BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #45
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I just ordered my X3 28i. I think it rides and handles fine. I traded my 08 e90 with a sport package. You can feel the road better with this steering and it handles the curves better. Remember this is a SUV not a sports car. The e90 sets lower to the ground and the car is wider. I will agree that I wish the steering was more like the e90 and I do have regular tires and not the sh***Y run flats. Try this, take your car off road and what will your opinion be about the sports car performace.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #46
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I come from a different set of reference points. I drove the original X3 and it had a very crude suspension setup with too little travel and too much bound stiffness to prevent roll. It was significantly stiffer than my 996 C4S at that time. The new X3 has leaps and bounds better suspension but has too much steering weight and self centering to mask the lack of feel. It's the classic deception. Also steering weight changes under different circumstances and speeds - so it's non-linear and not too predictable. Maybe for a "UV" that's OK but if you want to DRIVE this vehicle I'm not sure it's good enough.

I've not driven an X3 with the DHP set up so no idea how that affects steering feel and suspension. The dealer well north of Chicago I test drove an X3 with didn't have one with DHP so no joy.

And I refuse to do business with the shyster of a dealer in downtown Chicago. Quote "BMW have gone green so don't do printed brochures anymore, you just download them from the internet." To which the response was "I hear BMW is getting rid of salesmen at dealerships too because they don't need them anymore - you can just do business directly over the internet." Put that in your modem and smoke it!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #47
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I think the comments in the original post are not related the a subjective view of the poster but to the car itself. I believe there are some serious quality issues with some new x3's. Propabely caused by bas quality control in the American plant. Let me clarify this theory with my own experience with the X3 so far.

Last month I've test driven 3 different X3s (F25):

1st X3: Had dynamic damping control but no active sport steering. This car hadeled as described by the poster, it was extremely wobly, it felt like a boat that was moving over the waves at sea :-s . Once this test drive was over I was super dissapointed and at that point I was 90% convinced that I could/wanted not to drive a car with crappy dive characteristics like this.

2nd X3: I decided to give it another chance after reading tons of good feedback and positive reviews, this car did not have Dynamic damping control and had the normal springs. This X3 already handeled a lot better, and when I say "a lot", I really mean difference like heaven and hell! The wobly feeling was almost not existant and the car hadeled quite good, not like a ultimate driving machine, but still more than acceptble.

3rd X3: Wanted to convince myself if I would go for the X3 or 5-series touring. This X3 had almost every option and did also have the dynamic damping control, sport steering, etc... This car hadeled like a dream, no wobely feeling at all, perfect grip in sharp cornes, little to no body roll! At this point I was sure, if my car would handle like this, then this is the X3 I want! 3 days later I ordered the X3, also with almost all options marked for my new baby

Conclusion: There is something wrong with some X3s, not all of them but some.... it seems to be like lottery wheter you are going to get a good one or not. IMHO there can be only 1 reason for this: Bad quality control at the US plant!

Readin these forums really makes me scared on what I'm going to get, some people have terrible wind noises in their cars (comming from the doorsealings, not the driver ;-) ), some people experience bad handeling, some people have issues with the flat spots on their run flats, etc... and some people just get one hell of a good ride, I really really hope I'm going to be one of the last group... spending 70.000€ for a peace of crap would really piss me off!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #48
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
I think the comments in the original post are not related the a subjective view of the poster but to the car itself. I believe there are some serious quality issues with some new x3's. Propabely caused by bas quality control in the American plant. Let me clarify this theory with my own experience with the X3 so far.

1st X3: Had dynamic damping control but no active sport steering. This car hadeled as described by the poster, it was extremely wobly, it felt like a boat that was moving over the waves at sea :-s . Once this test drive was over I was super dissapointed and at that point I was 90% convinced that I could/wanted not to drive a car with crappy dive characteristics like this.

2nd X3: I decided to give it another chance after reading tons of good feedback and positive reviews, this car did not have Dynamic damping control and had the normal springs. This X3 already handeled a lot better, and when I say "a lot", I really mean difference like heaven and hell! The wobly feeling was almost not existant and the car hadeled quite good, not like a ultimate driving machine, but still more than acceptble.

3rd X3: Wanted to convince myself if I would go for the X3 or 5-series touring. This X3 had almost every option and did also have the dynamic damping control, sport steering, etc... This car hadeled like a dream, no wobely feeling at all, perfect grip in sharp cornes, little to no body roll! At this point I was sure, if my car would handle like this, then this is the X3 I want! 3 days later I ordered the X3, also with almost all options marked for my new baby

Conclusion: There is something wrong with some X3s, not all of them but some.... it seems to be like lottery wheter you are going to get a good one or not. IMHO there can be only 1 reason for this: Bad quality control at the US plant!

Readin these forums really makes me scared on what I'm going to get, some people have terrible wind noises in their cars (comming from the doorsealings, not the driver ;-) ), some people experience bad handeling, some people have issues with the flat spots on their run flats, etc... and some people just get one hell of a good ride, I really really hope I'm going to be one of the last group... spending 70.000€ for a peace of crap would really piss me off!
First year models always a risk before they iron out the kinks, so cross your fingers
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #49
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post

I'm already one of the first group !

Been to the garage today.
EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation) makes noise and does not work very well.
There's also to much backlash on the wheelhouse, so they will change the complete thing.
Also problems with flat spots on the run flats.
And the noise of the 2.0d is als very bad ...
In 2 weeks 2 days in the garage to fix everything !
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #50
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven40 View Post

There's also to much backlash on the wheelhouse, so they will change the complete thing.
That's fucked up mate, sorry to hear that! How is the service at the garage for these issues, are they helpful? What garage did you get yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #51
Steven40
Private
Rep

Yes, they are very helpful. In the end they want a contented customer.
I have a very good contact with Alexander the salesman from Monserez in Kortrijk, he's also active on the Belgian Autowereld forum.
They communicate a lot with the headquarter in Bornem to solve the problems.
It's already the second car in the garage with problems with flaws at the wheelhouse.
Also the runflats are very uncomfortable, the first miles in the morning are terrible. It's like the tires are octagonal, how colder how worser.
So I think they will change the runflats by non runflats.
I asked them if this problem should be solved on a car with VDC and they said no.
So BMW has still a lot of work to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #52
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERVJOHNS View Post
While still not perfect, the handling and steering at high speed has improved by lowering the air pressure in the tires to 32 psi, which is the pressure specified on the sticker in the door column.

The car was delivered at 34 psi, and I briefly tried 36 and 38 psi, which made things worse. So with 32 psi the ride quality is greatly improved, although still a little "floaty" and with typical RFT harshness.
Yes. More pressure will worsen the ride comfort.

Get summer non-run flat tires and handling will improve. Sportier shocks and thicker anti-roll bars and handling will improve further.
      05-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #53
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Unfortunately if you've not driven a 911 you have no idea what you're missing. The X3 has steering weight but no feel. You just cannot feel what the tires are doing and when they are keyed in, and when they're going to let go. But in the end it's a truck not a sports car so maybe you should not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #54
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Don't agree. It may feel different, but you can feel. Question is more whether one can learn it, or are only wedded to one system and one car.
      05-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #55
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: X3

Rather unwisely, I will stick my head into this very opinionated discussion and give my 2c on the experiences of F25 vs E83. I had a first generation E83 and also the revamped E83 model from 2007, before moving to the 2011 X3. Put very simply, the overall quality of the car has improved immensely with each new update. However if I rated the ride quality, things are somewhat different, although not by much.

Comfort-wise, there is no doubt the new 2011 wins hands down. The old E83s sometimes felt like they were intent on making me throw up after every meal I had. I will concur with those who said that feeling every pothole on the pavement does not equate to good handling. I will not even start on the various strange body structure sounds emanating from the E83s - some of them were quite scary .

The first E83 was easily the most spartan model. In terms of handling though, the worst performer (at least in my case) was the 2007 E83. It still had all the ride discomfort of the first generation but not as much stability and road grip (don't get me even started on the famous gear shifting problems). The F25 (and I have a 28i with no damping control) is by far the best performer (although to be really fair I would have to test it in winter). Yes, the steering feedback is different from before, but the road grip is there and (after lowering the tire pressure somewhat) I do not feel every bump in the road.

So IMHO, the F25 is a much better car than the E83. But then, I have a friend who still swears that BMW hasn't made a good product since the old 2002 so "de gustibus non discutarum"

Last edited by Ultimate Driver; 05-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #56
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
Rather unwisely, I will stick my head into this very opinionated discussion and give my 2c on the experiences of F25 vs E83. I had a first generation E83 and also the revamped E83 model from 2007, before moving to the 2011 X3. Put very simply, the overall quality of the car has improved immensely with each new update. However if I rated the ride quality, things are somewhat different, although not by much.

Comfort-wise, there is no doubt the new 2011 wins hands down. The old E83s sometimes felt like they were intent on making me throw up after every meal I had. I will concur with those who said that feeling every pothole on the pavement does not equate to good handling. I will not even start on the various strange body structure sounds emanating from the E83s - some of them were quite scary .

The first E83 was easily the most spartan model. In terms of handling though, the worst performer (at least in my case) was the 2007 E83. It still had all the ride discomfort of the first generation but not as much stability and road grip (don't get me even started on the famous gear shifting problems). The F25 (and I have a 28i with no damping control) is by far the best performer (although to be really fair I would have to test it in winter). Yes, the steering feedback is different from before, but the road grip is there and (after lowering the tire pressure somewhat) I do not feel every bump in the road.

So IMHO, the F25 is a much better car than the E83. But then, I have a friend who still swears that BMW hasn't made a good product since the old 2002 so "de gustibus non discutarum"
I was wondering what you lowered the tire pressure to?
Also what size wheels are you running?

I also had a 2004 and a 2010 X3 and agree with what you said about those versions.
With the bad roads here I chose to stick with the 17” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #57
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERVJOHNS View Post
The ride quality on our new X3 is really poor. Twitchy on the highway and floaty on side roads.

We have 245/55 R17 Bridgestone Duelers and the tire pressure from the factory/dealer was 34 all around. Door sticker says 32 all around.

I am going to try 36 an see if that helps, but overall the ride of the car is really disappointing. I am sure the RFT tires share some of the blame but I think BMW is losing it's way on suspension tuning and ride quality. There is just no excuse for the sloppy ride.

Is this what everybody is seeing or is there a problem with this car?
that's a very "comforting" thread just weeks before we are picking up our 28i !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #58
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I was wondering what you lowered the tire pressure to?
Also what size wheels are you running?

I also had a 2004 and a 2010 X3 and agree with what you said about those versions.
18" RFTs. The pressure was originally adjusted to 32 psig but the dealership guys fiddled with it afterwards, so I am not sure what it ended up at. I will have to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #59
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
With my awful roads, I wonder how my M-Sport would look in 17" rims for I want the comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #60
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 CB X3 35i MS; 07 BS M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
With my awful roads, I wonder how my M-Sport would look in 17" rims for I want the comfort
Yesterday I picked up my M Sport with the Dynamic Handling Package and M Double Spoke 310 Light Alloy 20" Wheels and Pirelli Pzero RFT Tires. I have to say based on the approximately 50 miles that I drove it; I was extremely impressed at how controlled and compliant the ride was. This was over various road conditions including Chicago’s notoriously potholed streets. Even when I had the X3 in Sport or Sport + mode, the ride did not beat me up. I moved from a 2005 X5 with sport package with 19” wheels/tires and my early impression is that the X3 rides smoother yet feels more stable and controlled.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #61
Steven40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven40 View Post

Normally it was for today but the garage phoned me that the part wasn't in stock in Germany.
There were already lots of cars that the wheelhouse was changed.
The original piece is too light, there is too much space between the toothing.
Normally there is a total recall of all X3 for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #62
Steven40
Private
Rep

Finally my car is in the garage this week to fix everything !
They just received a whole new and stronger wheelhouse from BMW.
The turbo is also changed and I heard it's a big improvement,
because there was to much pressure from the turbo that the
EGR valve made noise.
They also will look to the "klunk" from the brakes.
Now I have a car from the garage, a new 5 and he drives very nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #63
Steven40
Private
Rep

I forgot they will look to change the runflats.
On the 5 there are non runflat 17 inch and they drive a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post

I had a 2004 and 2010 X3 and agree with your assessment.
I consider the F25 to be a vast improvement in ride quality and overall quality too.
Appreciate 0