BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0 Msport

Internet - worth it or not?

Is the internet extra worth it in an X3? Especially nowadays with smart phones and all. Can it be added post production?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

This seriously is the type of question that only you can answer.

What are your "on-the-move" internet requirements. There will always be those people who will get the internet (and other items such as TV) simply for bragging rights. Whether they use it or not is irrelevant. But there are those people who spend their working day on the road in their car and effectively the car becomes their office. For that having a larger screen internet connection (compared with a smart phone) without the added complication say of a laptop computer is important. But then even this type of use is being overtaken by iPads and other tablet-based equipment which has the added advantage of being able to be removed from the car.

Personally in this day of tablet devices, having car internet capability is largely a waste of money. But then as I said - its really up to you and your needs.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047 View Post
Is the internet extra worth it in an X3? Especially nowadays with smart phones and all. Can it be added post production?
Out of interest I looked at this option again today whilst playing with the SatNav. It is in the connecteddrive menu somewhere. I am not being precise because I have forgotten the details, but you can purchase it. There are 3 selectable menu options listed like I show below. I think the prices are as I state. The system uses the embedded sim in the car:

1 month = £15
6 months = £50
12 months= £80

Naturally you must have already have one of the newer connecteddrive accounts setup with credit card details embedded and linked to your car, so you can select any of the above options in the car and automatically pay for it.

As far as I am concerned, it has to be cheaper and a lot faster to use a smartphone on contract than faff about with the internet on the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Agree

iPhone and Google search .. With send to car

All you need

Anyway when you are driving you should be concentrating on that !

When you are stationary . Why would you over a phone/tablet ?

Self defeating really over what connected drive already gives you

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0 Msport

What's send to car?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047
What's send to car?
Download the Bmw remote app and the connected drive app to your iPhone

Then you can do Google searches and send the results of the search direct to the car

It also allows you to track your cars location ( free tracker in effect) turn on the vents .. Flash the headlights and lock/unlock the car remotely

Connected drive gives you access to BMW apps and ecoproanalyser etc

Both can be downloaded from the App Store

If you also download the app for your vehicle handbook called drivers guide .. Put in your vin number and it gives you a bespoke online handbook which you can view before you get your car

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #7
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
What's send to car?
You can send a destination to the X3 either via the BMW app, or just by using Google Maps on your desktop computer. The car downloads the destination using the data connection from built in GPRS (if you've subscribed).
Search the threads for how to do it.

Internet in the car is slow and fiddly- not worth it- never used it!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What's send to car?
1. See other comments, but, remember, you need to have already opened a new connecteddrive account with BMW for your car. Best done from a PC. If you have not done that then the "Send to car option" will not appear for your car's registration in the menu in Google maps.

2. Once you have done the above, say for instance you want to go to "Salisbury Cathedral"!

a. From your PC....from Google in your browser, type in "Salisbury Cathedral" without the quotes and search.

b. It will bring up the Google Maps interface with many links on the left hand side of your screen, but on the right hand side you will see the map for the area showing Salisbury Cathedral.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...ry%20cathedral

c. Click on the map and open it up and click on the Orange icon at the location of the cathedral. You may have to wait awhile but eventually a menu will appear on the left hand side of the map.

See......

A short while after sending to car, you get in the car and go into messages in your iDrive and you will see them eventually appear. When you click on them you can then select them as destinations and off you go.

As stated previously it is a waste of time doing it from the internet browser in the car. The whole idea is to preplan the night or day previously on a PC or similar and send to the car. You can also send to your mobile phone or tablet if you want.

I use this practically every day and view this as one of the best ways to plan future trips.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

You can also use BMW routes. Can be fiddly to setup a route, but does work well. Allows you to go a scenic route rather what the satnav thinks is the fastest route.

I tried it last year going to Switzerland. Once you drive through a waypoint it automatically navigates you to the next waypoint.

Not sure if BMW Routes is available in all regions.

https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/login.jsp
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post

Not for all regions. I used to create my own, but to be honest a bit of a faff. OK if you have the time and the inclination.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
You can also use BMW routes. Can be fiddly to setup a route, but does work well. Allows you to go a scenic route rather what the satnav thinks is the fastest route.

I tried it last year going to Switzerland. Once you drive through a waypoint it automatically navigates you to the next waypoint.

Found the list for anyone interested.

https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/routes/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
cigar3tte
Rep
Drives: Trophy (2016 x3 xDrive28i)

Wow, I didn't know you could send Google Maps locations to the car from PC, or even the Google Maps phone app. I've only been sending from the Google Maps built-in to the BMW Remote App.

I couldn't get it to work with just the instructions from Peter_R though. Needed to go here:
https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar

That's the US version of the page.
Appreciate 0