BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 X3 xdrive35 and have had a major issue with the motor. The first morning I started it cold, I noticed a loud ticking sound coming from the motor that eventually went away as the motor warmed up after 3-5 minutes. This ticking sound continued every time the engine was started when cold, but not when it was warm. I called my dealer after a couple of days and scheduled an appointment to have it looked at. I dropped the X3 off on the 12th day of ownership and it has now been in the shop for two and a half weeks. After eight days of trying to diagnose the problem they decided to replace the entire head or "upper part" of the motor as they described to me. The parts arrived at the dealership yesterday and they anticipate the repair to be completed next week. BMW NA has been worthless during this entire process.

My local dealer, COs BMW in Colorado, has been very understanding and cooperative during the process. I finally spoke to the owner of the dealership this week and she agreed to replace the X3 with a new vehicle. I ordered the new one yesterday and hope to see it by the end of November. The dealer said that BMW is going to take back the original X3 because they want to investigate the cause of the problem. Maybe they are having some issues regarding the N55 motor and are trying to get them solved.
What's funny about that is that they dinged the 2011 year model for having issues yet here is your 2012 having the issue and they gave your model year a recommended rating. I still have yet to read about a 2011 on the boards with engine issues and typically this is where people come to complain if they have a problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
mtbmaniac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, 2013 X3 MSport

I mis-typed my previous post. My X3 is a 2013.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I finally spoke to the owner of the dealership this week and she agreed to replace the X3 with a new vehicle. I ordered the new one yesterday and hope to see it by the end of November.
Wow, awesome story, I'm happy to see that BMW took responsibility for their problem and replaced your X3 with a new car.

If Apple sold you the car they'd probably blame your engine problem on the way you buckled your seat belt.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
Chasecia
Steven J Amato
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 M Sport

36k on '11 35 M Sport. No, repeat, no issues. CS is a moronic publication. Their reports are unreliable regarding auto testing. They need to stick with toasters & waffle irons.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
I don't see the same ratings that you're finding. Here's the ratings I see listed currently. Don't look bad to me, though the score of 80 isn't as good as the Lexus (88). I test drove both and would NEVER purchase the Lexus (though I understand why ladies like it).

Oddly enough, I didn't see the 2012 X3 3.5i listed, only the 2.8i (even though the graphic clearly shows 6-cyl. turbo).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

If you looks at CR's latest overall reliability report by brand they look at 28 brands. Eleven of those brands are Japanese or Korean. Nine of the top 10 rated brands are Japanese-Korean. Only Audi makes the top 10 for non J-K and the only J-K brands in the bottom 18 are Nissan and Hyundai. As far as I know this dominance in CR rankings for Japanese-Korean cars has been going on for two decades. I can only think of three reasons for it- either non J-K car makers are so inept technologically they can't compete, or CR has a conscious or unconscious bias towards J-K cars, or the reporting methods are skewed or manipulated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Seems people may not care anyway:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/03/i...ay-are-we-all/
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Nop. It is because the J-K cars work well and don't break.

It is very easy for manufacturers to get on the top ten/twenty list... build good product. It is that simple.

My car prior to my X3 was a Honda Accord and nothing broke or failed in 8+ years and 230K kms... nothing Add gas, change the oil and brakes and the car never failed.

If BMW builds cars that way they'd make the list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
snip...As far as I know this dominance in CR rankings for Japanese-Korean cars has been going on for two decades. I can only think of three reasons for it- either non J-K car makers are so inept technologically they can't compete, or CR has a conscious or unconscious bias towards J-K cars, or the reporting methods are skewed or manipulated.
      11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Nop. It is because the J-K cars work well and don't break.

It is very easy for manufacturers to get on the top ten/twenty list... build good product. It is that simple.

My car prior to my X3 was a Honda Accord and nothing broke or failed in 8+ years and 230K kms... nothing Add gas, change the oil and brakes and the car never failed.

If BMW builds cars that way they'd make the list too.
Well lbigh, if this was 1987 when I bought a Toyota pickup truck for just that reason and drove it 150K with only things that are supposed to go wrong going wrong- Motor Seal at 90K like clockwork, hydraulic clutch seals 2X- then I'd agree with you without a second thought. But the concept that J-K cars are trouble free and all others are buckets of bolts has been front page news in the auto industry for 25 years. Huge efforts have been made to end that notion. The Explorer that I just put 180K on has been trouble free except for things that are expected to wrong- clutch, its a manual, minor door handle type things, etc-
I've only just subscribed to CR this month so I don't know how things work with them getting input on repair frequency. But if the sales sharks I've met at Toyota dealerships have anything to do with reporting on repairs to CR then I'd suspect the numbers are padded. Just purely speculation on my part.
If it's all fair and square then you'd have to choose option #1, that other car makers are inept.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #32
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Idk but, I'm throwing eggs at them next Halloween !