BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M-Sport

Coding for Tow Ball Fitment

Hi,

Does someone here have the details of what coding needs to be done to the car to tell it a tow ball has been fitted so that the parking sensors are deactivated and any trailer stability control programs are initiated etc.

Cheers,
Mark
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post
Hi,

Does someone here have the details of what coding needs to be done to the car to tell it a tow ball has been fitted so that the parking sensors are deactivated and any trailer stability control programs are initiated etc.

Cheers,
Mark
Looks like this is done through a diagnostic tool rather than coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
wings516
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35ix & Turbo M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post
Looks like this is done through a diagnostic tool rather than coding.
Are you sure about this? Resources say that you get a new rear view screen as well as brake bias when you are hooked up. Not sure this can be done from a diagnostic tool?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:31 AM   #4
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings516 View Post
Are you sure about this? Resources say that you get a new rear view screen as well as brake bias when you are hooked up. Not sure this can be done from a diagnostic tool?
Yes, I believe it is. I have a Westfalia towbar fitted and if you look at the fitting instructions, and the docs for the Westfalia diagnostic tool (eg http://www.westfalia-autocode.co.uk/...-10-15LLV2.pdf) they all refer to 'telling the car the towbar is fitted' using the diagnostic tool.

Now, I think this must be more than just a code reader as you appear to have options on it to activate/interrogate other functions as well.

From my understanding, the diagnostic tool just activates the 'towbar attached' option on the car, then the car initiates all other associated functions within the cars software.

Last edited by Spatch; 03-30-2016 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
wings516
Private
Rep

This is interesting. Have you looked at the coding section of this forum yet? (not sure if you will be able to use it)

Most of us have access to the data via BMW's coding prog, but everything is in German... If all it takes is to set a code to trigger in the system for it, that opens up a whole new world for DIY. I'll start looking into this... Been curious to talk to etrailer about this too.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings516 View Post
This is interesting. Have you looked at the coding section of this forum yet? (not sure if you will be able to use it)

Most of us have access to the data via BMW's coding prog, but everything is in German... If all it takes is to set a code to trigger in the system for it, that opens up a whole new world for DIY. I'll start looking into this... Been curious to talk to etrailer about this too.
I have dabbled with coding, I managed to enhance my Bluetooth but this is the extent of my experience.

I am fairly sure the diagnostic tool can only be used for a few options, options that are a common addition like a towbar. I dont think you could use it for enhancing Bluetooth, change screen welcome message, changing werte codes etc. For that I think you would still need Esys.

I am not sure if the Towbar option can be activated using Esys as I never got a response to my original post.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
wings516
Private
Rep

Spatch, I was looking through the webs last night and came across a bimmerfest post that Shawn helped out on; looks like somebody figured it out. Of course, this was done through ESYS

"So i was able to get everything working... ... thanks Shawn for your help... you rock for always jumping in these threads & helping everyone out.

I went back & read the links I posted in the 1st post & i realized i needed to code the AHM ECU. I didn't have an underlying CAFD file so i did these procedures below.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on AHM ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on AHM (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

After I was done, i saw the trailer hitch warning message one more time. I cut the car off, testing a some lights on the power socket of the trailer hitch & no more trailer warning message...

I did need to make all those other changes (more than just trailer zoom) to disable PDC when in reverse for example. I'm all set for the beach in the morning....

Now i just need to figure out how i to disable the speed lock down on the reverse camera so i an activate the camera while riding down the road so i can check on contents on the cargo carrier for example."
Appreciate 0