BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

15 months later after software update. Throttle response

When I first picked up the car in August of last year I was bitching about the throttle delay from a stop. How when you pressed the gas pedal, it didn't seem to want to move forward and as you kept pressing on the gas pedal it would finally jerk forward. Also sometimes when you came to a near stop and then needed to accelerate, it would result in a jerky acceleration.

I finally took the car back in today for service for an annual oil change. I should have probably brought it back at 12 months, but I got lazy. The car only has 9k miles on it. So they updated the software and here are my thoughts.

I got so used to how the car drove I never really noticed it anymore. Maybe it fixed itself? It seems a little smoother after the software update, but I find myself questioning if it's psychological.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

It's not in your head my friend.

I almost didn't buy the X3 after test driving the car... I thought to myself, "this is a premium car and they don't know how to modulate drive-by-wire"??

I started researching aftermarket fixes for the problem and figured I could fix the problem until BMW fired the junior engineer who did the original programing.

Well by the time my car was built BMW had fixed the design fault and my car was delivered with a nice smooth linear accelerator.

Maybe you just taught yourself to use the non-linear accelerator.
      12-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
X Three
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I just had my transmission serviced for another problem where the service guys had to contact Germany (at least that was what I was told), and they must have updated the programming. I'm also not sure if it's in my head, but from the moment I drove off the service lot, the transmission felt different. It does seem to be quicker off the start, but at higher speeds ironically the transmission shifts are more perceptible almost to the point of being rough. Also, my rear wheels used to spin out a little from the start on loose gravel and the like, it doesn't do that anymore. I liked the fact it used to do that! Again, it might be psychological but I was not expecting them to change any software programming so I wasn't expecting any changes to how the car drove, but I noticed something different about how the car drives now. I am going to call the service guys to try to find out exactly what they did.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Had the software update, and while improved, it hasn't alleviated the abrupt start entirely. The most extreme "jerk" still being when slowing to a roll, then getting back on the throttle. Upshifts at higher speeds seem to be faster, I like that.
      12-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I still prefer the original programming. Once learned, it worked great.
      12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
Had the software update, and while improved, it hasn't alleviated the abrupt start entirely. The most extreme "jerk" still being when slowing to a roll, then getting back on the throttle. Upshifts at higher speeds seem to be faster, I like that.
I definitely can replicate the abrupt jerk still also. Sometimes not intentionally hah.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Drives me nuts too. I've compensated by manually tapping the steering left hand steering wheel paddle when coming to a stop so it starts in first gear. Otherwise it is LAG city, followed by downshift then jerky take off.

I miss my old NA inline-6 with a linear 6-speed automatic.

I'm sure this can be fixed with programming which will make up the X3 nearly perfect (assuming my other niggles get repaired).
Appreciate 0