BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
X3Baller
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Unhappy Small Fender Bender repair advice

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help. Scroll down to the Aftermath section if you don’t care about the background. Thanks.

Background:

I was driving in Brooklyn, NY on the prospect park expressway waiting at a red light before Church Avenue (this is where it turns from the prospect park expressway to ocean parkway). When the light turned green I took off and the guy from behind slammed into me. It sounded horrible and I thought a lot of damage was done to the back of my 2013 BMX X3. But surprisingly the bumper was resilient and took the hit like a boss. I stopped and signaled to the person behind me to pull over. Long story short, he acted like he was going to and instead sped off and ran three red lights (I wish there was a recording feature for the rear camera). Fortunately for him I had my girlfriend and two toddlers in the car or else if would’ve been a scene out of fast and furious. I can joke about it now because it’s been two weeks since it happened and I’m calmer now. Anyways, I called 911 (at the time of the incident) and it took them 1 hour and 40 minutes to come (smh) and after I told the cops what happened and the person license plates #. One cop said to me and I quote, “what do you want me to put in the report? You got a scratch on your bumper?” My response was “Are you trying to be funny? Because someone just broke the law, hit and ran and my 2 and 3 year old kids are shaken up. “That’s when the other officer intervened and basically told me before being a police officer, he was an insurance adjuster and what is going to happen is that they are field officers and passes the report on. Usually they don’t act on cases such as these even if the license plates # is known because they have far too many cases. I was flabbergasted when he said that because he is basically saying that people are allowed to break the law and get away with it. He also stated that him writing a police report is only going to make my insurance go up and if I were to get it fix, I would have to pay the deductible (which in my case is $500). I asked him to proceed with writing the report.

Aftermath:

The fact is, I’m driving around with this guy’s blue painted license plate imprinted in my bumper and I don’t like the look of it. A carwash didn’t help. I went to AutoZone and they suggested Turtle wax but it was to no avail. The blue rectangle is the plastic part of the bumper. That has scuff marks with the blue paint as well. The red circles are actual dents into the metal part of the bumper (some with the blue paint). Moreover, someone told me that the metal part of the bumper can start rusting with rain or even in the winter time.

I have the following warranties:

1. BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty 6yr/100k Platinum .

2. http://www.xzilon.com/AppearanceProtection.php Xzilion X4 (according to the site it covers minor dents).

I think I have the following options:

1. Count my blessings and wait for something worst to happen and then get it fix.

2. Call my insurance company, report it, pay the deductible and get if fix/replace.

3. If you guys (or gals) know of any products I can use to remove the scuffs, paint or stop rusting before it happens, that will be great! But at the same time I don’t want to do a touch up paint job and make it look even worse than it is now.

My last question is how I can prevent this from happening in the future. I saw the bumper guard and bumper bully and if anyone can recommend which one they use that will be helpful. Also do you know of any for the front of the car? I’ve seen a lot on YouTube but don’t know which one to go with.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Last edited by X3Baller; 04-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Pictures are too large and stretching the thread horizontally.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Sorry for hit and run as I live in Brooklyn also. Just be glad everyone is safe.

The warranty xzilon does not cover the bumpers atleast that's what my BMW finance guy told me which is why i didn't get that warranty. It does not cover any plastic parts also. I could be wrong but that's what the rep told me.

Some cops in NYC are just lazy asses. Not all but alot of them are. I have the bumpshox on the front of my car and the bumper bully on the back of my car. It wouldn't help in your case as the bumper bully is meant to be flipped inside the trunk when driving. I would only imagine it scratching up the bumper more as it flaps around when someone drives with them hanging out. I always flip mine back in. Those bumper guards are ment to take a really low low impact and in your case I don't think it would have helped much.

Since you live in NYC I would just have a shop paint it back black so it's not as noticeable. But we all know this crap will happen again cuz NYC is just a bad place to own nice cars.

Personally I would just leave it alone until something else happens then get it fixed. No bumper in NYC is safe. Just part of living here.

I've spent hours trying to find the metal bumper guards for the front and rear but no company makes it. It would also set off the parking sensors each and every time. Good luck with whatever u decide and let us know what u plan to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Can you do me a favor and message me to let me know how much u paid for your warranties? I'm thinking of getting the extended warranty but the prices all seem too high. Please also let me know from which dealer u bought them from. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Find a decent detailer in your area, most of that paint transfer will buff right off.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
If you got the guys license plate and the police wrote a favorable report couldn't you file a claim with the other guys insurance and the deductable be waived because it was his fault ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacd55 View Post
If you got the guys license plate and the police wrote a favorable report couldn't you file a claim with the other guys insurance and the deductable be waived because it was his fault ?
this would have been the first thing i would have done.

look up the parts on REALOEM.com and get the part numbers. call afew dealers and get prices. tell them you were ivolved in a hit and run and maybe they will drop a few dollars from the cost of the parts. aside from several fastners, (part numbers too , some will not be reusable), replacing the parts is not too difficult. getting the bumper painted will be your biggest expecse, i'd guess.

to the eariler post the detail person could get the paint transfer off but the scratches to the high gloss painted areas will remain.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Baller View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help. Scroll down to the Aftermath section if you don’t care about the background. Thanks.

Background:

I was driving in Brooklyn, NY on the prospect park expressway waiting at a red light before Church Avenue (this is where it turns from the prospect park expressway to ocean parkway). When the light turned green I took off and the guy from behind slammed into me. It sounded horrible and I thought a lot of damage was done to the back of my 2013 BMX X3. But surprisingly the bumper was resilient and took the hit like a boss. I stopped and signaled to the person behind me to pull over. Long story short, he acted like he was going to and instead sped off and ran three red lights (I wish there was a recording feature for the rear camera). Fortunately for him I had my girlfriend and two toddlers in the car or else if would’ve been a scene out of fast and furious. I can joke about it now because it’s been two weeks since it happened and I’m calmer now. Anyways, I called 911 (at the time of the incident) and it took them 1 hour and 40 minutes to come (smh) and after I told the cops what happened and the person license plates #. One cop said to me and I quote, “what do you want me to put in the report? You got a scratch on your bumper?” My response was “Are you trying to be funny? Because someone just broke the law, hit and ran and my 2 and 3 year old kids are shaken up. “That’s when the other officer intervened and basically told me before being a police officer, he was an insurance adjuster and what is going to happen is that they are field officers and passes the report on. Usually they don’t act on cases such as these even if the license plates # is known because they have far too many cases. I was flabbergasted when he said that because he is basically saying that people are allowed to break the law and get away with it. He also stated that him writing a police report is only going to make my insurance go up and if I were to get it fix, I would have to pay the deductible (which in my case is $500). I asked him to proceed with writing the report.

Aftermath:

The fact is, I’m driving around with this guy’s blue painted license plate imprinted in my bumper and I don’t like the look of it. A carwash didn’t help. I went to AutoZone and they suggested Turtle wax but it was to no avail. The blue rectangle is the plastic part of the bumper. That has scuff marks with the blue paint as well. The red circles are actual dents into the metal part of the bumper (some with the blue paint). Moreover, someone told me that the metal part of the bumper can start rusting with rain or even in the winter time.

I have the following warranties:

1. BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty 6yr/100k Platinum .

2. http://www.xzilon.com/AppearanceProtection.php Xzilion X4 (according to the site it covers minor dents).

I think I have the following options:

1. Count my blessings and wait for something worst to happen and then get it fix.

2. Call my insurance company, report it, pay the deductible and get if fix/replace.

3. If you guys (or gals) know of any products I can use to remove the scuffs, paint or stop rusting before it happens, that will be great! But at the same time I don’t want to do a touch up paint job and make it look even worse than it is now.

My last question is how I can prevent this from happening in the future. I saw the bumper guard and bumper bully and if anyone can recommend which one they use that will be helpful. Also do you know of any for the front of the car? I’ve seen a lot on YouTube but don’t know which one to go with.

Thanks again!
I feel your pain, having had to replace a rear door after vandalism. Whether it is in NYC or the opposite side of the globe where I am, there are people like this no matter where you go. Fortunately, there are lots of bumper/dent repairers out there who can clean it up like new. And be comforted by Karma. It will come back in spades for this dude.

Btw the guy who did the deed on my car left some blood and the cops got a DNA match. He's off to the court next month.
Appreciate 0