BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Variable Sports Steering

My new X3 M Sport which gets built next week will come with variable sports steering. Having just read the test on the updated 3 series I am starting to worry. This steering set up seems to be pretty grim.

Any feedback on how it drives on an X3?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ort-comparison
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
My new X3 M Sport which gets built next week will come with variable sports steering. Having just read the test on the updated 3 series I am starting to worry. This steering set up seems to be pretty grim.

Any feedback on how it drives on an X3?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ort-comparison
Drove an LCI with the variable sport steering and the M sport steering wheel (it was an M sport), and to be honest it felt very similar to my pre LCI without variable sport steering. I didn't really notice any difference in steering feel, both felt as connected (or disconnected).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
My LCI 30d with variable sports steering (which includes ‘servotronic steering’) has once again given me the traditional BMW driveability and road feel which my previous F25 with EPS lacked. In my opinion electric power steering completely took away the connection the driver had with the road and it was only partially improved in Sport mode. It was my only disappointment with the pre LCI model and the main reason for replacing it so I could specify the extra steering option.

For me, it has transformed the driving experience. The steering now feels so direct and precise (even more so in Sport Mode) and seems to handle like a go-cart and has brought back the enjoyment of driving. I would strongly urge you to test drive an X3 with that option before making a decision based on a reviewer’s report.
      08-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
My LCI 30d with variable sports steering (which includes ‘servotronic steering’) has once again given me the traditional BMW driveability and road feel which my previous F25 with EPS lacked. In my opinion electric power steering completely took away the connection the driver had with the road and it was only partially improved in Sport mode. It was my only disappointment with the pre LCI model and the main reason for replacing it so I could specify the extra steering option.
What year was your previous F25? The reason I ask is, mine is a 2014 pre lci and as mentioned above in terms of connection with the road I didn't feel any difference in the lci.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Sorry for busting in here, but I have tried to have this dialogue on X4 forum - no go .

When I got my X4 35i with all performance gadgets incl. 20" 310:s, I compared with my 9000 MY-97 (I still keep it) with 18" wheels - and was a bit disappointed: steering feel, steering precision and steer- into a curve AND steering wheel feedback was not as good.
Apart from that, ride height is OK for X3 - not for my X4 coupe- so I lowered it - H&R, 35 mm (1 1/2").
Now I got not only a more harmonic looking vehicle - see picture - but also: better steering feel, better steering precision, better steer- into a curve, less sidewindsensitivity. and better steering wheel feedback.

Note:
-I have retained original shocks= less travel left for bumps
-riding slightly on front bump stops= slightly less ride comfort - I would not do this if living with bad roads around.
-I have not checked wheel alignment, but seem to be OK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What year was your previous F25? The reason I ask is, mine is a 2014 pre lci and as mentioned above in terms of connection with the road I didn't feel any difference in the lci.
I have no doubt that what you say is so as a lot depends on tyre/wheel size, profile, whether it’s run flat or not and of course the suspension. Mine was a 2013 with 17inch 225x60 profile as I opted for a more comfortable ride though factory made a mistake and gave me RFT’s which I refused to pay extra for. The difference between that spec and my current non-RFT (also 17”) 245x55 is like “chalk and cheese” in terms of handling and road feel and I put that down to just specing the variable sports steering at a miniscule cost of £290 or 0.6% of the price of the vehicle and it has restored my faith in BMW (almost!).

That is purely my direct experience based on similar wheel sizes and may well be different for different wheel parameters people are looking at, thus my recommendation to test it first.

The problem is that dealers don’t have demonstrators with the myriad of options customers may be wishing to try, so it’s difficult to test the ride/feel of variable sport steering with a particular wheel size or suspension set-up before ordering. Clearly demonstrator vehicles are more likely to have pricier luxury options because of a bigger profit margin, than something low cost but more practical with a direct impact on driving pleasure like VST. I opted for VST after sampling just the Servotronic-only option on an M version demonstrator (no VST) which of course had bigger and wider wheels, so I knew I would at least have a softer ride and hopefully improved steering response over and above the servo, due to VST. The result - fantastic!
      08-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
I have no doubt that what you say is so as a lot depends on tyre/wheel size, profile, whether it’s run flat or not and of course the suspension. Mine was a 2013 with 17inch 225x60 profile as I opted for a more comfortable ride though factory made a mistake and gave me RFT’s which I refused to pay extra for. The difference between that spec and my current non-RFT (also 17”) 245x55 is like “chalk and cheese” in terms of handling and road feel and I put that down to just specing the variable sports steering at a miniscule cost of £290 or 0.6% of the price of the vehicle and it has restored my faith in BMW (almost!).

That is purely my direct experience based on similar wheel sizes and may well be different for different wheel parameters people are looking at, thus my recommendation to test it first.

The problem is that dealers don’t have demonstrators with the myriad of options customers may be wishing to try, so it’s difficult to test the ride/feel of variable sport steering with a particular wheel size or suspension set-up before ordering. Clearly demonstrator vehicles are more likely to have pricier luxury options because of a bigger profit margin, than something low cost but more practical with a direct impact on driving pleasure like VST. I opted for VST after sampling just the Servotronic-only option on an M version demonstrator (no VST) which of course had bigger and wider wheels, so I knew I would at least have a softer ride and hopefully improved steering response over and above the servo, due to VST. The result - fantastic!
Don't get my wrong, I'm not trying to refute what you say.

I forgot to mention that my car and the lci I drove have the same tyre sizes along with the same tyres. 245/50 R18. Both are RFTs.

Another thought of mine was that, variable sport steering shouldn't really change the feel considering it only changes how much you have to move the steering to turn a certain amount.

But yes, RFTs and Non RFTs make a massive difference. I cannot wait for these damn Pirelli RFTs to wear off on my car so I can go and purchase a nice set of normal tyres.
Appreciate 0