BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Our X3 35i is a 2011. 27 months in and 21,000 miles have been quite enjoyable. Lifetime average MPG is 19.1 (I drive it most of the time, and I have a lead foot). Fastest speeding ticket - 65 in a 45 while passing (the officer knocked off quite a few mph to keep me under the 20MPH over "criminal speed".. thanks officer!)

Problems: 1 replaced battery, 1 rear folding seat handle, and 1 squeaky window fix. Fewer issues than the Honda it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #46
cfos
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

A little late to this thread, but the one downside I have with the X3 is the smell from the vents. When purchased in January, the CA turned on the "auto" button for climate. Over the summer (w/AC), the car developed a moldy smell. There are other posts here and elsewhere that describe it. I've tried the "run the air w/o AC for the last ____ minutes before shutting down" and it really doesn't do anything. I haven't brought it back to the dealer to see if they can remove the odor, but from what I've researched, it will likely come back regardless due to positioning of a drip pan, etc.

Anyway, best of luck if you've made your decision. If it was an X3, don't use "auto" for air. Personally, not sure if I'd go with an X3 if doing it over. It's really a little thing, but I've had cars both less expensive and more expensive and you'd think if these cars could come up with a solution, BMW could, too -- especially since the company is using up just about every number/letter combination in the what? 30+ models they offer. Would consider the audi and take a closer look at the Mercedes (similar SUVs).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #47
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
A little late to this thread, but the one downside I have with the X3 is the smell from the vents. When purchased in January, the CA turned on the "auto" button for climate. Over the summer (w/AC), the car developed a moldy smell. There are other posts here and elsewhere that describe it. I've tried the "run the air w/o AC for the last ____ minutes before shutting down" and it really doesn't do anything. I haven't brought it back to the dealer to see if they can remove the odor, but from what I've researched, it will likely come back regardless due to positioning of a drip pan, etc.

Anyway, best of luck if you've made your decision. If it was an X3, don't use "auto" for air. Personally, not sure if I'd go with an X3 if doing it over. It's really a little thing, but I've had cars both less expensive and more expensive and you'd think if these cars could come up with a solution, BMW could, too -- especially since the company is using up just about every number/letter combination in the what? 30+ models they offer. Would consider the audi and take a closer look at the Mercedes (similar SUVs).
It's a little thing - but it's been the little things in our f30 that have made me question if I want to spend the money on another bmw. Something's gone wrong in this new generation, all 3 of our previous bmws - two 3 series 06 and 08, and the European 1 series an 08 - never had a single issue.

I'd much prefer a wagon over an SUV but the only choices in the US are Subaru, Volvo or the new 3 wagon. Of those the only one I like the looks of is the Volvo.

It's at least 6 months before we get something so we'll see!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
Tipsy McStagger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
It's a little thing - but it's been the little things in our f30 that have made me question if I want to spend the money on another bmw. Something's gone wrong in this new generation, all 3 of our previous bmws - two 3 series 06 and 08, and the European 1 series an 08 - never had a single issue.

I'd much prefer a wagon over an SUV but the only choices in the US are Subaru, Volvo or the new 3 wagon. Of those the only one I like the looks of is the Volvo.

It's at least 6 months before we get something so we'll see!
Don't forget the Audi Allroad
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #49
John117
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

There are some issues.

We had our 2013 X3 28i for just over a year. We had many issues realted to the drivetrain (at least three that I can remenber).

The problem is still not fixed and we are thinking of changing to a GLK or a Q5.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #50
bsxdrive35i
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

I've got a 2013 (delivered on May 25, 2012) and I've had one big issue so far. There has been a constant rattling sound (like a rattling spray paint can) for about a year now. It has been in the shop 3-4 times for the same problem. The dealership has replaced several parts in the past year to try to resolve the problem, such as the muffler, but now has to resort to replacing the whole engine. They determined that the problem parts were the pistons and crankshaft, which is pretty ridiculous, as I only have ~15,000km on the vehicle and have babied it since day one. I'm not as annoyed with the problem (everything is covered under warranty) as I am with the amount of time the vehicle has spent at the dealership since I purchased it (roughly 2.5 months).

That being said, I understand that this is a very rare case, and don't see this problem as being even remotely common. The X3 has its quirks (i.e., cheap looking interior), but it's still a great vehicle, overall, and I would definitely recommend it over the competition.
      10-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #51
fl_cyclist
At the Beach or On the Road
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 z4 35is  [0.00]
We just moved from a 2009 Q5 to a 2014 X3. The Q5 had great power (turbo), felt heavier than the X3 and had good fit and finish. The Audi had issues with their turbo models building up carbon in the heads and extended warranty to 120K miles. I am not sure when/if they resolved this but it results in a complete engine dismantling and cleaning probably once or twice during the life of the car. In addition even with Audi care you have to pay for some service items that BMW throws in like brakes.

The Lexus is solid but drives like a Lexus, we prefer better performance and handling.

We are on our 5th BMW; 325i, 335i, X3, Z4 and now another X3. As with all of German cars they drive great are complex and may have issues and in my case I would never own one out of warranty. But the driving great part is what keeps me going back
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #52
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Our 2011 x35i has 30K trouble free miles excepting for an early glitch when it was left in "transport" mode at the PDC. It's really hard to obtain an accurate measure of a car's reliability. Forums are naturally biased towards cars with problems and most of us never own/lease enough of them to form an accurate opinion. And "independent" entities like Consumer Reports and JD Powers base much of their data on samples of owners who may or may not view problems the same way.

All cars are becoming more complex and, with that, more expensive to diagnose and repair. BMWs are no exception. Whether that means lower reliability is difficult to judge. Certainly modern cars require much less general maintenance than cars of yore.

BTW, the second generation X3 had been on sale in Europe in 2010 (it was always built in Spartanburg, SC). So, the 2011 models rolling off the line for distribution to the U.S. were not quite as new as one might guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
rawrzors
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

My 2011 X3 is having battery issues now.For the past few days, every time I turn off the engine, a warning would pop up telling me to charge the battery.

But besides that issue, I would totally recommend a X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #54
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

My Reasons (factual and opinions) not to buy it:

1. No more Hydraulic Steering.
2. Mass Manufactured in US (much lower quality than previous models made in Germany).
3. Lower G-Force #'s than previous models = worse handling.
4. Confusing and non-intuitive idrive system.
5. Overall, a flimsier feel to it, compared to previous Gen.
6. Major Inventory Supply problem going on for over 6 months already, Germany cannot fix their new distribution software and if you get in accident or need a new part, good luck waiting.
7. BMW is also making cars in CHINA now.
8. Recent recall of over 176,000 new models for Brake Failure.
9. Robotic and non helpful US customer service, who just "log complaints" in a computer.
10. Too many different BMW models being made, resulting in lower quality and attention to details, yielding many recalls and factory defects, need for repairs, and overall reduction of vehicle longevity.

If this is your First BMW and you haven't really driven german cars before, you may like it. But comparing it to how it was, it's declining in quality. Take a look at Audis, made in Germany still.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #55
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

Yea, same issue here, amongst other defects. This I was told by a mechanic, is due to the size of the vent tubes being too small and not properly made to dry out quicker, this creates ideal environment for bacteria to grow, hence, the smell.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #56
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX3

2. Mass Manufactured in US (much lower quality than previous models made in Germany).
6. Major Inventory Supply problem going on for over 6 months already, Germany cannot fix their new distribution software and if you get in accident or need a new part, good luck waiting.
9. Robotic and non helpful US customer service, who just "log complaints" in a computer.
10. Too many different BMW models being made, resulting in lower quality and attention to details, yielding many recalls and factory defects, need for repairs, and overall reduction of vehicle longevity.

If this is your First BMW and you haven't really driven german cars before, you may like it. But comparing it to how it was, it's declining in quality. Take a look at Audis, made in Germany still.
What?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #57
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX3 View Post

1. Get DHP
2. My Germany built 135i was more poorly built than my US built X3.
3. Handling is best in class and with DHP I can take turns faster than my prior 2007 X3.
4. iDrive can definitely be improved but is much better than the old iDrive
5. Disagree, mine is solid...
6. Sucks if true
7. Good for the Chinese market, unrelated to ours.
8. It sucks but voluntary recall of 76,000 not 176,000 vehicles with 28i engines, and not just X3s. There are 3 reported minor accidents as a result of this. Glad I got the 35i.
9. Probably true
10. BMW is about average for reliability. You got a bad one, and I'm sorry about that.

Audis are good too, but aren't as driver oriented. I'd look at Porsche or Mercedes AMG if I were to jump ship.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #58
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

0 issues with ours too after 3 years---lease is up in December, but I am holding on to it for a few more months--the only reason I'd tell you not to buy now--is to wait a few months for the LCI--which is why I'm holding on for a few more months.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #59
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

A few previous posters mentioned the MDX as an alternative. I don't know about the new ones, but I had 2 first generation MDX's before getting a 2007 X3 and my current '11 28i.

The Acuras were very nice when new, but I noticed that the suspension became very harsh by the end of a three year lease. I think the struts and bushings loosen up considerably more than the BMWs. Overall, the X3s have been much more satisfying to drive. Except for the funky transmission, I preferred the driving dynamics of the E83. The F25 is more of a luxury car with some sporting capability. Up until a few years ago, BMWs were sporting cars with some luxurious touches. I miss the old formula.

My BMWs have all been very reliable and generally the most trouble free cars I've owned.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.

Last edited by midlifecrisis; 11-03-2013 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #60
dudley07726
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
2013 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
2012 X3  [0.00]
2012 X3 11200 miles and no problems. Though, the NAV sucks. Enjoying this vehicle very much.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #61
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

Quote:
You mentioned the XC70 I think, that would give you more room in the back, would be more economical and is very comfortable - just not as high off the ground as the XC60 or X3.
For the record, I believe both vehicles have the same 8.3" ground clearance. I've driven neither, but own a P2 XC70. Great family vehicle but nowhere equal to my 330i in handling. The current XC70 is likely a better family car than the X3, with a much larger rear cargo area, but it won't put a smile on your face when you mash the go pedal.

Drive them both and see for yourself. Also try the XC60 R-design, it's supposed to be quite good.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #62
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Well I've had my 35d for a year and a half and haven't had a single issue. I drive mine quite hard in Germany on back country roads and on the autobahn.

Of course no vehicle is immune from defects but some trollers seem to be having an agenda on this site just like on any forum for cameras, TVs etc. as can be demonstrated by their obvious and heavy-handed approach.

I think that overall the X3 is a great car/SUV which is greatly appreciated here in Europe, and you see more and more of them. Just go for a test drive.

Here is the site of the Swiss TCS on reliablities. It's in French (sorry) but you can use the Google translate: http://www.tcs.ch/fr/auto-mobilite/e...es-des-pannes/

And an X3 review from this site: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/x3-f25-2010/

Also you can view a multitude of X3 reviews on google from around the world.

Then take a test drive and make your own mind up!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #63
daftsynth
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i TiAg/Chestnut

2011 x3 22k miles and loving it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I have 31K trouble free miles - the only issue was the lamp quit working above the pass mirror - less than 5 minutes for Seattle BMW to fix.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0