BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #1321
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Ooops sorry, no, didn't mean the interior, meant the exterior: ie so much black.

Completely agree re the oyster - the best (luxury and "light and airy") choice to go with black (as long as you don't have toddlers )
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #1322
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

great looking car Plob

was in the Reading dealership yesterday for some warranty work and was tempted by a black 3.5D Msport... until i heard the price of 50k GBP!
      03-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #1323
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTPie View Post
Ooops sorry, no, didn't mean the interior, meant the exterior: ie so much black.

Completely agree re the oyster - the best (luxury and "light and airy") choice to go with black (as long as you don't have toddlers )
Aha - now I'm with you

The exterior is all down to personal preference of course. Personally, I felt that a CB exterior would look too dark with tinted windows, the high gloss shadowline window trim and roof rails - that was why I changed them back to the matt aluminium ones.
I know that the black trim is a cost option for the SE but I preferred the look of it. Having seen the car 'in the flesh', I feel that I made the right choice for me but others may not agree.

Good luck with your deliberations. Personally, I love the M Sport look and can recommend it.

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #1324
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Just Joined - new order

Our BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d auto SE in oyster leather and white exterior has been confirmed for week 19 delivery!

Just joined here so hi to everyone....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #1325
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Our BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d auto SE in oyster leather and white exterior has been confirmed for week 19 delivery!

Just joined here so hi to everyone....
Welcome, Congrats on your order.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #1326
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

I think the difficulty choosing exterior is partly down to so few of the new style X3 and X3 M Sport on the roads (at least around here.... lots of RR Evoques, very few X3s!). Deciding colour from photographs and little colour samples is really difficult.

I did see a CB M Sport in a showroom, a couple of weeks ago, and it did look magnificent (at least when all polished up). It had the black gloss exterior trim, but I agree with you: the aluminium exterior trim "breaks it up a bit".

I look forward to more photos soon - maybe some in some sunshine too

Plymjack, welcome. When did you order yours?

QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
Aha - now I'm with you

The exterior is all down to personal preference of course. Personally, I felt that a CB exterior would look too dark with tinted windows, the high gloss shadowline window trim and roof rails - that was why I changed them back to the matt aluminium ones.
I know that the black trim is a cost option for the SE but I preferred the look of it. Having seen the car 'in the flesh', I feel that I made the right choice for me but others may not agree.

Good luck with your deliberations. Personally, I love the M Sport look and can recommend it.

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #1327
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

ohhh just realised this forum isnt blocked from work WOO HOO :-)
Congrats on your new order plymjack.... the wait begins .

dnw, the more I read posts on here, the more I am swayed towards the Auto. Have booked in another visit with the dealers to go for a test drive in an Auto and decide. I hope and pray they do not have a M Sport in stock else that will mean more money

Even with all the pros for the Pro Nav, I cannot justify selecting it. I know it will hold its value unlike other optional extras but 2.5k is a bit much. getting 10 quid last week instead of a million when the numbers in the lottery were shown hasnt helped either

So its now down to Auto or Manual and Interior as Black or Oyster.. life is simple
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1328
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

/me puts down £10 on swfrom going for an auto ...

... like taking candy from a baby.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.

Last edited by Horsey; 03-08-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1329
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfrom07 View Post
So its now down to Auto or Manual and Interior as Black or Oyster.. life is simple
Auto for sure, from my previous conversations with the dealer, most people are going for the Auto and they were gutted that they sold their only demo with Autos and was left with a demo/manual that people didn't really want or could test.
      03-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #1330
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

If you read What Car! X3 review they make the following summary:

For With the optional Variable Damper Control, the X3 strikes a fine balance between comfort and agility. The cabin is classy and spacious, and running costs are low.

Against Its wide transmission tunnel makes life uncomfortable for a central rear passenger and the manual gearbox is a bit clunky. We’re yet to try the X3 on standard suspension.

Go for Auto
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #1331
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Yes I am thinking swf will go Auto once tried....although the manual we tried was excellent in my view and not at all clunky. Seems to me that Auto suits that kind of car if that makes sense.
Got to say though swf - one has to keep a level head, add Auto Nav...and M Sport then the cost is rising fast....
My personal choice between Oyster and Black would be Oyster, we test drove that colour and it was nice, went with the fake wood nicely (another extra), it's so personal though, would say that colour combo is...how can I put this...best suited to a more mature person. We have gone for white with red brown leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #1332
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Totally agree SR40X3...if one doesnt keep track of the options, the costs just keep on rising.
A quick trip to the dealer on Saturday for a test drive will seal the deal for the Auto me thinks.. even though the manual gearbox is just as good considering all you people on here have experienced it first hand and it seems to be the best on the market.

Considering we dont have kids yet, I thought it might be a good change to go for Oyster instead of the black. We had black leather in the Freelander 2 with a black exterior too.. though swmbo doesnt fancy it.
So might end up being a black interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1333
richardkingsley
Registered
Rep
Drives: None yet

Hi All,

Just about to order new x3 after spending two days driving myself mad deciding between q5 and x3 and even longer changing my mind on options.

We have have decided on x3 2.0d, automatic, solid black, access package, sport seats (although can't believe on a 36k car they are not electric as standard), sports steering wheel, xenons, professional speakers, heated seats, folding mirrors and reverse camera.

Anybody think we have missed something essential. We deliberately didn't get nav as can't justify 2k for navigation in 2012 - should be standard fit at this level.

Thanks

Richard
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #1334
SR40X3
Private
Rep

Agreed Richard 2k for nav is ridiculous....especially the BMW nav which is substandard in my view/experience - had it in our X5 and 335, neither could take post codes although I understand this has been rectified.
Swf....my apologies, sure you have said but what external colour did you go for? Had an X5 in the past, that was black ext with beige leather - now that was lovely. There's a lot to be said for a lighter interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #1335
richardkingsley
Registered
Rep
Drives: None yet

Gone for the jet black with the black nevada leather. I wanted the oyster, but was overruled

Richard
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #1336
SR40X3
Private
Rep

Oyster is very nice Rich...we test drove that colour...but I know how you feel, haha.

You have a nice spec there, have you considered an Msport version? Think you get most of the stuff you specced in the base cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #1337
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkingsley View Post
Hi All,

Just about to order new x3 after spending two days driving myself mad deciding between q5 and x3 and even longer changing my mind on options.

We have have decided on x3 2.0d, automatic, solid black, access package, sport seats (although can't believe on a 36k car they are not electric as standard), sports steering wheel, xenons, professional speakers, heated seats, folding mirrors and reverse camera.

Anybody think we have missed something essential. We deliberately didn't get nav as can't justify 2k for navigation in 2012 - should be standard fit at this level.

Thanks

Richard
Hi, The Visibility package is worth thinking about, you get xenons, adaptive headlights, folding mirrors and high beam assistant.( you already have xenons and folding mirrors).
The sat nav is a must when it comes time to sell your x3 for resale value.
Reversing camera with top view is very handy for parking.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #1338
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I am *trying* to write a page a which in one place has all the options explained ... Its probably far from right at the moment as I have basically transcribed the BMW UK configurator and augmented it with videos from the US site.

Now I have the basics out the way, I will probably have to re-organise it ...

I then intent to trawl the forum here and work out the "secrets" about what gives what, and what’s required for what and why choose what.

... but if anyone fancies saving me some time with the obviously non-obvious stuff like sat nav and audio and USB/Phone ... please drop me a private note and I will "paste" in your words of insight.

Thanks ...

http://x3orevoque.co.uk/bmw_x3_options

And if you think I am wasting my time ... just ignore me ... just trying to pass time till I get my broom ...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1339
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkingsley View Post
Hi All,

Thanks

Richard

Yes the Prof Nav is an expensive option but you have to remember it's not just a nav system it's a mutimedia system that allows you to do all sorts of clever things, including saving CDs to the hard drive. Another useful thing is the ability to send routes you've worked out at home on your pc to the car. I've worked out the main route for my 2 week touring holiday in France and sent it to the car. You couln't do that on a Tom Tom!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #1340
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
Another useful thing is the ability to send routes you've worked out at home on your pc to the car. I've worked out the main route for my 2 week touring holiday in France and sent it to the car.
You can send routes? I'm jealous! On this side of the pond all that we can send is a destination.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #1341
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I understand from what I read that OEM sat nav is one of the very few (auto and metalic the others) options that adds a slight resale value to your F25 over one that does not have sat nav.

Unfortunately from a wealth view, I like others on this forum, added a few more.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #1342
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
If you read What Car! X3 review they make the following summary:

For With the optional Variable Damper Control, the X3 strikes a fine balance between comfort and agility. The cabin is classy and spacious, and running costs are low.

Against Its wide transmission tunnel makes life uncomfortable for a central rear passenger and the manual gearbox is a bit clunky. We’re yet to try the X3 on standard suspension.

Go for Auto
Best to try something for yourself than rely on car mags......some of the testers appear clueless based on what they write. I regularly read WhatCar? and there are so many examples of incorrect information and advice.

Despite opting for an SUV, some people still prefer the involvement and driver engagement that a manual box provides and don't want an auto.

However BMW seem to be screwing up the driving position of late and both the X3 and new 3 series in manual guise have offset pedals which might be a deciding factor.
Appreciate 0