BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #89
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
Congrats Dukat!! Nice car!
Question - how long did it take from when you placed the order to your delivery? I'm trying to gauge how long I have to wait.
ctski - its likely when you order your car, you will be ordering a build on a factory slot for a specific week. Sometimes a slot for a customer sold x3 may move up a little bit, but not alot and not more than a week or so.

So... your BMW Dealer should tell you what your build week is - you are on the east coast so there is no reason you won't be driving your new X3 within a week or so after. I ordered 8/13 for a 1st week sept build slot - delivered to the dealer 9/8 or 9/9 I took delivery 9/13.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #90
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Cool, thank you sir.
My X3 is scheduled for build week 42 - meaning the week of 10/16. I'm just antsy because I have to turn in my 335 no later than 10/28, and I don't want to extend my lease any longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #91
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Thanks Stski.

I ordered in August before 2012's were available so I waited 2 months.

From the time the tracking page said, "In Production" to the time the dealer had it delivered was approx 8 days. The tracking updates were delayed as it said, "In Production" the day it was delivered to the dealer.

It takes 40 hours to build the car. I think mine was loaded on a truck within a day or 2 of completion and delivered within a day due to my proximity to South Carolina. The dealer required 1 day to prep the car.

Your biggest wait will be for a build slot that's allocated to your dealer. Mine was built 2 weeks ahead of schedule so I don't think all the build slots were used up allowing me to move ahead.

Your dealer should be able to tell you what week build slot they assigned you to. If they start the build on the assigned week I would expect it within 8 days or so.
Great, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you again and enjoy your new X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #92
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
Cool, thank you sir.
My X3 is scheduled for build week 42 - meaning the week of 10/16. I'm just antsy because I have to turn in my 335 no later than 10/28, and I don't want to extend my lease any longer.
I think there's a good chance you'll have it by the 28th

Good luck with yours. Don't forget to post photos!
      10-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #93
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
I never trust trip computers to tell me mileage - i always figure it the old fashioned way - reset the trip odometer with ever tank and really figure miles driven per gallon pumped.

I haven't really done it yet with my X3 - have had it a month tomorrow and other than 1 road trip the first week its been almost all city driving - and as Dukat said the first 2 weeks alot of time in the car idling while i learned the features, particular idrive and nav.
There is a cool website to track your fuel consumption, www.spritmonitor.de, there is an option to put the site in english in case you don't want to try german :-))
I'm using it for a couple of months, the cool thing is that it allowes you to check your milage compaired to other drives with same engin.

btw, Great looking X3 Dukat, I'm really jealous of the piano finish pieces, I hope to retro fit these in mine too
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #94
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did my first commute today. 70 miles round-trip. 26.5 average mpg for the commute.
- 200 miles on the car.
- Several spots in each direction had heavy traffic (15% of the time), otherwise 65mph.
- Very light on the pedal the entire time.

It was difficult being that light on the pedal.
      10-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #95
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Did my first commute today. 70 miles round-trip. 26.5 average mpg for the commute.
- 200 miles on the car.
- Several spots in each direction had heavy traffic (15% of the time), otherwise 65mph.
- Very light on the pedal the entire time.

It was difficult being that light on the pedal.
Thats 31.8 MPG UK.
Not bad for a petrol, the diesel would have you 40+ though.
      10-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #96
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

At 65mph and driving like a nun I got 43mpg (UK). My E93 335i would do something like the 31.8mpg cruising at 80mph. The F25 is just 60kg heavier but a lot less slippery.
      10-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #97
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

First major rainstorm last night. No visible water intrusion anywhere. While washing it with the hose a few days ago I saw condensation inside one of the fog lights but no water after the storm.

I've had it 6 days, starting to get the feel of the handling/engine response. Manual shifting is amazing. The gear changes happen so much faster than my previous car which had a noticeable lag between issuing the shift and it happening. I do wish they'd update the software and remove the throttle lag in normal mode. It's annoying after driving in sports+ and not having that lag when you first press the pedal going back to normal mode. Otherwise I'm very impressed with everything.

Last edited by Dukat; 10-14-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #98
Jonas12
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
I ran a test today close to 90. There was a little bit of wind noise that sounded like it was coming from the roof rails, but nothing out of the ordinary from the mirrors or doors. No complaints so far!
Dukat, thanks, glad for you! At the same time I still don't know (and probably no way to tell yet, until we have more people posting comments about their 2012 X3 experiences) whether the BMW fixed it for all 2012 X3s, or is that again a gamble like with the pre-2012 model (where a number of people reported the noise problem, but an almost equal number said they didn't have it...). In a separate thread (see October 10 one from Ural) people said that BMW was only now (potentially) starting to realize the noise issue... So probably this topic will continue on the forum :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #99
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas12 View Post
At the same time I still don't know (and probably no way to tell yet, until we have more people posting comments about their 2012 X3 experiences) whether the BMW fixed it for all 2012
I agree Jonas. I held out until 2012 in hope that some of the commonly reported issues were addressed. Here's a summary of my experience so far:

I haven't noticed any rpm fluctuations on start-up idle in the last week, so unless it's temperature dependent (only happens in very cold temps which we haven't had yet) I think that has been addressed. Someone mentioned that BMW is about to release a software update to address this so I'm assuming the 2012's include this update.

My biggest concern was getting flooding or having the window/sunroof controllers fail which have been reported a lot. So far so good.

The forums also mentioned the car sounding louder than it should due to missing or improperly installed plugs in the torque converter. No issues there. The car runs a little on the louder side for the first minute and then quiets down a lot. The exhaust system has 2 paths for exhaust to take. The direct path is louder. I'm assuming it is going direct during start-up and once the system warms up it switches to the quieter path, switching back to direct only under heavy throttle.

I still haven't detected any excess wind noise. A little wind noise at high speeds that I think is coming from the roof rails, otherwise no problems.

Initially the doors required a lot of pressure to shut. The gaskets/seals have been loosening up. The front doors now shut without requiring much force. The left rear door has improved while the right remains tight. If anyone else gets theirs and thinks the doors need too much force to shut, give it several weeks, seems to get better on it's own.

My current issues/wishes are:
- Improved/smoother throttle response in normal mode
- Some rattles. I think most of the rattles are the window shade & slide-out cargo cover. The only one I can't identify is coming from the sunroof control section in the headliner.

I plan to apply another layer of sealant when the weather improves. Two more layers should provide the depth/gloss I'm looking for.

Detailing Supplies

General Supplies
- Microfiber cloths (for buffing)
- Foam applicator pads (Blue & White) (for applying polish/sealants)
- Waffle Weave cloth (for drying)
- Wheel brush
- Tire gel applicator

Wash
- Chemical Guys Citrus Wash (For initial wash to remove oils/contaminants
- Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner (General washing)

Tires
- Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (Flat black, no high gloss)

Wheels
- Optimum Opti-Seal (Sealant to make it easier to clean brake dust)

Body
- Klasse All In One (AIO) (Light chemical polish/seal)
- Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (HGSG) (3 layers, 24 hour cure time between each coat)
- Optimum Opti-Seal (Used on black body panels)
- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant (2 final coats of sealant. Probably won't do much as the Klasse sealant has been applied, but I was anxious to try it out to see the difference in gloss/depth over other products. I think Klasse will last longer but Wolfgang is very easy to apply/remove and leaves a slicker finish)
- Collinite Fleet Wax (Final coat after the sealants)

Windows
- Klasse All In One (AIO) (To remove water spots & light sealing)
- Optimum Opti-Seal (2nd layer of seal)
- RainX (Works great but doesn't last long)

Leather Care
- Leatherique Pristine Clean
- Leather agitation brush

Dash
- Sonax Dashboard Cleaner

Carpeting
- 303 Fabric Guard

Quick Detailer
- Optimum No-Rinse

Last edited by Dukat; 10-16-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #100
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

It's good to hear you haven't had any wind or water issues so far. I am picking up my 2012 X3 in about two more weeks at the PDC. I will have about 1000 miles on it by the time I get it home so I should have a good feel for the car and any wind noise or rattles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #101
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Dukat, run your AC right when you start up the car to see if you RPM's bounce. Try it a couple different times during the course of the day when you start the car. This seems to be one of the biggest triggers for the "bouncing RPM" issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #102
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
It's good to hear you haven't had any wind or water issues so far. I am picking up my 2012 X3 in about two more weeks at the PDC. I will have about 1000 miles on it by the time I get it home so I should have a good feel for the car and any wind noise or rattles.
Wow, that's quite the drive for PDC. Best of luck!
      10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #103
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Dukat, run your AC right when you start up the car to see if you RPM's bounce. Try it a couple different times during the course of the day when you start the car. This seems to be one of the biggest triggers for the "bouncing RPM" issue.
Tried it twice today. So far so good, no crazy rpm revs!
      10-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #104
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I hit 1 month yesterday so far the only real issue is the occasional RPM revs but its not a big deal, i'll wait for the fix. I will try turning ac on and off see if it matters.

I drove my X3 home in a torrential downpour rain yesterday had about a 25 mile highway drive and the X3 held its own no problems at the speed limit. Really well mannered in heavy rain.

I do have some minor wind noise at high speeds, but its barely noticeable and not of concern to me - i think its just the mirrors.

definitely no leak w/ all the rain we've had.

one last thing, forget washing the car myself or going to the dealer or car wash, i'm just going to Dukat's house to use his supply of cleaning and sealants, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #105
Bimmerlife
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
one last thing, forget washing the car myself or going to the dealer or car wash, i'm just going to Dukat's house to use his supply of cleaning and sealants, etc
haha. I'm with you. My new mantra, "If it's good enough for Dukat, it's good enough for me."
      10-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #106
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Tried it twice today. So far so good, no crazy rpm revs!
Good to know. Keep trying it for a while though. I'd say my RPM's bounce 1out of every six times I put on the A/C. They have bounced 2x's on start up without putting the A/C on in the 3 months I've owned it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #107
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

1 in 6 sounds about right for mine with A/C, never without.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #108
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, funny you said that. I just added Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer to my shopping cart after reading about it today. I'll let you know if it's any good. Shame winter is coming. All this stuff will have to go in the closet.

Congrats on your 1 month anniversary. Glad you haven't had any issues.
      10-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #109
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
one little thing in the rain last night - maybe it was just raining so hard it didn't matter, but i wish the front wipers, on their top setting, were faster. i kept hitting the lever up thinking there should be 1 setting faster. maybe it was just me - i wish i could compare to my 328... hmmm, a coworker has a e90 328i stickshift maybe i can compare to his next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #110
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there a button in the cockpit to pop-open the gas cap? The manual shows you press the back of the lid to pop it open, but gas station attendants are used to the driver pressing a button to pop it open. They all stand around or knock on the window telling me to open it and I have to explain, "Press the back of the lid" every time.