BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

So here' s the update on the wind noise. Dealer ordered new rubber trim guides and they took three weeks since they had to come from Germany. Picked up the car and haven't driven enough yet to see if the noise is gone. I Hope so!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #24
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Well lets sure the replacement works, if not maybe an alignment! Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #25
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Here is my unfortunate update. The dealer finally received the door seals from Germany after a 3 week wait. They had an inexperienced service person install them, who managed to mar the interior door panel in a couple of places and scratch the paint on the inside of the door. I've taken pictures of the damage, and spoken to the dealership, who said they will make things "right" and replace all the damaged trim. They have been fair in the past, and are usually concerned about customer satisfaction, so I'm hoping they will get it right next time.

The wind noise.... Although it has lessened, I think there is still more noise than there should be. I think if they had an experienced person doing the work, the problem would have been totally fixed.

Anybody else with driver's side wind noise have a positive experience to report?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #26
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I don't so much have wind issues, but I do hear passing traffic more loudly than in my previous car (a merc c-class). I have had a look around the seals - given what is posted hear - and everything is sealing properly. It is precisely the same level of noise from the driver and passenger side.

It isn't so bad that I feel the need to rush back and get it looked at, but just wondered if other people who had moved either from Merc or another marque had noticed this too. I was in a colleague's Vauxhall yesterday and it was a lot louder than my X3. Maybe my Merc was just really good at this.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #27
stephx3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2009 X3 had terrible wind noise from the passenger side window.

My 2011 is in today Hopefully, i won't have that problem with this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep

Mine is going in tomorrow for this problem. the wind noise is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #29
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephx3 View Post
2009 X3 had terrible wind noise from the passenger side window.

My 2011 is in today Hopefully, i won't have that problem with this one.
What part of Pgh are you from Stephx3? I grew up there and moved to Michigan 6 years ago. We come back to visit every July and December GO STEELERS!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #30
stephx3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

live a little north of pgh in a town called fox chapel. Just got my new X3 at P&W yesterday.

oh and its a beautiful day in the 'burgh!

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephx3 View Post
live a little north of pgh in a town called fox chapel. Just got my new X3 at P&W yesterday.

oh and its a beautiful day in the 'burgh!

I know exactly where Fox Chapel is! We lived in Gibsonia (in Treesdale) if you know where that is). I'm be home with the X3 in July! Enjoy yours and post some pics!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Amusing (to me at least) that the email notification for this thread appears on my iPhone as:

Reply to thread 'Anyone have wind

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #33
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Eddie: Whats that?
Buck: It's the wind talking..
Eddie: What's it saying?
Buck: Donno, I don't speak wind..
- Ice Age 3
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #34
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
Not telling.
      05-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #35
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
Mine is going in tomorrow for this problem. the wind noise is killing me.
Were they able to fix it for you? What was the deal?
      06-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #36
jjdigiddy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black x3 2011

Yes

I don't get the wind noise as much as a whistle from the passenger mirror. My BIGGEST problem is that the driver side front door creaks and makes noise when the frame flexes just a little bit. Any of you heard this on the new x3? It's as if the car is flexing around the door/rubber. It's bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #37
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

I get plenty of wind noise. I was told it was at a normal level. When I drove a 328i it also had a lot. I must be spoiled with my previous Ford

Curious how many people got BMW to make it quieter? They said they even had a manager drive it and they all agreed it was fine...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #38
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I get plenty of wind noise. I was told it was at a normal level. When I drove a 328i it also had a lot. I must be spoiled with my previous Ford

Curious how many people got BMW to make it quieter? They said they even had a manager drive it and they all agreed it was fine...
I'm dealing with this right now. Car has gone back for the second time after a call to the manager and BMW NA. The wind noise is a bit much.. The loaners they give me are much quieter.

We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #39
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
I'm dealing with this right now. Car has gone back for the second time after a call to the manager and BMW NA. The wind noise is a bit much.. The loaners they give me are much quieter.

We'll see.
When was your car built? Wonder if this was a problem in a given production run. I have the wind noise as well, and my X3 was built the last week of January.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #40
mgough
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

I have a 2011 X3 I got about a month ago with pan moon roof. I notice wind noise at speeds 55mph and higher it's not horrendous but its noticeable and annoying. Took it in 2 days after delivery to get it checked and they said it was normal.

About 10 days later the regulator on front passenger power window died....I was hoping this was causing incomplete window closure as source of noise but the window is fixed now and the car is still noisy at speed. It's tough to tell what the source of the noise is but I think its the panoramic moon roof. No leaking or condensation.

Other than these two issues I love the car, but i am nervous that i've been to service twice with this thing already and the window thing took like a week and a half to fix (part was on backorder 2-4 weeks from germany so dealer grabbed one from another X3 they had on site).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #41
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I don't so much have wind issues, but I do hear passing traffic more loudly than in my previous car (a merc c-class). I have had a look around the seals - given what is posted hear - and everything is sealing properly. It is precisely the same level of noise from the driver and passenger side.

It isn't so bad that I feel the need to rush back and get it looked at, but just wondered if other people who had moved either from Merc or another marque had noticed this too. I was in a colleague's Vauxhall yesterday and it was a lot louder than my X3. Maybe my Merc was just really good at this.
I currently drive a merc c class and ordered an X3. Should receive it pretty soon. I test drove the X3 couple of times and I felt that the noise was definitely less in my c-class. So, I guess, Merc scores on this one
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #42
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I currently drive a merc c class and ordered an X3. Should receive it pretty soon. I test drove the X3 couple of times and I felt that the noise was definitely less in my c-class. So, I guess, Merc scores on this one
I moved from a C-class also, that car is solid as a rock and very quite inside and out. On a few occasions I've had people scared and jumped out of the way because they didn't realize that a car had snuck up behind them.

Edit:

Forgot to mention but does anyone know if the rubber door thing can be installed within a day if they have the parts? My driver's side door has gotten noticably louder, I blast my music so it's not that big of a problem but other people who drive my car usually don't listen to music/radio.

Last edited by Beyu; 08-03-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #43
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I moved from a C-class also, that car is solid as a rock and very quite inside and out. On a few occasions I've had people scared and jumped out of the way because they didn't realize that a car had snuck up behind them.

Edit:

Forgot to mention but does anyone know if the rubber door thing can be installed within a day if they have the parts? My driver's side door has gotten noticably louder, I blast my music so it's not that big of a problem but other people who drive my car usually don't listen to music/radio.
If you mean the door seals, I think they should do it within a day. I had my Jeep's both driver and passenger door and window seals changed in about 1 hour . X3 seals look more robust and detailed to me tough compared to Jeep's ,but still not more than a few hours' work I would assume.
Appreciate 0