properly will always look better than polished aluminum (in my opinion). Its brighter and deeper.
Super helpful thank you for your reply. Do you have any chrome wheels in particular that you like?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
doooooooook
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

It's just like any finish. If you like the wheel style, find a local place to refinish them. Chrome all the things!

I was planning on rebuilding a set of 3pc Work wheels for my last car and my plan was to have the faces chromed, as well as chrome lips. It was worth the premium over a polished aluminum finish. But that car got put back to stock and traded in on my X3.
Appreciate 1
Strigz45.00
      09-14-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
Strigz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doooooooook View Post
It's just like any finish. If you like the wheel style, find a local place to refinish them. Chrome all the things!

I was planning on rebuilding a set of 3pc Work wheels for my last car and my plan was to have the faces chromed, as well as chrome lips. It was worth the premium over a polished aluminum finish. But that car got put back to stock and traded in on my X3.
Ill have to start looking for places around me that can refinish my stock wheels, that would be a killer look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0