BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

BMW Apps

I am loving BMW Apps, simply for Pandora and Web radio. I think one of the main benefits is the future possibilities. Does anyone know of future apps in the pipeline? I don\'t really have use for Facebook or Twitter in my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

MOG Radio is available via their $9.99/subscription.

I have BMW Apps in my M3, I think it's great. I love the Pandora integration, the web radio is OK. I don't do FB/Twitter.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I am loving BMW Apps, simply for Pandora and Web radio. I think one of the main benefits is the future possibilities. Does anyone know of future apps in the pipeline? I don\'t really have use for Facebook or Twitter in my car.
It's a good question and I'd like to know too if anyone knows of anything in the pipeline....

My main use at the moment is Thomas The Tank Engine videos through my iPhone

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

I'd love to see Slacker Radio. I used to use Slacker all the time, but don't anymore. That being said, the more options the better.

Spotify would also be a nice addition.

But the biggest thing I would like to see is for BMW to branch out to Android and Windows Phone. Android currently could support BMW apps via bluetooth or USB. Windows Phone does not support the necessary tech yet, as best I know, but they should this coming fall, if I have anything to say about it. I know I'll be bugging MS on Twitter.

My final thing I would absolutely love to see in the next generation of iDrive (say in 2014), is for the option to utilize Google Maps or another turn by turn GPS app in lieu of the built in Navi system. I don't see this happening though, given how at $2k+, the Navi option must be about $1k+ of pure profit on every car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

I don't have a smartphone yet but will be getting one next year. The new data plans have limited downloads unlike the older unlimited ones. So listening to Pandora while driving would seem like it would chew up alot of minutes....is that right? And I wouldn't use BMW apps for facebook or twitter. So what else does the apps do? Does it only work with an iPhone? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Quote:

I don't have a smartphone yet but will be getting one next year. The new data plans have limited downloads unlike the older unlimited ones. So listening to Pandora while driving would seem like it would chew up alot of minutes....is that right? And I wouldn't use BMW apps for facebook or twitter. So what else does the apps do? Does it only work with an iPhone? Thanks.
BMW Apps only works with iPhone. I have Sprint and the data is unlimited so no concern about extra cost for Pandora or MOG. MOG, btw, is really cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
MOG, btw, is really cool.
Can you do direct searches through iDrive in MOG? Meaning, can I type in a song, artist, etc. - and then find the song and play it?

Sorry if the question is basic - I couldn't tell from their website if you can do direct searches or can you only play MOG playlists.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
BMW Apps only works with iPhone. I have Sprint and the data is unlimited so no concern about extra cost for Pandora or MOG. MOG, btw, is really cool.
That's right, BMW Apps just supports nice looks on screen, if you use Pandora, Web Radio or MOG, you are going to consume tons of data of your plan. I have unlimited data plan so not concerned about it.

I have noticed that no one is really interested in using FB/ Twitter on iDrive whereas every one likes to have music in the car audio.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Quote:
MOG, btw, is really cool.
Can you do direct searches through iDrive in MOG? Meaning, can I type in a song, artist, etc. - and then find the song and play it?

Sorry if the question is basic - I couldn't tell from their website if you can do direct searches or can you only play MOG playlists.

Thanks!
Yes, you can do searches for songs or artists using iDrive and the songs stream in at 320kb/s.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I just downloaded Mog today. It's awesome. The BMW interface has all of the functionality of the app. It was so good I cancelled my Rhapsody subscription. I think it will rival my use of Pandora (which I love). Never would have discovered it if it wasn't for BMW Apps. Another reason I love this car.
Appreciate 0