BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Thule accessories on BMW base bars

Hi

I'm looking at adding ski and kayak carrying racks to my X3 and reviewing both BWM OEM and Thule options.

BMW do not make a Kayak rack, so that part needs to be from Thule, but..

1. Does anyone know/have direct experience of Thule parts mounting to BMW OEM bars? The BMW bars are cheaper that Thule, hence attractive.

2. ANyone have opinions of Thule vs BMW OBM bars in terms of fit and quality

3. Anyone have THule bars on their 2011 X3 yet? Website says the required 'fitting kit' should be available Aug 1, but no one has one to sell.

Thanks, Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I was also looking for roof bars and a cargo box for my X3. One option that does work that you might want to look at is the Whisbar cross bars from Yakima. They are wide when viewing from above but are very thin in profile (viewing from the front or back) so they don't have drag and will reduce any wind noise.

Their mounting options will work on our flush roof rails.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I'm interested in this topic too. I've got several Thule accessories (Atlantis roofbox, some ProRide cycle carriers and a snowboard carrier) all of which are equipped with 20mm x 20mm aerobar mountings. I've seen suggestions that BMW bars are a different size 34mm x 20mm ... but with one edge still being 20mm then surely they still fit without me needing to buy a whole extra set of Thule adapters?
      08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Whispbar???

I contacted Yakima yesterday (db luck) and they swear they've done no testing with the whispbar rails and can't vouch for it fitting a 11 X3. Or racks shows an 11 X3 with the whispbar rails but Yakima customer service says 'nothing yet.'. OR rackstore hasn't returned my call - what whispbar are you referring to?? In the absence of the BMW rear mount (non hitch via the tow bar ports) this looks like best option. Anyone have any info on either option???