BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW - X3 - 30i

Cold Start Transmission Jerking

I have a 2013 28i, it has been with me for over 2 years now, I have noticed through those 2 years that when I start the car from cold ( it has not run for 5 or more hours) even in summer, it needs about 1-2 minutes idling before I start driving, if I don't do that 1-2 minutes warm-up and I drive as soon as I start it from cold, it jerks a little when going between gears in the auto transmission, this continues for a few minutes, then it drives normally without any more jerking.

On the other hand, when I idle it (warm it up) for 2 minutes before driving, that issue doesn't happen at all.

The user manual is saying to drive right away as soon as the car is started, that's why I'm asking if what I experience is normal or there's an issue with the car.
      11-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
dat1guy
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i 2016

For me it's not as bad, but if I start the car and hit the gas right away it will sometimes rev up much higher than it normally should before a jerky shifting into second gear. It never happens more than once though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Have you checked the fluid level?
How many miles? Maybe a fluid & filter change would help if > 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
It has almost 90k KM, I was at the dealer a few times and all fluids were checked to be ok.

Oil and filter are changed as recommended, last change was 10 months ago but service didn't change what I observed.
      11-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnd Pharaoh View Post
Quote:
It has almost 90k KM, I was at the dealer a few times and all fluids were checked to be ok
What does the dealer service person say about this driveability issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat1guy View Post
For me it's not as bad, but if I start the car and hit the gas right away it will sometimes rev up much higher than it normally should before a jerky shifting into second gear. It never happens more than once though.
That's why I'm checking out in the forum, as I'm not sure if that's an issue, I'm ok with warming up for 2 minutes before I drive.

Just don't want to ignore it if it's actually an issue.
      11-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
When I drive from a cold start in the morning, the first shift into 2nd is always rough and after that its fine. I always chalked it up to the engine and trans tune not agreeing.

I'm changing my trans fluid whenever I get time to put it up on the lift, Ill let you know if that magically fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
dat1guy
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
When I drive from a cold start in the morning, the first shift into 2nd is always rough and after that its fine. I always chalked it up to the engine and trans tune not agreeing.

I'm changing my trans fluid whenever I get time to put it up on the lift, Ill let you know if that magically fixes it.
Yeah same here, except I don't have a tune and changed my transmission fluid a month ago. It's not always though. If I let it idle for like 5 seconds or more before going then it's fine.

Last edited by dat1guy; 11-04-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It has almost 90k KM, I was at the dealer a few times and all fluids were checked to be ok
I didn't actually ask the dealer about that specific observation as it won't be repeatable when I'm there, the car would be already at running temperature, and it will be just a guessing game on their side, which I didn't want to get into, and they might just start ripping stuff apart to impress me and show that they are working without it being actually needed.
      11-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
When I drive from a cold start in the morning, the first shift into 2nd is always rough and after that its fine.
Same here, before and after fluid change.
I think it is norm - once you go 2000RPM only then torque converter fills in and you get the push. Do not worry, just do not kick it from the parking.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't actually ask the dealer about that specific observation as it won't be repeatable when I'm there, the car would be already at running temperature, and it will be just a guessing game on their side, which I didn't want to get into, and they might just start ripping stuff apart to impress me and show that they are working without it being actually needed.
If you need to leave the car at the shop overnight you could have them assess next morning. Worst they say is they cannot find any issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
It has almost 90k KM, I was at the dealer a few times and all fluids were checked to be ok.

Oil and filter are changed as recommended, last change was 10 months ago but service didn't change what I observed.
I assume you are talking engine oil.
I should have been more clear.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?
Car needs to be dead level, running, temperature of the transmission between 30°C-40°C, side plug removed and add fluid until it runs out the fill hole. I doubt the dealer did that, but maybe they did.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
nyboy42
Rep
Drives: 2022 m440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I have a 2013 28i, it has been with me for over 2 years now, I have noticed through those 2 years that when I start the car from cold ( it has not run for 5 or more hours) even in summer, it needs about 1-2 minutes idling before I start driving, if I don't do that 1-2 minutes warm-up and I drive as soon as I start it from cold, it jerks a little when going between gears in the auto transmission, this continues for a few minutes, then it drives normally without any more jerking.

On the other hand, when I idle it (warm it up) for 2 minutes before driving, that issue doesn't happen at all.

The user manual is saying to drive right away as soon as the car is started, that's why I'm asking if what I experience is normal or there's an issue with the car.
exact same happens with my 2011 X3 28i. I need to let it sit for 2 minutes and let the RPM meter go down to near zero before driving off otherwise ill get the jerky back and forth
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I assume you are talking engine oil.
I should have been more clear.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?
Car needs to be dead level, running, temperature of the transmission between 30°C-40°C, side plug removed and add fluid until it runs out the fill hole. I doubt the dealer did that, but maybe they did.
I got you from the first time, and the transmission fluid was checked at that service time as I got a 55 point check done at the same appointment for the regular service and they checked transmission fluid and found it ok.

I'll get it checked again if I visit them anytime soon.