BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Location of 407 Transponer

I installed a Highway 407 Transponder to the left of the rear-view mirror in a 2016 BMW. The unit is installed right behind the mirror, below the "tinted" area that surrounds the mirror housing. I selected this area as I wasn't sure if the 2-sided tape supplied with the transponder would damage the "tinted" area. I've since discovered the transponders location hampers proper adjustment of the mirror when my wife drives. The only way of solving the issue is to relocate the transponder.

There is lots of room on the windshield above the mirror however that's in an area that is "tinted". Can I mount the transponder in that area without damaging the "tint". Also, if I do so, will the "tint" hamper transponder operation?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

I have mine mounted on the passenger side near the edge. This seemed the cleanest place to put it. I know 407 wants you to put it right beside the rearview mirror, but I've had mine on the passenger side for 6+ years of using the ETR every workday and I've never had a problem.

View post on imgur.com
      06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post
I have mine mounted on the passenger side near the edge. This seemed the cleanest place to put it. I know 407 wants you to put it right beside the rearview mirror, but I've had mine on the passenger side for 6+ years of using the ETR every workday and I've never had a problem.

View post on imgur.com
I thought of doing that but found the mounting tape visible when viewed from outside the car. It Looked rather unsightly. Was your front window tinted with an aftermarket tint? Thinking that might hide the tape.

I was hoping I could mount the unit to the left of the mirror just below the roofline. In doing so the tape would be hidden by the "tinted area" that surrounds the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

I never really noticed the tape. My front windshield isn't tinted, but the rest of the windows are, and it's pretty dark in the car.

I wouldn't mess with the rain sensors - I assume that's what the dark dots near the middle are.
      07-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Thornton Davis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

I mounted mine on the dash of my 2012 X3 35i M-Sport on the left side where the windshield meets it. No problems with the scanner picking up the signal.

TD
Appreciate 0