BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Jmoney330
Rep
Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS

Thinking of making the switch to a '11 x3 35i

Hi all from xBimmers!

I come to you in peace from the Cadillac forums

Anyway, recently I spotted a 2011 x3 35i with 118k for ~ $16k and I'm thinking about going and looking at it and possibly purchasing it. It has about every option/package (from what I can tell) other than M-Sport and a HUD. I'll be coming from a 2009 Cadillac CTS AWD.

I've done some research on the x3 and from what I can find they seem to be pretty solid, well built and reliable vehicles. Not to mention, the whole turbo aspect of the 35i really excites me

I guess what I'm asking is - was 2011 a good model year? Are there any common mechanical problems with these vehicles that can really set someone back a good chunk of change?

I'm also looking for honest opinions on the x3 from owners. What is the MPG like consistently? How do they ride? Is iDrive as big as a pain in the ass as it looks like? Is there enough room for 4 passengers WITHOUT me having to move my seat forward (as I do in my CTS constantly). You know, just real owner thoughts on the car.

Look forward to hearing from y'all.

Thanks,
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

I have a 2011 X3 35I. I'm sure people will chime in as well but the most important thing you can have is maintenance history. Understanding what work was done and what was replaced. From a maintenance perspective I would check things like water pump and thermostat as well as transmission fluid changes, leaks around the oil filter housing, belts and brakes as well as the overall oil change interval. You don't want to buy someones problem.

With regards to the overall vehicle I find the ride very comfortable with the stock suspension, plenty of power, great handling and the backseat room is huge. More than you would expect. I have my seat all the way back (I'm 6ft) and there is at least 6+ inches between the back of the seat and someones knees (who is also 6ft) The iDrive is very simple to master. Not complex at all and I can operate it without looking at it.

Overall it's a great vehicle. There is enough technology there (navigation, cameras, back up sensors, etc) to keep you happy and when you hit the gas you will smile. Mileage has been around 22 in town and 28 on the highway consistently.

Any other questions feel free to ask
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Jmoney330
Rep

I appreciate your reply! Good to know you like yours, and that you're having good MPG as well. That's a big thing for me because I drive 30 miles each way to work and back!

As far as the car fax, it doesn't show any maintenance history on the vehicle unfortunately. I guess it could be a good thing because I can use it as a bargaining chip at the dealer. It was a 1 owner vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Momoboy's list is a good one.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

We only get the diesel engines in the uk so i can't comment on a silky smooth v6 petrol.
The car however...
Excellent visibility
Room for 4 x 6ft passengers and their luggage.
Enough toys to keep anyone amused.
IDrive is brilliant and easy to learn. The 8 programmable buttons give me so much.
Kerb appeal is 2nd to none in the medium suv segment.
Why would you want an X5, Q7 or Rangy?
It beats most so called "sports cars"!
In short - the best vehicle i have owned and no regrets

Last edited by Pinewood; 03-22-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

35i on an X3 will not disappoint, plenty of fun! The iDrive system is very simple and easy to learn and use.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Jmoney330
Rep

And no major common mechanical issues or reliability problems to report with these cars?

After reading all of this its making me excited to go check it out and hope I can strike a deal with the stealership
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Tibbys96Z
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney330 View Post
And no major common mechanical issues or reliability problems to report with these cars?

After reading all of this its making me excited to go check it out and hope I can strike a deal with the stealership
The plastic coolant res tends to crack and leak from the bottom. Easy to see if the sensor is wet. Easy to diy replace if necessary.
The remote oil filter gasket to the block tends to leak (someone mentioned above). This can be a big issue if a belt slips and causes damage.
Other than normal maintenance. Coming from GM V8s, this is a really nice driver with great power.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Jmoney330
Rep

Well I went and looked at it and man I was impressed. Definitely a beautiful car inside and out. The previous owner was the owner of Orlando Baking Company out of Cleveland which I thought was kinda cool.

Unfortunately the stealership that has it wasn't too willing to work with me on any prices. They wanted to give me $9500 for my CTS when it books at $13k lmao. I said I wasn't interested in helping the CEO buy a third vacation home in Mexico and walked out.

Oh well, I'm sure i'll find one. I appreciate all of your help on here!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
wings516
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35ix & Turbo M3

I've put roughly 20k miles on mine and I'm luckily still under CPO. If you can afford it, I highly suggest going X5 and/or Diesel. The upgrade from the X3 is just too night and day for me.

- Water pump cracked at 55k miles.
- Coolant res leak as mentioned above. Dealer failed to recognize this as a covered item.
- Sunroof was making god awful noises (fixed with felt trick as dealer was too incompetent to manage)
- My TPMS system does NOT monitor the actual tire pressures (not sure if I got unlucky or?)
- Not sure if you are a smoker, but always check for that smokers package from the VIN.

Service record otherwise. I love my twin turbo and if that isn't enough power for you then get a plug in juicebox and get over 400hp and tq on pump gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings516 View Post
I've put roughly 20k miles on mine and I'm luckily still under CPO. If you can afford it, I highly suggest going X5 and/or Diesel. The upgrade from the X3 is just too night and day for me.
The X3 and X5 (gas version) share the same components (motor, electrical) for the most part so all the problems (except the sunroof) would/could happen in both cars. The water pump is known to fail at around 50K. Mine failed at under 40K. The driving dynamics I feel are better in an X3. The diesel X5 though is sweet.
Appreciate 0