BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
corey2140
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19' Hockenheim M2C DCT

Software update

Is there a software update available for the F25? I\'ve seen it mentioned a couple of times. If so, what does it fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey2140 View Post
Is there a software update available for the F25? I\'ve seen it mentioned a couple of times. If so, what does it fix?
YES but you wont get it, the dealers do not update software unless a problem arises.
      11-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

We got ours updated on Tues when our electric towball needed reprogramming and new nearside top-view camera. The service manager mentioned that normally you don't get this done but due to new electronic components, it needed updating. Or something like that.
Space Grey, Wheels, Doors and a boot, Pushy Finance Person pack (with optional walk out of dealer mode), Professional Medium Pack, Fully Eclectic Towbar, Autocratic Gearbox, Sporty seats, Heated Arguments, Reversing Assist Camera with Top View, BMW signature sills, Panoramic Glass Roof, have you considered the Pushy Finance Person Pack? ETD 22/12/2012
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
YES but you wont get it, the dealers do not update software unless a problem arises.
What about SW updates upon scheduled maintenance?

At least Volvo updates all car's SWs "free-of-charge" here when car is there serviced.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This is correct but you can probably use an existing bug and ask for an update to see if it gets fixed. I did this citing the Music Collection playing songs in alphabetical order instead of album order, the navigation bug where the arrow stays on after you reach your destination, and some problems with the signal boost from the iPhone cradle (i.e. there is no signal boost!). They reluctantly agreed and i also got a free car wash and interior clean

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I was with the dealer yesterday getting my right side mirror fixed as it never folded in fully. Dealer disagreed to update the software saying it takes 4 to 5 hrs, he just reloaded the original parameters and mirror started working correctly. This was his version, I don't know what exactly was done.

I just wonder why cant they give us software update to us on a USB drive and we ourselves can upgrade it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I just wonder why cant they give us software update to us on a USB drive and we ourselves can upgrade it

IMO, that would be crazy on the dealer's part. Many ppl could do it properly, then what happens when something goes wrong, car is under warranty but owner uploaded software himself?

I would not want to do that.
      11-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
I was with the dealer yesterday getting my right side mirror fixed as it never folded in fully. Dealer disagreed to update the software saying it takes 4 to 5 hrs, he just reloaded the original parameters and mirror started working correctly. This was his version, I don't know what exactly was done.

I just wonder why cant they give us software update to us on a USB drive and we ourselves can upgrade it.
I was told it takes this long too. I think it's less an upgrade and more a complete reinstall. I'm not sure but I think they go online whilst connected to the car. Perhaps the install is done using remote files on a server in Germany and you can't just take an installation image away and install offline.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I was told it takes this long too. I think it's less an upgrade and more a complete reinstall. I'm not sure but I think they go online whilst connected to the car. Perhaps the install is done using remote files on a server in Germany and you can't just take an installation image away and install offline.
X3 has a software upgrade feature, I tried to use it, it asks for upgrade software on USB. I wonder if this is just a plan on BMW side on paper to allow software upgrade at customers end.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I just wonder why cant they give us software update to us on a USB drive and we ourselves can upgrade it

IMO, that would be crazy on the dealer's part. Many ppl could do it properly, then what happens when something goes wrong, car is under warranty but owner uploaded software himself?

I would not want to do that.
You are right, if the upgrade procedure is complex and does not include safety checks, it should not be given to every individual. On the other side, I don't think BMW will make poor upgrade software which might affect the normal working of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

There are different levels of software stored in different locations. Its possible, but not very likely, that BMW might sometime allow updates of the entertainment and NAV software by owners, but unthinkable that they would ever allow any user modification or updating of the mechanical management software because of all the safety related issues. A complete reload of the X3 management software is a 4-hour procedure (had it done twice!), and is not done unless there is a specific issue with a particular vehicle. Updates are vehicle specific, in that all vehicle options must be identified before the software replacement is started. Making a mistake can render the vehicle undriveable.

Performing automatic updates at routine service intervals would probably create more service issues than it would correct.
BMW's philosophy is clearly: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-24-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Upgrade software feature given on iDrive clearly specifies that it's for external devices ( such as Nav, entertainment, mirrors, etc ) which are not directly related to automobile management. This is a good sign that BMW has separated software in different sections.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Performing automatic updates at routine service intervals would probably create more service issues than it would correct.
BMW's philosophy is clearly: "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
Good point.

Software industry or mobile phone industry in specific has corrupted our minds so much that we run for any update announced ( e.g. IPhone sw is updated from 5.0 to 5.01 and so on...) though it fixes a minor issue not directly related to our operations. We try to use the same analogy for cars too. For example, if there is an improvement in bluetooth working with iDrive or music sound quality, why should we not get that improvement even though existing setup is running ok? Here I differ slightly with the BMW's philosophy, don't fix if not broken.

Last edited by April1; 11-24-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

On the downside, it does mean BMW dealerships have to support multiple versions of the software. The reason software companies want everyone upgraded to the latest and greatest is that it makes supporting their customers much easier. BMW's answer to this seems to be that when you get a problem, one of the first things they try is to update the software to the latest version to see if that helps

Appreciate 0