BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

BMW Recalls 75,000+ Vehicles for: BRAKE FAILURE

And the BMW Trainwreck continues:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/28/b...-brake-recall/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

So, most if not all manufactures deal with production issues - look at Boeing...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX3 View Post
No big deal. This is a good thing. Manufacturer is correcting a potential issue. I had 3 Acuras which were 100% reliability, and all 3 had recalls for something.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Brakes failing is no big deal? You are def. a bimmer lover, but for me personally, I want a divorce. Have had it with the piss poor quality and service.

I certainly hope you are not infront of a bimmer whos breaks fail, and certainly not in one yourself.

But this isnt the only issue BMW has been experiencing lately.

Anyway, I thought its important to let you guys know, so you are aware and can take appropriate precautions. Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC
So, most if not all manufactures deal with production issues - look at Boeing...
This is just the beginning, BMW has gotten greedy, and the greedy always end up paying double, as the Russian saying goes. Anyway, they are juggling way too many things, it will really cause them to drop in reputation very quickly now, at very minimum with those who know what kind of quality BMW provided even 7 years ago vs. now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
pacecapt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Is is actually a "Recall"? I just went to the NTHSA website and it does not list any recalls just Complaints (7) and Service Bulletins (8).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

North of the border BMW is one of only a handful of manufactures not associated with the "Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan".

Either BMW thinks they are above 3rd party intervention or BMW has a resolution mechanism exceeding the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan. I'd like to believe it is the latter.

From "Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan":

All of the major domestic and international manufacturers participate with the exception of BMW and its subsidiary Mini, Mitsubishi and some of the smaller high value vehicle manufacturers such as Maserati, Ferrari, TVR and Lotus.
      10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Brakes failing is no big deal? You are def. a bimmer lover, but for me personally, I want a divorce. Have had it with the piss poor quality and service.
If you divorce every brand of vehicles that had a recall, you will be ride a bicycle pretty soon
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
I don't think I agree in characterizing BMW as a "Train wreck". I doubt any auto manufacturer is immune from recalls. In fact, it would not make good business sense to design and build a car that had a near zero probability of ever having a recall for something. It costs and it costs dearly the closer one gets to perfection. The only way a business can be successful is to coldly calculate how close to perfection is acceptable and then bounce the cost of achieving that predetermined level of perfection against the returns associated with that investment. The MBA's call this NPV (net present value). If BMW, or Toyota, or anyone for that matter, built a car that had a near zero probability of a recall we could not afford to buy it. I do not perceive BMW has a recall rate that is higher than industry norms.

BMWs certainly have their problems. None of my BMWs has ever come close to the absolutely almost trouble free experiences I have had with Japanese products. In fact, if my Lexus had the same level of issues that my BMWs have had I would have found it completely unacceptable. Also, the BMW dealership experience is typically terrible, especially compared to Lexus. Most BMW dealers, from my experience are arrogant and their customer service sucks. HOWEVER, none of the Japanese cars I have owned over the years gives me the wonderfully incredible driving experience the BMWs do. None have that feel that makes me feel good getting behind the wheel of a BMW. Therefore, I am willing to accept a lesser degree of perfection from BMWs than I would from say Lexus. My RX350 feels and drives just like my Dad's heavy metal 1956 Pink and White Buick Roadmaster. It better be good in all other respects because it has no redeeming value as a wonderful piece of machinery.

There are tradeoff with everything, especially when there is an associated cost. I personally would like to see a more trouble free product from BMW but I am obviously satified enough, in the balance, to continue to go back and buy more of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

If you don't like your BMW - sell it.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Edge2112
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Let's just all be thankful no-one makes us drive a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I don't think I agree in characterizing BMW as a "Train wreck". I doubt any auto manufacturer is immune from recalls. In fact, it would not make good business sense to design and build a car that had a near zero probability of ever having a recall for something. It costs and it costs dearly the closer one gets to perfection. The only way a business can be successful is to coldly calculate how close to perfection is acceptable and then bounce the cost of achieving that predetermined level of perfection against the returns associated with that investment. The MBA's call this NPV (net present value). If BMW, or Toyota, or anyone for that matter, built a car that had a near zero probability of a recall we could not afford to buy it. I do not perceive BMW has a recall rate that is higher than industry norms.

BMWs certainly have their problems. None of my BMWs has ever come close to the absolutely almost trouble free experiences I have had with Japanese products. In fact, if my Lexus had the same level of issues that my BMWs have had I would have found it completely unacceptable. Also, the BMW dealership experience is typically terrible, especially compared to Lexus. Most BMW dealers, from my experience are arrogant and their customer service sucks. HOWEVER, none of the Japanese cars I have owned over the years gives me the wonderfully incredible driving experience the BMWs do. None have that feel that makes me feel good getting behind the wheel of a BMW. Therefore, I am willing to accept a lesser degree of perfection from BMWs than I would from say Lexus. My RX350 feels and drives just like my Dad's heavy metal 1956 Pink and White Buick Roadmaster. It better be good in all other respects because it has no redeeming value as a wonderful piece of machinery.

There are tradeoff with everything, especially when there is an associated cost. I personally would like to see a more trouble free product from BMW but I am obviously satified enough, in the balance, to continue to go back and buy more of them.
RhoXS, well said, this so called BMW train wreck is on pace to set a another record for sales this year. If you consider a car's quality as a function of the amount of recalls, then car companies such as Range Rover or Ferrari should have no recalls, and we all know thats is not the case.
We have owned some of the X3's competitors such as the Audi Q5, Lexus RX450h and ML350, the X3's quality is right up there with the best of them if not better.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
787's were also built in South Carolina
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:

I certainly hope you are not infront of a bimmer whos breaks fail, and certainly not in one yourself.

But this isnt the only issue BMW has been experiencing lately.

Anyway, I thought its important to let you guys know, so you are aware and can take appropriate precautions. Drive safe.
The brakes aren't completely failing. The problem is with the power boost. The brakes still work you just have to push the peddle a little harder.

All manufactures run into issues from time to time. Remember Toyota's sticking acceleration problems from a few years back. Massive recall for that one, from a manufacture with a great reputation for reliability.
      10-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

I'd rather have a manufacturer who recognizes an issue with a recall or TSB over a manufacturer who denies anything is wrong when folks know otherwise. Every vehicle will develop unanticipated issues. It's how they are dealt with which is important.
      10-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa
I'd rather have a manufacturer who recognizes an issue with a recall or TSB over a manufacturer who denies anything is wrong when folks know otherwise. Every vehicle will develop unanticipated issues. It's how they are dealt with which is important.
They had no choice, the federal government opened an investigation into this.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC
If you don't like your BMW - sell it.
Perfect idea! Actually, that is exactly what im going to do once my front spring defects are fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
If you divorce every brand of vehicles that had a recall, you will be ride a bicycle pretty soon
Its not just this, my car personally is nothing but issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #19
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
NYCX3, this is just an opinion but I also think this needs to be said.

Sometimes, no matter the car brand, for whatever reason, a vehicle is just a series of problems. I do not doubt you have had some bad luck and probably have an X3 that has its more than its fair share of issues. Nevertheless, you started this thread with a global statement about BMW; "And the BMW Trainwreck continues:". By trashing BMW, a universally well respected manufacturer by referencing a recall that no manufacturer is immune from, and not addressing the specific issues with your specific vehicle, you destroyed your credibility, at least in my mind and apparently many others.

BMW is a very successful company, albeit not perfect. They build vehicles that provide a driving experience that is just not available with most other makes. BMW products certainly are not trouble free but they are very credible well liked machines. Categorizing BMW overall as a train wreck just does not solicit the same sympathy and same help you might have received had you just addressed the issues you are having with your specific car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #20
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS
Quote:
NYCX3, this is just an opinion but I also think this needs to be said.

Sometimes, no matter the car brand, for whatever reason, a vehicle is just a series of problems. I do not doubt you have had some bad luck and probably have an X3 that has its more than its fair share of issues. Nevertheless, you started this thread with a global statement about BMW; "And the BMW Trainwreck continues:". By trashing BMW, a universally well respected manufacturer by referencing a recall that no manufacturer is immune from, and not addressing the specific issues with your specific vehicle, you destroyed your credibility, at least in my mind and apparently many others.

BMW is a very successful company, albeit not perfect. They build vehicles that provide a driving experience that is just not available with most other makes. BMW products certainly are not trouble free but they are very credible well liked machines. Categorizing BMW overall as a train wreck just does not solicit the same sympathy and same help you might have received had you just addressed the issues you are having with your specific car.
^ What he said.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I dont think anybody here is going to debate rather BMW is the most reliable brand, they are about average in reliability in many surveys, there are other brands that are worst. Knowing this, many people still buy BMW for one reason or another. There are other brands that are rated much higher in reliability such as Lexus, but that is based on the average of many owners. I had a 2008 Lexus GS350 that spended more time in the shop than my last two BMW combined. Ratings aside, rather you get a reliable car or not still somewhat comes down to the luck of the draw. There are many happy BMW owners in here with very few problems and then there are quite a few owners like yourself who has nothing but problems. The bottom line is that, BMW as a whole is about average in relaibility, and every once a while, you will get a bad apple.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-29-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I dont think anybody here is going to debate rather BMW is the most reliable brand, they are about average in reliability in many surveys, there are other brands that are worst. Knowing this, many people still buy BMW for one reason or another. There are other brands that are rated much higher in reliability such as Lexus, but that is based on the average of many owners. I had a 2008 Lexus GS350 that spended more time at the shop than my last two BMW combined. Ratings aside, rather you get a reliable car or not still somewhat comes down to the luck of the draw. There are many happy BMW owners in here with very few problems and then there are quite a few owners like yourself who has nothing but problems. The bottom line is that, BMW as a whole is about average in relaibility, and every once a while, you will get a bad apple.
well said
Appreciate 0