BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

BMW X3 Auto Start/ Stop

Hi,

I finally got my new X3 ( Deep Sea Blue ) after waiting for 6 months. I will like to know if I should deactivate the automatic Start/Stop feature or leave it on? My dealer told me to leave it on because it can save fuel. I just thinking if the engine has to continuously start and stop, where it will increase wear-and-tear in the long run.

Tks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The amount of fuel you may save depends on your driving pattern. In the Double European Cycle currently used in Europe, S/S supposedly saves 3%, but on the US EPA cycle, it saves nothing. The European cycle has many stops of between 30 and 90 seconds duration.

The X3 does apparently have a high-capacity battery and very high-capacity alternator. Hopefully, the starter motor is also heavy duty, but it appears to be the same one used on versions that don't include S/S.

There is no doubt that using S/S must result in additional wear to the starter motor and starter drive, and possibly to the engine internals due to starting under reduced bearing oil pressure. How much fuel you can save is a matter of how much time you spend completely stopped in heavy traffic. To use it or not winds up being a personal decision based on the fuel you MAY be saving and how long you expect to own the car. If you trade in often, the extra wear probably won't be a concern. However if you want to drive the X3 for 150,000 miles and keep it well beyond the warranty period, it may be a major concern.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Starting stresses can be easily controlled if there are electronic drive controls. I am not sure if the S/S requirements have been properly taken care of. For example, I know motors designed for machine tool industry are rated for repeated start stops but with torque controls and are rated for 30 years. Starting currents are limited by the electronic controls just to limit to the desired torque.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I really liked the feature, but one thing I did not like when I test-drove a 5 series with start/stop was right after starting and driving a few hundred feet to a stop light the engine shut off. Now I did not pay too much attention to whether the engine was completely cold or if it was semi warmed up, but I'm pretty sure it was cold. If so, I don't like the idea of shutting off an engine without warming up the oil properly first. I would be curious to see the longevity of components with start/stop vs conventional vehicles after 5 years or more. I hope it does not result in having to replace a BMW starter, which I would assume must cost significant $$$, in order to save a bit of fuel.

Out of curiosity, Lotus or anybody else, would you happen to know if the US spec related components (starter, battery, alternator, etc) are identical to those cars available worldwide with start/stop enabled. Is the US car just missing the button and some software? Would there be any problem (starter, battery drain, etc.) with regularly switching off the ignition at stoplights manually in a US spec car? I noticed the manual advocates doing so in the fuel efficiency section.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lee View Post
Hi,

I finally got my new X3 ( Deep Sea Blue ) after waiting for 6 months. I will like to know if I should deactivate the automatic Start/Stop feature or leave it on? My dealer told me to leave it on because it can save fuel. I just thinking if the engine has to continuously start and stop, where it will increase wear-and-tear in the long run.

Tks in advance.
Wow, a fellow indonesian congrats on your new X3
I usually have my start/stop feature deactivated. I find that s/s system is activated right after driving a few meters, and I agree with jsplayin that I don't like the s/s feature to activate when the engine is still cold.
Besides, it is hot where we are, so I find the engine will start itself before the traffic light turned green as the cabin temperature rose and need the a/c to function. Not sure it will even reach 3% fuel save.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The amount of fuel you may save depends on your driving pattern. In the Double European Cycle currently used in Europe, S/S supposedly saves 3%, but on the US EPA cycle, it saves nothing. The European cycle has many stops of between 30 and 90 seconds duration.

The X3 does apparently have a high-capacity battery and very high-capacity alternator. Hopefully, the starter motor is also heavy duty, but it appears to be the same one used on versions that don't include S/S.

There is no doubt that using S/S must result in additional wear to the starter motor and starter drive, and possibly to the engine internals due to starting under reduced bearing oil pressure. How much fuel you can save is a matter of how much time you spend completely stopped in heavy traffic. To use it or not winds up being a personal decision based on the fuel you MAY be saving and how long you expect to own the car. If you trade in often, the extra wear probably won't be a concern. However if you want to drive the X3 for 150,000 miles and keep it well beyond the warranty period, it may be a major concern.
As usual a very sensible constructive reply, I agree totally.
      12-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

Hi guys, Thanks for all your replies!

I decided to leave the START/STOP function on for a while and see if there's any disruption. According to the tech support guys in my local BMW dealer, there is no problem in wear and tear bec BMW designed a different switching mechanism to implement this start/stop function which is different from actually starting the engine when pressing the start/stop button. OK.. I actually have no idea what they are talking Just leave it like for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
Wow, a fellow indonesian congrats on your new X3
Cool! Glad to meet another Indonesian X3 owner.We are a rather exclusive group for now as X3s are still relatively rare in Indonesia. What's your X3 color?

Quote:
I usually have my start/stop feature deactivated. I find that s/s system is activated right after driving a few meters, and I agree with jsplayin that I don't like the s/s feature to activate when the engine is still cold. Besides, it is hot where we are, so I find the engine will start itself before the traffic light turned green as the cabin temperature rose and need the a/c to function. Not sure it will even reach 3% fuel save.
Hmm... According again to the tech support guys, the aircon operation is not disrupted by the auto start/stop function. Reading the manual seems to confirm this as the start/stop will not be enabled when outside ambient temperature is hot.

Last edited by Ben Lee; 12-05-2011 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Apart from pressing the button next to the start/stop button, is there a way we can turn it off permanently without having to press the button every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkntigr View Post
Apart from pressing the button next to the start/stop button, is there a way we can turn it off permanently without having to press the button every time.
No you can't unfortunately. It's also difficult to see if you have switched it off because of its position

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lee View Post
Cool! Glad to meet another Indonesian X3 owner.We are a rather exclusive group for now as X3s are still relatively rare in Indonesia. What's your X3 color?

Hmm... According again to the tech support guys, the aircon operation is not disrupted by the auto start/stop function. Reading the manual seems to confirm this as the start/stop will not be enabled when outside ambient temperature is hot.
Yes X3 is still relatively rare here. I have yet to see another F25 X3 on the road. My X3 is sapphire black.

Yep, auto start/stop won't activate if the ambient temperature is above 30°C, but here I find myself driving with 28-29°C on the temperature display, so the start/stop system will still activated.
In the manual, it says the car will restart automatically even if I don't want to drive of if "very high temperature inside the passenger compartment, if the cooling function is on"

In my experience when stopping at traffic light, the car often restarted itself before the light turned green. It doesn't get very hot inside, but I do set the a/c temp at 17-18°C, so I just assume the inside temperature must have reached beyond that and the car had to turn the compressor back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I do set the a/c temp at 17-18°C, so I just assume the inside temperature must have reached beyond that and the car had to turn the compressor back on.
It must be like a "FRIDGE" in that car, I leave mine on 20 Deg C, auto.
Never touch it.
      12-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
It must be like a "FRIDGE" in that car, I leave mine on 20 Deg C, auto.
Never touch it.
Must be because of hot and humid weather here, I feel 20°C is not adequate to cool down the car in sunny days
Appreciate 0