BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
kbzn49
Rep
Drives: X3 28

Problem with Y Cable, only working for 30s-1min

I just got my X3 few days ago from the dealer. It came with the y-cable (I dont have tech package or nav or mobile office). When I attach an iphone 4 or an ipod, x3's idrive recognizes the device and starts the playback. However after 30 seconds to a minute (this duration seems random) idrive loses connection shows no usb connected. Waiting more the system re-recognizes the device just to loose the again.

Has anybody seen this happen? Did the dealer gave me a wrong Y-cable (I dont know if there are different versions), or am doing something wrong?

thx
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Not heard of anything like this happening but I would replace the Y cable with a new one to rule out a bad connection

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Uppie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 28i

I have the same issue and it has nothing to do with the Y cable. You should get the vehicle back to the dealer. I've had wiring harnesses replaced and I'm currently waiting on a new radio head unit. I had the issue from the day I picked it up early April. It's so new, trouble shooting is tough and parts were in short supply as they were being channeled to new X3's. Not a big deal for me as I have Sirius.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Try using only the white apple dock cable. BMWs produced after Sept/Oct 2011 no longer need the Y-cable. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you can at least simplify the wiring a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Try using only the white apple dock cable. BMWs produced after Sept/Oct 2011 no longer need the Y-cable. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you can at least simplify the wiring a bit.
I think that's only true if you have the tech package. You still need a Y cable if you don't This has been covered at length here

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I don't have Tech package or any navigation packages and need to use the Y cable to connect the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone Touch...... Mine was built is April 2011.....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think that's only true if you have the tech package. You still need a Y cable if you don't This has been covered at length here
I read through that thread, and it didn't really seem to converge on a solid conclusion. Let me tell you what I know.

Some BMWs past March 2010 production and all BMWs past sept/oct 2010 production can be 6VC "combox" equipped. Among other things, that allows recent model iPods and iPhones pass audio over USB. Older iPods do indeed still require a y-cable, but newer devices do not.

As long as the X3 has 6VC, it can use the Apple cable to transfer music on iPhones and an iPods. As far as I know, all X3 models should have this option, but it may be that it's only X3s with certain other options. It doesn't necessarily have to be the tech package. There are some individual options (ex, BMW Assist including Mobile Office and Bluetooth audio functionality) that use combox.

My 2011 Z4, built in November 2010, has 6VC standard and works with the Apple cable on my iPhone 3GS and 4. The car does not have i-drive or nav, only the "iPod/USB" option (which happens to be standard on the X3).

Bottom line, look for 6VC on your spec sheet. Cars with that code no longer need the Y-cable for iPhones and recent iPods.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

That Combox option doesn't come with the cheapest Bluetooth option (in the UK at least) so a Y-Cable is needed. I have the standard X3 hifi with cheapest bluetooth option and need a Y-Cable. Works fine, never had the disconnect problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

My Y-cable was crap and I just use the standard ipod to USB cable

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
kbzn49
Rep

I tried the y cable from my prev 08 328 vert to rule it out, unfortunately as Uppie said it is not the Y cable. I tried the apple cable and this one only charges the device, I dont think I have any tech related items (no BMW assist button ...etc) for this to work

I also tried playing mp3s from a usb stick and interestingly works without a problem. This makes me think perhaps it is a power issue, since iphone needs more juice than the usb stick. I was monitoring the device and it always showed that it was charging. Also since the memory stick is fine I dont think this is a harness issue at least in the comm lines. Perhaps weak 5V or GND. (x3 was parked btw)

I also found the part no 61122167663 from bmw that can take extra juice from the 12 V in the arm rest. Planning to bring the x3 to the dealer tomorrow and if they have this part I will ask them to try it and see if it resolves the issue.

Uppie what is the lead time to get a new head radio unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think if it was related to charge, the device would stop charging but keep playing, but maybe the iPhone detects the drop in charge and treats like a disconnection.

If it is down to charge, charging from the 12V will solve this problem. There are some other threads about the charge from the USB socket in BMWs not being enough to charge iPhones and iPods.

I've not had any problems charging a 5th gen iPod nano and an iPhone 4 from the USB. Charging the iPhone 4 from the cradle always works too

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

Once I had extended the y-cable by 1 metre so I can screen mount my iPhone it failed to charge quite often and charged very slowly when it did succeed, but it never disconnected from the data/music. I just used some decent brand new USB and Audio extension cables.

To resolve this I bought the following cable and used a standard 12V USB charger in that socket in the armrest to give extra juice for the iPhone.

Phone now charges reliably and works fine with the Y-Cable and extensions. It's still much slower than a mains charger but manages to keep the phone charging a little bit even when running TomTom.

http://www.cablegear.co.uk/usb-cable...-a-female.html
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
kbzn49
Rep

Dealer says they ordered a new radio unit from Germany (like Uppie said) no ETA yet but estimated two weeks... Hopefully it will solve the problem...
On top of this driving home a rock chipped the window... Grrr
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

This happened to my '09 328 and my new X3 (also without nav). Both times I just asked the dealership for a new Y cable and it fixed the problem. These cables are cheap crap. I now carry a spare in the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Uppie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbzn49 View Post
I tried the y cable from my prev 08 328 vert to rule it out, unfortunately as Uppie said it is not the Y cable. I tried the apple cable and this one only charges the device, I dont think I have any tech related items (no BMW assist button ...etc) for this to work

I also tried playing mp3s from a usb stick and interestingly works without a problem. This makes me think perhaps it is a power issue, since iphone needs more juice than the usb stick. I was monitoring the device and it always showed that it was charging. Also since the memory stick is fine I dont think this is a harness issue at least in the comm lines. Perhaps weak 5V or GND. (x3 was parked btw)

I also found the part no 61122167663 from bmw that can take extra juice from the 12 V in the arm rest. Planning to bring the x3 to the dealer tomorrow and if they have this part I will ask them to try it and see if it resolves the issue.

Uppie what is the lead time to get a new head radio unit?

I just learnt that the radio head unit should be here 6/22 (approx 3 weeks lead time). I'll let you know if it fixes the issue
Appreciate 0