BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Understanding Profiles in 2012 X3

Trying to figure out how "profiles" works with 2 sets of keys (husband and wife) with different settings for seats/mirrors/pre sets, etc. Here are my questions:

1. I'm driving and I make a minor seat or mirror adjustment. Is that automatically saved to my profile (my profile is engaged already as I'm driving). Or do I have to do something to save it to my profile?

2. In my 2011 328i (with convenience/comfort access), the car senses who opens the drivers door (with whose key in the pocket) -- without any unlocking -- and adjusts accordingly (seat moves, mirrors move, etc); radio settings for driver are changes -- as soon as door is opened (no unlocking rquired). With the 2012 X3 (also with convenience access/comfort access), do you have to hit the unlock button on the remote or manually choose a profile in idrive to change it to the next driver who gets in? Or does it auto sense it (based on the key in pocket) like in my 328i? I've tested this, but it does't seem to work in the x3.

In other words, do you have to do anything manually so that the car moves seat, mirrors and other settings for new driver (when car is already unlocked)? Assume idrive is set with settings to auto move seats, etc. for each driver.

By the way, all of the above assume the car is not locked. When we park in our garage at home, we don't lock.

3. I'm driving with my profile and pull up to valet or service person. Do I set the profile to "guest" with engine running? If the valet later locks the car and opens with my key (assume I do not give valet key), doesn't it revert back to my profile? How does it stay at guest profile, so valet doesn't mess up my profile (if valet moves seat and stuff)?

Is there some other better way to handle this valet situation?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

According to onboard manual profiles do not remember mirror settings... at least that is what I read from my test drive X3.

Sorry not to answer your question...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
According to onboard manual profiles do not remember mirror settings... at least that is what I read from my test drive X3.

Sorry not to answer your question...
They should be remembered if you have the Folding mirror option.
I think you have to select the memory setting ( 1 or 2 ) in the door panel once everything has been set , at least thats what I remember doing ( Could be wrong though).
      10-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
They should be remembered if you have the Folding mirror option.
I think you have to select the memory setting ( 1 or 2 ) in the door panel once everything has been set , at least thats what I remember doing ( Could be wrong though).
I have all of the necessary options. Tech, premium, convenience packages.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesardog View Post
Trying to figure out how "profiles" works with 2 sets of keys (husband and wife) with different settings for seats/mirrors/pre sets, etc. Here are my questions:

1. I'm driving and I make a minor seat or mirror adjustment. Is that automatically saved to my profile (my profile is engaged already as I'm driving). Or do I have to do something to save it to my profile?
The way it works is that you have two memory positions (1, 2) for driver seat and mirror, but the car also remembers the last position of the seat and mirrors. This position is used the next time you unlock the car with the same profile key fob. If you want to return a memorized setting rather than the last setting you used, just hold 1 or 2 down until the seat and mirrors have finished moving.

Quote:
2. In my 2011 328i (with convenience/comfort access), the car senses who opens the drivers door (with whose key in the pocket) -- without any unlocking -- and adjusts accordingly (seat moves, mirrors move, etc); radio settings for driver are changes -- as soon as door is opened (no unlocking rquired). With the 2012 X3 (also with convenience access/comfort access), do you have to hit the unlock button on the remote or manually choose a profile in idrive to change it to the next driver who gets in? Or does it auto sense it (based on the key in pocket) like in my 328i? I've tested this, but it does't seem to work in the x3.

In other words, do you have to do anything manually so that the car moves seat, mirrors and other settings for new driver (when car is already unlocked)? Assume idrive is set with settings to auto move seats, etc. for each driver.

By the way, all of the above assume the car is not locked. When we park in our garage at home, we don't lock.
It's all based on unlock but the car can already be unlocked to switch profiles from one fob to another. If you sit in the car and unlock with one fob and then the other, the seats and mirrors will change to the last position they were in with each profile respectively. With the convenience package, if the car is already unlocked, I can't see how it accurately would know which profile to switch to if both keys are present. I would guess (i don't have convenience package) that you need to press unlock to switch or you need to unlock the car by touching the door handle (no good in your garage scenario)

Quote:
3. I'm driving with my profile and pull up to valet or service person. Do I set the profile to "guest" with engine running? If the valet later locks the car and opens with my key (assume I do not give valet key), doesn't it revert back to my profile? How does it stay at guest profile, so valet doesn't mess up my profile (if valet moves seat and stuff)?

I'm not sure how the guest profile works wrt seats and mirrors as I've not tried it yet. I would imagine once in guest mode, the functionality is the same. Unlocking with your key will switch back to your profile and your last used seat/mirror position. Switching back to guest to will go back to the last seat/mirror position the guest profile was using

Hope this helps

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The way it works is that you have two memory positions (1, 2) for driver seat and mirror, but the car also remembers the last position of the seat and mirrors. This position is used the next time you unlock the car with the same profile key fob. If you want to return a memorized setting rather than the last setting you used, just hold 1 or 2 down until the seat and mirrors have finished moving.

It's all based on unlock but the car can already be unlocked to switch profiles from one fob to another. If you sit in the car and unlock with one fob and then the other, the seats and mirrors will change to the last position they were in with each profile respectively. With the convenience package, if the car is already unlocked, I can't see how it accurately would know which profile to switch to if both keys are present. I would guess (i don't have convenience package) that you need to press unlock to switch or you need to unlock the car by touching the door handle (no good in your garage scenario)

I'm not sure how the guest profile works wrt seats and mirrors as I've not tried it yet. I would imagine once in guest mode, the functionality is the same. Unlocking with your key will switch back to your profile and your last used seat/mirror position. Switching back to guest to will go back to the last seat/mirror position the guest profile was using

Hope this helps
There is a ton of misinformation here. But thanks for trying.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There is a ton of misinformation here. But thanks for trying.
It isn't that difficult to spend 10 minutes in the car with both key fobs working it out for yourself. Perhaps when you do you this you can enlighten us and correct the ton of misinformation rather than just dismissing it. I did this 8 months ago, understand exactly how it works (except for the guest profile which, as I said, I have never used) and I haven't had any problems since

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It isn't that difficult to spend 10 minutes in the car with both key fobs working it out for yourself. Perhaps when you do you this you can enlighten us and correct the ton of misinformation rather than just dismissing it. I did this 8 months ago, understand exactly how it works (except for the guest profile which, as I said, I have never used) and I haven't had any problems since
You don't have comfort access, so its not the same.

For example, with comfort access, even with the car already unlocked, the car recognizes the key when you open the driver's door (the key on the person who opens the driver's door) - and loads the profile associated with that key. So no need to unlock.

Weirdly, the manual makes no mention of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

If you take "unlock" to mean "press unlock on key fob" or "touch door handle with key in pocket", the rest of the process surely remains the same and should be independent of how you "unlock". The car doesn't have to be locked to "unlock" it

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you work this out? Other members may be interested

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I think there are two types of profile automation: There is how it is supposed to work, and then there is how it sometimes works... both our X5 and X3 have CA, and there can be some bizzzare and annoyoing idiosyncracies. First, it is important to understand that you have a choice of when the profile is read and adjustments are made: 1) Upon unlocking, 2) Upon vehicle start. You select this in the vehicle settings in iDrive.

Because the system is using a radio signal between the fob and the system, it can be challenging when both driver and passenger have their key with them. But even so, it is usually able to determine who is in the driver's seat. The profile should: Set the seat position, set the sideview mirror positions, set the radio presets, set the climate preferences and settings, DRL setting, auto-lock settings, last iDrive screen displayed, last entertainment source, alarm beep/no beep, triple turn signal preference, and some others like whether you take cream and sugar.

It is still highly advisable to set the long-term seat memory (1,2) for each driver just in case it does not auto-adjust. Also, every time they do a software update on your car it blows most or all of the profile settings away. It's like taking delivery of your new car all over again... over and over....

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I will try it when both fob presents, what happens if the passengers side gets unlocked. When I was testing it on the weekend, it selects the profile that unlocks the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

1. You don't have to save it to your profile it is automatic.

2. Will try that later and report. Just a note though if you got comfort access, just make sure you lock your car if you are going to be away for a while as it drains the battery. Numerous report from people leaving their cars unlocked and went away and they can't start their car after only two weeks. It is not X3 specific so they might have fixed that.

3. I think the most convenient way is to have your seat position memorised. Just press 1 and 2 once you get back in the car. The seats will go back to the position last lock. Remember in a valet situation you usually have your car driven to you, so the car is already running and you wouldn't turn off the car, and restart again. Also, the memory seats 1 and 2 is attached to the fob as well. So, you can have two positions for each key.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
1. You don't have to save it to your profile it is automatic.
This isn't true strictly speaking. What is saved is the last position the seat and mirrors were in when you lock the car. As soon as you change the seat or mirror again these settings are overwritten. To permanently save them to your profile you need to use M + 1 or M + 2.

Aside the from the method of unlocking (and consequently switching profile) the profiles seem to work exactly the same way as without CA (as I expected) and therefore my description of what gets saved, when and how is accurate with or without CA

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You don't have comfort access, so its not the same.

For example, with comfort access, even with the car already unlocked, the car recognizes the key when you open the driver's door (the key on the person who opens the driver's door) - and loads the profile associated with that key. So no need to unlock.

Weirdly, the manual makes no mention of this.
Tested it out this morning, and it is pretty kewl. If you unlock the passengers door with your key fob, there is no change of seat. Not until I open the driver's door, it goes back to the previous seat position - which I assume that's when the profile kicks in. Didn't want to wake my wife up and grab her keys this morning but will try what happens if I then decided not to drive and close the door and she opens the door with her keys.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Tested it out this morning, and it is pretty kewl. If you unlock the passengers door with your key fob, there is no change of seat. Not until I open the driver's door, it goes back to the previous seat position - which I assume that's when the profile kicks in. Didn't want to wake my wife up and grab her keys this morning but will try what happens if I then decided not to drive and close the door and she opens the door with her keys.
She was complaining her seat settings were not working so my profile remained with the car. However, I never started the car so that might have made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Okay, I worked it out. If you "unlock" your car on the driver's side it will change over. As soon as you put your hand through the handle it unlocks (even if it is already unlocked). Didn't work for my wife this morning probably because she didn't unlock the car for some how the way she opens the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is actually makes it worse than without CA. I unlock remotely with the key fob as I'm walking to the car and by the time I've reached the car and opened the door, the seat has finished moving (from my wife's seat position). If I had CA and touched the handle, I'd have to stand there and wait for the seat to finish moving before I could get in. Therefore I would end up always unlocking with the fob remotely if I had CA

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Zoo54924
Getting there...
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

I must be missing something. I have CA and profiles set on the iDRIVE as well. Lets say my wife was the last to drive the car. When I approach the car the next day, touch the handle to unlock, my seat position doesnt move. I would have to go into my "profile" on the idrive, select that, then I press 1 to get my seat position. What am i missing here? is there a simpler way?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo54924 View Post
I must be missing something. I have CA and profiles set on the iDRIVE as well. Lets say my wife was the last to drive the car. When I approach the car the next day, touch the handle to unlock, my seat position doesnt move. I would have to go into my "profile" on the idrive, select that, then I press 1 to get my seat position. What am i missing here? is there a simpler way?
It should automatically switch progile and move to your last seat position on unlock (not your 1, 2 saved position, just the last position the seat was in the last time your profile was used). If it doesn't you have a problem. Try unlocking using the key to eliminate CA as the cause

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
128Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Coupe

Quote:
Trying to figure out how "profiles" works with 2 sets of keys (husband and wife) with different settings for seats/mirrors/pre sets, etc.

Like others who have participated in this thread, my wife and I have been struggling with this as well. She is much shorter than I am; so, of course, she needs different seat and mirror settings than me. Our objective is to have the driver's seat and the outside rear-view mirrors automatically set correctly for the person who is about to start driving the X3. When everything is set up as I describe below, the individual settings for a driver will go into effect when the unlock button is pressed on that person's (key) remote.

First, as others have indicated, the functioning of the seat memory buttons "[M] [1] and [2]" is completely independent of what BMW calls "personal profiles". Here I will only talk about how the "profiles" feature appears to behave in our 2012 X3 28i. (Note: You can set up three different personal profiles. There is also a "Guest" profile that I do not discuss here.)

After considerable experimentation, I concluded that various different answers in this thread each have pieces of the correct answer; but those pieces are context-dependent - hence the apparent contradictions in some of the replies. These context dependencies can be a bit tricky. There's certainly more to it than first met my eye. In my opinion the Owner's Manual is very incomplete and confusing; so let me take a stab at explaining how I think this system works.

First I'll explain how I set up two driver profiles, one for myself ("Jack"), and one for my wife, "Dee". In order for all of this to work, you must first associate each physical key (remote) with a separate profile.

Step 1. I took my key (making sure that Dee's key was not also in the car), got into the X3, and started it up.

Step 2. Using the iDrive, I selected "Settings", then "Door locks", and made sure that the "Last seat position is automatic" item was checked.

Step 3. Using the iDrive, I selected "Settings", then "Profiles". On the right-hand side I saw a list of three profiles each currently named "(-----)", followed by a profile named "Guest". You will see a check mark next to one of the "(-----)" profiles - that is the "current profile", i.e., the one that is presently "active" in the vehicle and that is associated with the key presently located inside the vehicle (in this example mine).

Step 4. I made sure the current profile (the checked one) was highlighed, then pressed the "Option" button. Then I selected "Rename current profile", and entered "Jack", then selected [Ok].

Step 5. I put the seat and mirrors in my preferred positions, and turned the engine off; then I got out of the car and used my remote to lock it. (I realize many other things are saved with each profile, but I'm only concerned with the seats and exterior mirrors here.) Note: Each time you lock the car, the states of the various settings, as they exist at that moment, are re-saved in the current profile (the one that is associated with the remote key in use.)

Step 6. I took my key into the house, left it there, brought Dee's key out to the car, and started the engine.

Step 7. Using the iDrive, I selected "Settings", then "Door locks", and made sure that the "Last seat position is automatic" item was checked. (Note: This setting, alomg with others, is saved with each profile, so you need to do this for each profile.)

Step 8. Using the iDrive, I selected "Settings", then "Profiles". On the right-hand side I made sure that the current profile (the one with the check mark by it) was one of the two remaining profiles still named "(-----)".

Step 9. I made sure the current profile was highlighed, then pressed the "Option" button. Then I selected "Rename current profile", and entered "Dee", then selected [Ok].

Step 10. With the engine still running, I had my wife sit in the car, and she put the seat and mirrors in her preferred positions. She then turned the engine off, got out of the car, and used her remote to lock it. This saved the X3's present state settings into her profile.

That's it - everything is now set up.

Our 2012 X3 does not have comfort access; and, at least without CA, you must start the change-to-a-different-driver process with the car actually locked, in order for the unlock button on the new driver's remote to invoke that new driver's profile.

So from now on (at least on cars without CA), if you want to maintain marital bliss, make sure that each driver locks the car each time after driving it - even if it's parked in a locked garage.

I hope others will add clarifications and make any necesary corrections to my explanations.

Jack.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #22
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Guy View Post
So from now on (at least on cars without CA), if you want to maintain marital bliss, make sure that each driver locks the car each time after driving it - even if it's parked in a locked garage.
This seems to be the biggest thing for me & the gf, we never lock doors in the garage, and that leads to a lot of headaches with the profiles.

The way I somewhat fixed it, was make sure each profile had the "load profile menu on startup" (or whatever it's called), it's a wee bit annoying at first, but we got used to it, it's just an extra push of the iDrive knob (I don't like waiting for the "Accept" crap from the splash screen to go away on its own...)

But, this still leaves the scenario when we drop each other off and the driver swaps around, it would mean we'd have to each get out of the car, whoever was driving turn off car & lock doors, only for the other driver to unlock & start car again, or profiles still get weird sometimes because my key remembers her last preset as my own.

Profile management has to be the biggest "headache" we've had with the X3, but at least the seat memory buttons are never wrong, so it's a big old 5 second thing to fix it. Sad that nearly all my other cars did this with so much ease & never, ever got mixed up...
Appreciate 0