BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Hello everyone thanks for watching first and foremost. I installed the K&N air filter at around 3000 miles on the clock. I've been procrastinating to get this thing cleaned; I knew it was dirty because I felt slightly slower performance. Here is a video of me taking out the filter and replacing it with the original.

I want to clean the K&N really really good before putting it back. I didn't see any videos of doing this on the F25 X3 35i.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Nice film.
And you? Gasmask?
Living on the west coast of Sweden, my only concern is the southwesterly winds bringing polluted air from the Bxxxxxx Isles.

x=censured
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

nice video, really easy DIY, waiting for mine to come from amazon then i'll be replacing it.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
And you? Gasmask?
Living on the west coast of Sweden, my only concern is the southwesterly winds bringing polluted air from the Bxxxxxx Isles.

x=censured

I agree..it is being exhaled by all those sxxxxxs who have migrated there.

Naturally x=censored also!

You know I am only joking!

I was pleased to hear in the commentary that you should do this operation without the engine running. Without doubt you should never carry out servicing of this type with the engine running for obvious Health & Safety reasons.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 06-14-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

These high flow air filters let in more dirt than paper filters. If the K&N filter is that dirty, imagine how much dirt it let into your engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
These high flow air filters let in more dirt than paper filters. If the K&N filter is that dirty, imagine how much dirt it let into your engine.
Although it's only been proven in theory never technically. When you say things like this you should provide a link or a factual statement. Just my thoughts my friend. I can promise you that the inside of my engine is spotless.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Not seeing the logic here. It has been proven over and over, millions of times daily if a particle is smaller than an opening it can go through. Just today, I walked through a door way that was larger than myself. Now as for your engine being "spotless" on the inside where your K&N "filtered" air goes; I assume for your statement to be technically true, not just theory, is that you have been inside the cylinders with the proper equipment to see that no wear or damage to the cylinder walls have occurred.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive
Not seeing the logic here. It has been proven over and over, millions of times daily if a particle is smaller than an opening it can go through. Just today, I walked through a door way that was larger than myself. Now as for your engine being "spotless" on the inside where your K&N "filtered" air goes; I assume for your statement to be technically true, not just theory, is that you have been inside the cylinders with the proper equipment to see that no wear or damage to the cylinder walls have occurred.
You know you're talking about things that are about 20 years old. These filters have been improved hand over fist the last two decades. Spotless because my performance is just as good and optimum as it should be. If it were dirty then it wouldn't be performing as good. People on the Internet are so funny.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5
Quote:
You know you're talking about things that are about 20 years old. These filters have been improved hand over fist the last two decades. Spotless because my performance is just as good and optimum as it should be. If it were dirty then it wouldn't be performing as good. People on the Internet are so funny.
As for my take on the argument , OEM paper filters are extra restrictive to catch way more than a K&N , but when properly oiled the K&N could catch as many particles. There in lies the problem; when washed and not oiled properly, it will not perform correctly.
As for particles that do pass , the engine oil life will be reduced to a shorter interval. It's probably no different than some of the carbon buildup getting into the chamber , or the PCV allowing dirty oil and particles into the intake tract.
Anyway, thanks for the video and time you took to do it .
      06-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5
Quote:
As for my take on the argument , OEM paper filters are extra restrictive to catch way more than a K&N , but when properly oiled the K&N could catch as many particles. There in lies the problem; when washed and not oiled properly, it will not perform correctly.
As for particles that do pass , the engine oil life will be reduced to a shorter interval. It's probably no different than some of the carbon buildup getting into the chamber , or the PCV allowing dirty oil and particles into the intake tract.
Anyway, thanks for the video and time you took to do it .
You are absolutely correct when cleaned and oiled properly to perfection it's going to give you excellent performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Although it's only been proven in theory never technically. When you say things like this you should provide a link or a factual statement. Just my thoughts my friend. I can promise you that the inside of my engine is spotless.
I think even with a paper filter, the inside of any engine will not be spotless. I use to use K&N on my normally aspirated engine cars and there is a tiny bit of difference in sound and power at the very top end of the rpm, not really enough to justify the cost and the poor air filtration. A normally aspirated engine pulls air in and the flow can be obstructed by a dirty or low flowing filter. A turbo on the other hand is not affected as much because of the forced compression. The other issue with K&N is cleaning and re-oiling. You can very easily over-oil the filter which can lead to damage of airflow sensors downstream of the filter, or you can under-oil it and not get the proper filtering performance. I find that just dropping in a new OEM paper filter every 20K miles or so is a lot easier IMO. Its been proven in many individual lab test that paper filter performs better than cotton as far as filtration is concern.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
I think even with a paper filter, the inside of any engine will not be spotless. I use to use K&N on my normally aspirated engine cars and there is a tiny bit of difference in sound and power at the very top end of the rpm, not really enough to justify the cost and the poor air filtration. A normally aspirated engine pulls air in and the flow can be obstructed by a dirty or low flowing filter. A turbo on the other hand is not affected as much because of the forced compression. The other issue with K&N is cleaning and re-oiling. You can very easily over-oil the filter which can lead to damage of airflow sensors downstream of the filter, or you can under-oil it and not get the proper filtering performance. I find that just dropping in a new OEM paper filter every 20K miles or so is a lot easier IMO. Its been proven in many individual lab test that paper filter performs better than cotton as far as filtration is concern.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I've been using these K&N drop-in's since my very first car; Mitsubishi Galant V6. Lol. Which was in 2001.

Never had a problem before. Reading directions helps when you are dealing with potentially fkin up your engine. You must oil these correctly, no doubt. But the topic here is going out of bounds. This has been beaten like a dead horse.

From my experience K&N > Paper filter performance wise

Paper filter = K&N ,when cleaned properly.

You mentioned cost a factor, in terms of value received. Anything less than $100 when you have a BMW should be dismissed. PERIOD.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

did mine today.
stealership won't do it under warranty
46-47,000KM

VACUUM the dirty stuff, wiped a little..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Mahle is the oem filter for many European cars, they make a quality product.
Appreciate 0