BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Supagard Protection (UK)

Anyone have any opinions on Supagard ?

I had done to my current card (3-series) and when quoting for new X3 - the dealership strongly recommend (but they would wouldn't they).

Is the factory finish now protective enough?

I've always had a suspicion that the supagard on my current car, was not all it was cracked up to be, I had the suspicion early on that it actually made dust attraction worse and the surface less slippery..

But I have no real way of judging, any advise gratefully received!!
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

A £320 option they snuck on my quote uninvited! Depends on your colours and risks. I the car is in a garage all night, birds have fewer hours to target you. This is also the price of 5 years of servicing through their dealer deal, which sounds like a no brainer to me especially with the price of decent engine oil being more per litre than a nice whisky!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Well if it actually works and has no downsides looks + regular cleanliness wise, I'd go for without hesitation.
I don't doubt it protects against certain things, as I said, I just had sneaking suspicion it actually made worse for regular water/dirt/dust accumulation.
My current car is space gray (well close, it was called Artic grey or something) and from the beginning it looked great when cleaned - but very quickly looked dusty - compared to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

For £320 you can pay someone to polish the car a hell of a lot over 3 years. I really don't think you should have to pay extra to protect the paint on a £35,000 car!

As you may guess I have not gone for the supagaurd.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

BMW has come into some recent criticism for paint quality, maybe something to do with applying all coats together (see M.Stewart build video in the paintshop)

My jet black E60 paint gets damaged from a couple of hours of bird droppings (main reason chosen metallic black saphire this time round) I keep detailing spray in the trunk to get rid as soon as I spot it

Not convinced about Supaguard myself but also never tried it

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Supaguard getting done tomorrow along with mudflaps etc. Supaguard is a must for the solid paint finishes. If you have metallic then you ll notice less of a difference. Collect Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Get your camera ready scot

How much for fitting mud flaps?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

£0
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Free mud flap! Sounds good! Let's hope they give you 4!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Seriously, any idea how much fitted X3 flaps cost in UK?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
Supaguard getting done tomorrow along with mudflaps etc. Supaguard is a must for the solid paint finishes. If you have metallic then you ll notice less of a difference. Collect Thursday.
I will have metallic..
I am less worried about the cost - than whether it actually [negatively in anyway whatsoever] changes the characteristic of the finish.
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Is supaguard the same thing as the gold/silver/bronze paint protection? I got this thrown in as a deal sweetener. It was the £300 one. It also said something about cleaning or protecting the inside as well?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

The effectiveness of supaguard depends very much on how it is applied.

Given that applying 2 coats of Auto Glymm 'extra gloss protection' has a very similar effect and is a very good paint sealant; I wouldn't bother paying BMW for their supaguard treatment.

I've always waxed and sealed the paintwork on my BMW and never had issues with bird muck. It's just simply wipes off with a wet rag if the paintwork is waxed and sealed properly. A job which most people can do themselves.
Appreciate 0