BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Closed Thread

05-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Lausitzring DTM: Spengler Claims First Pole for BMW Since 1992; Farfus Second

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Lausitzring DTM: Spengler Claims First Pole for BMW Since 1992; Farfus Second
COMMENTS
Name:  P90094061_highRes.jpg
Views: 5472
Size:  108.7 KB

Lausitzring, 5th May 2012. BMW Motorsport enjoyed a dream result in qualifying ahead of the second DTM race of the year: Bruno Spengler (CA) secured pole position in the deciding “top-four shootout” with a time of 1:18.777 minutes. Spengler, at the wheel of his BMW Bank M3 DTM was 0.038 seconds faster than fellow BMW driver Augusto Farfus (BR), who clocked the second best time in the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM. The two BMW drivers will now start Sunday's race side-by-side on the front row of the grid.

This was the first time BMW had set the fastest qualifying time in the DTM since 18th June 1992. Back then it was Johnny Cecotto (VE) who claimed pole position in a BMW M3 at the Nürburgring. Almost 20 years later it was the turn of Spengler to add a chapter to BMW’s success story in the DTM with the twelfth pole position of his career. BMW now has 31 pole positions to its name in this series.

Martin Tomczyk (DE) also qualified in the top ten at the Lausitzring. The reigning DTM champion clocked the seventh fastest time at the wheel of the BMW M Performance Parts M3 DTM. Andy Priaulx (GB, Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M3 DTM) and Joey Hand (US, SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM) qualified in 13th and 14th. Dirk Werner (DE, E-POSTBRIEF BMW M3 DTM) had to settle for 21st place on the grid after a difficult qualifying session.

Just as it had been the case at Hockenheim (DE) qualifying again turned out to be a tight affair: All three DTM manufacturers brought two cars each into the top-six.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):

“Bruno Spengler on pole with Augusto Farfus alongside him on the front row as the second fastest qualifier: that is quite simply a phenomenal result for BMW. That qualifying session was a real thriller. It is an indescribable feeling. I am very proud that we came out on top. Last week was very tough for everyone in the team. After the many crashes in Hockenheim, our first goal was to get the six BMW M3 DTM cars up and running optimally again so they could line up here. We are all surprised that we now have two cars on the front row. Bruno and Augusto are not the only ones who deserve a huge compliment, however. We have three BMW M3 DTM cars in the top ten and each of our three teams has a car on the first five rows of the grid. That shows what a great all-round team performance we have produced again here. And we were justly rewarded for that effort today. Tomorrow's race will be a completely different challenge again. However, this qualifying result means we will approach this challenge with a lot of momentum and the wind in our sails.”

Charly Lamm (Team Principal, BMW Team Schnitzer):

“I am delighted. Qualifying was a real emotional rollercoaster ride. With one minute of the second session remaining, Bruno had not even made it into Q3. A short while later he is on pole. He really dug in – and is one hell of a guy. It is simply unbelievable how coolly he claimed this pole position. Thank you to BMW for this fantastic car, and thank you to the whole team.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 7, BMW Team Schnitzer, 1st place):

“I can hardly believe what has happened here. After 20 years, I am the first driver to celebrate a pole position for BMW in the DTM. This is a very special day for me. It is great that my fellow BMW driver Augusto Farfus will line up alongside me on the front row tomorrow. That completes this dream result for us. I would never have expected us to be on pole position at just the second race of our debut season. My BMW Bank M3 DTM was fantastic today. We will have to wait and see how it performs in the race tomorrow, and whether we can keep pace with the opposition over the longer race distance. For now, however, I am going to enjoy this amazing feeling. When the race gets underway tomorrow, I will be doing everything in my power to stay out of the turmoil. With so many cars on the track, the first three corners will be very tight.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 16, BMW Team RBM, 2nd place):

“It is a great result and I had great speed all through qualifying. After the bad weekend in Hockenheim, I was really looking forward to coming to the Lausitzring and proving how fast the BMWs and I really are. Qualifying was really intense. I was really pleased to be in Q4. Second place along with Bruno’s pole position is sensational. I want to thank everyone at BMW Motorsport and in my BMW Team RBM.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 1, BMW Team RMG, 7th place):

“Firstly, I’d like to congratulate my team-mates. It is great to see two BMWs on the front row. I am not entirely satisfied with my own personal result in qualifying. There was more in it for us today. Bruno and Augusto showed what the BMW M3 DTM is capable of. Our car has the pace to compete at the front of the field. I will now be working hard with my BMW Team RMG to find the optimal set-up for the race. If we manage that then P7 is not such a bad grid position from which to attack the opposition tomorrow.”

Andy Priaulx (car number 15, BMW Team RBM, 13th place):

“That was a tough one for me. Hockenheim was much easier. The BMW M3 DTM is strong and I think we have seen this from the great result today. I can still have a good result from 13th on the grid, but I just didn’t quite get the set-up I wanted today.”

Joey Hand (car number 2, BMW Team RMG, 14th place):

“My SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM was good today. The problem for me was that I got stuck in traffic and lost valuable time. However, I promise the fans that I will be trying my hardest to move forward in tomorrow's race. It will not be easy, as the DTM is possibly the toughest racing series in the world. It is unbelievable how closely matched everyone is here.”

Dirk Werner (car number 8, BMW Team Schnitzer, 21st place):

“The whole weekend has been far from ideal for me, and I have struggled to find the perfect rhythm. My first flying lap in Q1 was okay. I would have had to improve on my second lap, but then I got stuck in traffic. Tomorrow I will do my best to make up ground in the race.”

Name:  P90094042_highRes.jpg
Views: 5369
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  P90094032_highRes.jpg
Views: 4935
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  P90094037_highRes.jpg
Views: 4895
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  P90094045_highRes.jpg
Views: 5229
Size:  183.8 KB

Name:  P90094030_highRes.jpg
Views: 4932
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  P90094053_highRes.jpg
Views: 5231
Size:  180.7 KB

Name:  P90094061_highRes.jpg
Views: 5472
Size:  108.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
You are 3 minutes late South lol

Close this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

Awesome awesome news! Good for BMW and good for my fellow Canadian Bruno. Its nice to see that Schumacher qualified well back of Spengler, wont get a chance to crash in to him this time....
      05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

So it's only their second race and they already took the pole position in a race that they haven't been in for 20 years.. Man they dumped so many cash into DTM!

Congrats to BMW and to their drivers for the win.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
iDRIFT
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Does anyone know where I can watch the race online ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Fooking awesome!! Can you imagine if they get their first win in only the 2nd race back in the series??!! That would be so insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingBredE90 View Post
Its nice to see that Schumacher qualified well back of Spengler, wont get a chance to crash in to him this time....
LOL!
      05-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
albertabahn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Drives Nov. delivery 335i 6mt

Garage List
Great work Bruno! Now keep it clean and run Her for all She's worth!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Fantastic news make us proud!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
So it's only their second race and they already took the pole position in a race that they haven't been in for 20 years.. Man they dumped so many cash into DTM!
It shows how much cash they have put into DTM, when they are not showing up to Le Mans this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
It shows how much cash they have put into DTM, when they are not showing up to Le Mans this year.
The basic chassis of all the DTM cars is made by Dallara. So, it may be a little less than you think. The engines may be spec as well.

Back on topic though, This is a great result. While I like Paffet, I enjoyed seeing a BMW 1-2. Also, Paffet's reaction right next to Spengler when Farfus crossed the line was funny, but a little sad.
      05-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The basic chassis of all the DTM cars is made by Dallara. So, it may be a little less than you think. The engines may be spec as well.
I am very much aware of all the new cost-saving rules for this season of DTM, yes including the sharing of the carbon monocoque. The engines are spec, but each manufacture has their own engine program. BMW's P66 engine was new from the ground up.

Starting a brand new program from scratch cost considerable time, money, personal, and resources. Whether the cars share components or not. I wouldn't even want to guess how much time was spent on the body and aerodynamics.

Last edited by M3_WC; 05-06-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Back on topic though, This is a great result. While I like Paffet, I enjoyed seeing a BMW 1-2. Also, Paffet's reaction right next to Spengler when Farfus crossed the line was funny, but a little sad.
We will see if BMW has the race pace. Ekström in the Audi had pole last weekend, but had nothing for Paffett or Green in the AMG's during the race.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
MachineHead
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E92 325 6MT M-Sport

Garage List
2008 E92 325i  [0.00]

C'mon guys, make'em eat your dust!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'." Walter Rohrl
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
rwrwrwrw
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2016 M235i  [0.00]
Awesome Bruno!

And now for a podium!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Race Results:

1. B. Spengler BMW M3 DTM
2. G. Paffett AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
3. A. Farfus BMW M3 DTM
4. J. Green AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
5. M. Ekström Audi A5 DTM
6. T. Scheider Audi A5 DTM
7. M. Tomczyk BMW M3 DTM
8. E. Mortara Audi A5 DTM
9. F. Albuquerque Audi A5 DTM
10. R. Schumacher AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
11. C. Vietoris AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
12. D. Coulthard AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
13. M. Rockenfeller Audi A5 DTM
14. J. Hand BMW M3 DTM
15. M. Molina Audi A5 DTM
16. R. Merhi AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
17. A. Priaulx BMW M3 DTM
18. A. Tambay Audi A5 DTM
19. D. Werner BMW M3 DTM
20. R. Frey Audi A5 DTM
21. S. Wolff AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
DNF R. Wickens AMG Mercedes C-Klasse

Congratulations! I didn't expect them to be competitive at this early stage.

Great also for Schnitzer and Charly Lamm, one of the kindest guys in motorsport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
competition is fierce, but the guys can do it. go for the championship guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
MDivPower
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: mk4 Jetta

what a great result, keep it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Victory
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

I knew BMW would dominate.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Jason
Administrator