BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
netwiser
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i

New X3 owner from Toronto and some thoughts

Hi everyone,

Kept quiet in this forum for quite a long time. Took delivery of my 2016 X3 28i with premium enhanced package on March 26, ordered in last year December 30, production date Feb 2nd and arrived Toronto March 13.

Alpha White and Beige leatherette, I was planning to order Msport package and technology package, but salesman told me that in Canada, the Msport will remove the motion sensor for back trunk and tech package will remove the steering wheel heating option, oh my these two features are mandatory for my wife. What a shame.

Anyway, jump in the car for 2 days and put 300km on it. It is amazing, it is quiet, I tried all modes, eco, comfort and sport, and absolutely love the sport, it reacts so sensitive and precisely, much much better than my previous Infiniti G37X, what a beast!

Couple of thoughts though in these two days driving,

1, The ACC and Auto Hold engage too quick, some time I just full stop at stop sign, or at left turn lane, it engages and in 1 or 2 seconds I have to depress the pedal hardly to kick it in and run.

2, No power steering column, I miss my G37x quite a lot, it has power steering column and memory, I don't need to adjust it every time after I switch with my wife.

3, No open exit feature, the driver seat stays at same position, unlike the G37x it moves the seat backward to have the space for the driver to in and out.

4, Every time I have to select a profile, press the OK, and click the navigation button, it does not have a customized welcome screen, which makes it very annoy.

5, Auto Hold is reset every time, but no the Auto Start Stop, weird

6, Auto wiper is reset every time. When it is a raining day what a hassle.

7, I don't know it is a problem or not, if I power off the radio/media after I turn off the engine, next time I start the engine the volume for radio/media is set to 0, I have to adjust it again. If I just shut off the engine and lock the door, then it is just fine.

8, There is no hook in the back trunk to tie the cargo net, my wife put a foldable bench in it, every time I make a quick turn the bench will bump the wall

9, I can't put a hooker in driver headrest, it looks like I have to tie the seat into parts to install the hooker between the headrest and seat.

10, The climate control I don't get it, there is a switch in the centre console to turn up and down for cold and hot, I have to adjust it all the time, even I set the air condition to 22 degree auto, the inside temperature is either too hot or too cold, the fan speed is not adjusted automatically either. I miss my G37x, set and forget.

11, The privacy windows are the joke, it does not block anything, even in basement packing lot, I can see everything in the car.

12, The brake is a bit weak, when the vehicle is running downhill, it hardly to stop, miss my G37x, it has rev match.

Ugh, so many complaints,

X3 is still an absolute excellent car so far. I love it pretty much.

The gas consumption is 12.6L/100km, 50-50 highway and city.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I think you should sell up and move back :-)

Every manufacturer does things slightly differently. Give the X3 a little time to grow on you. The things you list are minor niggles because you got so used to the infiniti.

If you had ordered extended storage, then lashing points would have been provided.
The rear tint is enough here in the UK, not sure in Canada, but were you looking for a civilised car or a pimp wagon? ;-)
The radio is working fine, why would you turn it off when exiting the vehicle, just lock the car and it goes off.
Auto hold is using the brakes, it best be off next time you start the car.
Auto wipers are reset, you can't press one tiny button on the stalk if it happens to be raining next time you use the vehicle?
Stick with it - great car - either accept it's different to you previous car or go back to something less German :-)

Edit: going downhill, use hill descent button

Last edited by Pinewood; 03-29-2016 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #3
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

Now do one about the problems with the G37x when you first got it. I bet those problems are minimal now and were really just a matter of getting used to the way the vehicle is, as opposed to real "problems".

Here's an example of a problem: My parking brake doesn't engage properly anymore.

Here's an example of a not problem: I have to disable auto start stop every time I get in.

Judging by your "95 Theses", there are a lot of other "adjustments" that you'll have to make to things that might have been "better in my G37x".
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

"9, I can't put a hooker in driver headrest,......."

How does the "hooker" feel about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Impreza View Post
"9, I can't put a hooker in driver headrest,......."

How does the "hooker" feel about that?

As long as he pays.....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Give it time and you will overlook the differences.

I don't know about other folks on the forum but highlight of the X3 vs other SUVs in its class is in its driving dynamics, especially the M-Sport. Nothing except the macan (and maybe the new GLC 63) can match it.

I just upgraded from a 2013 non-sport X3 to a 2016 M-Sport and just like you, I was devasted to lose the heated steering but was quickly surprised that the leather on the sport steering doesn't get too cold at all! The trunk motion sensor is nice to have but couldn't justify having it over losing the M package.

Auto Hold should not be always on and I wouldn't want it because yes, in stop and go traffic or stop signs, its going to engage. Its best used when waiting at lights; that's when I engage it manually.

Open exit feature can be coded, I have done it.

Auto wiper? Press the button

Climate control works fine. My first X3 was my first X3 and I did not understand the purpose of the manual climate control but now I love it and could not have a car without it! Set the auto climate to the temperature you want and use the manual control to adjust the hot/coolness of the air coming from the vents. The auto climate will adjust the fan accordingly to ensure the cabin air temperature is what you have set.

Privacy windows..what? Go get a some more tint on if you want that.

Brakes, yes...i'll give you that, they could be stronger.

At the end of the day if you want luxury, quietness, features, look at other brands..at least until the G01 arrives in a couple of years. X3 is a driver's vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

As a previous Infiniti owner (M35x) I missed many of its features and sportiness when I switched to BMW. The best combination would be German engineering with Japanese attention to detail.

But I bet OP will get used to it pretty quickly, F25 is so much more refined than the G sedan.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
netwiser
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i

Thank Bichoo,

I will definitely look into how to code the open exit feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Give it time and you will overlook the differences.

I don't know about other folks on the forum but highlight of the X3 vs other SUVs in its class is in its driving dynamics, especially the M-Sport. Nothing except the macan (and maybe the new GLC 63) can match it.

I just upgraded from a 2013 non-sport X3 to a 2016 M-Sport and just like you, I was devasted to lose the heated steering but was quickly surprised that the leather on the sport steering doesn't get too cold at all! The trunk motion sensor is nice to have but couldn't justify having it over losing the M package.

Auto Hold should not be always on and I wouldn't want it because yes, in stop and go traffic or stop signs, its going to engage. Its best used when waiting at lights; that's when I engage it manually.

Open exit feature can be coded, I have done it.

Auto wiper? Press the button

Climate control works fine. My first X3 was my first X3 and I did not understand the purpose of the manual climate control but now I love it and could not have a car without it! Set the auto climate to the temperature you want and use the manual control to adjust the hot/coolness of the air coming from the vents. The auto climate will adjust the fan accordingly to ensure the cabin air temperature is what you have set.

Privacy windows..what? Go get a some more tint on if you want that.

Brakes, yes...i'll give you that, they could be stronger.

At the end of the day if you want luxury, quietness, features, look at other brands..at least until the G01 arrives in a couple of years. X3 is a driver's vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
I think you should sell up and move back :-)

Auto wipers are reset, you can't press one tiny button on the stalk if it happens to be raining next time you use the vehicle?
Yeah, LOL at some of those like having to push the auto rain sensor button... talk about first world problems!

Next, it'll be:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
west1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Yeah, LOL at some of those like having to push the auto rain sensor button... talk about first world problems!

Next, it'll be:

ha ha. i went through the car wash 2 days in a row due to pollen on my BMW. yup, i have an unlimited subscription for car washes. white car = car was subscription.

FWP!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
west1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

#10 - climate control in automatic mode adjusts the fan speed to achieve the set temp. for a more fine setting roll the little dial to blue or red for small mods to temp. much more efficient than changing the actual temp.

#12 - if you have paddle shifters, use the downshift to 3rd gear for best engine braking. yupe the X3 has mushy brakes but hey, it's not a G37 and a G37 is no 335i either.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I have an MSport with tech package and has heated steering wheel. Your SA was right about the rear toe kick to open the trunk though.

Beyond that, curious why you bought the car? You miss your infiniti so much and you actually said you dislike your x3....weird
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
As a previous Infiniti owner (M35x) I missed many of its features and sportiness when I switched to BMW. The best combination would be German engineering with Japanese attention to detail.

But I bet OP will get used to it pretty quickly, F25 is so much more refined than the G sedan.
I disagree with you,
1- Japs are boring, tried them once, never again
2- The F25 is fully customizable down to the last detail, need to hop on the coding wagon though.
3- in terms of a hook for the headrest, BMW sells a clip that fixes under the headrest and you can hook anything to it, ipad holder, jacket hook, etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I have an MSport with tech package and has heated steering wheel. Your SA was right about the rear toe kick to open the trunk though.

Beyond that, curious why you bought the car? You miss your infiniti so much and you actually said you dislike your x3....weird
And there's a thing called a test drive... If you're that picky about the little things, and they'll possibly bug you a lot, then you better spend an hour or two test driving and figuring out things first, before buying the car.

It's not like he couldn't have figured out most of this stuff before buying the car.

For myself, I came from another BMW (535 wagon) and the most important thing for me was the engine, ride, transmission, handling. Where it's top scores for me and a 15 minute test drive sealed it.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Guess it's all relative. Grow up driving cars from the 50's, 60's or 70's then comment on features of the F25. Hopefully the next model will have a bidet.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #16
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Looks like the X3 has too many issues, time to send it back and trade it in for a Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0