BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
aaccon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 330i M Sport

Oil Change 2015 LCI X3 2.0d - new engine

Hi

Has anyone done an oil change on a 2015 LCI X3 - with the new 2.0d engine ?

Just wondering if any changes in process from the previous engine ?

I'm just coming up to the 12 month mark and want to change the oil

Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Eaglesview
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaccon View Post
Hi

Cheers..
I plan on doing my own between the the first four year service intervals. Have not done one yet but have researched the matter.

The air cleaner must be removed to access the filter.

Remove the silencer cover over the air cleaner. Pops up.

Disconnet air inlet and air outlet ducting to the air cleane

Pull the front of the air cleaner assembly up and to the front. The oil filter is on the left centre back side of engine. Requires a 27 mm socket.

Underneath the entire cover must be removed. On mine there is no access door to reach the drain plug. There eventually be an access hole cut into this cover.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Hi

Cheers..
Why do you want to change the oil after 12 months?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:35 AM   #4
aaccon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Why do you want to change the oil after 12 months?
Hi Peter,

There seems to be conjecture whether 2yr between oil changes, even with low ash, LL04 oil is good for the vehicle. After speaking with a BMW dealer mechanic, the `official` line is up to 2 years depending on driving style and mileage is OK.

Off the record, he indicated if it was his car, 12 months -+.

Hence me wanting to replace 12 monthly. I believe BMW in the US have changed oil change intervals to 12 months. I have a Service plan but it does not cater for 12 monthly oil changes.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

aaccon

I understand why some people want to do this, but if it was me, I would not bother.

Some years ago, for a period of 5 years I was in charge of the RAF's Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program (SOAP) Laboratory in south east London, and we moved all the helicopter transmissions and small piston engine aircraft engines to Condition Based Monitoring after a considerable amount of testing of oils we were using. The conclusion was that the new oils being synthetic and with better additives would last even longer than expected. This was concurred by the oil manufacturers.

With regards to changing the oil at 12 months! The 12 months oil change thinking is based on (wait for it....) the amount of time it takes our mother earth to travel round the sun. This has nothing to do with oil condition nor does it hold up in the technical world. It is an antiquated arbitrary figure! You only have to ask the lubricating oil manufacturers.

Some years ago, it made sense with the older technology oils to carry out a calendar oil change if the vehicle had been driven for many miles under adverse conditions where deposits were getting deposited on the components walls under start stop cold conditions and were also clogging up oil ways. The later synthetic oils are now so much superior and hold the deposits in suspension that this definitely does NOT happen anymore. Anyway BMW and some other manufacturers use sophisticated algorithms based on how the car is driven to work out if an oil change is needed, but to satisfy the older thinking people they still use a two year backstop because the average driver will cover around 20,000 miles in that time

By the way the US changed because of their litigation laws and nothing to do with the necessity for an oil change.

As an aside, my wife has a little 2008 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 litre petrol engine that now does less than 2000 miles a year. It is coming up for an annual service in a few weeks (it only had an inspection last year) and the servicing people rang and said it needed booking in for an oil and filter change. I asked "really what makes it needing this?". The servicing guy checked with his manager and the manager told him to say because it has done 2 years. I eventually asked the manager who has considerably less experience than me and many others in this field why and he says the car manufacturer advises it. I asked what about the oil manufacturers opinion....he could not answer it. By the way, a visual check of the oil on the dipstick shows it as being clean.

Now in the final analysis, if you feel happier doing an oil change after 1 year, go ahead, it is your car and your money. However, if you were take a small quantity of oil and burn on a spectrometer you would find very little deterioration (if any) from when it was new.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
aaccon
Private
Rep

Quote:
aaccon

I understand why some people want to do this, but if it was me, I would not bother.

Some years ago, for a period of 5 years I was in charge of the RAF's Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program (SOAP) Laboratory in south east London, and we moved all the helicopter transmissions and small piston engine aircraft engines to Condition Based Monitoring after a considerable amount of testing of oils we were using. The conclusion was that the new oils being synthetic and with better additives would last even longer than expected. This was concurred by the oil manufacturers.

With regards to changing the oil at 12 months! The 12 months oil change thinking is based on (wait for it....) the amount of time it takes our mother earth to travel round the sun. This has nothing to do with oil condition nor does it hold up in the technical world. It is an antiquated arbitrary figure! You only have to ask the lubricating oil manufacturers.

Some years ago, it made sense with the older technology oils to carry out a calendar oil change if the vehicle had been driven for many miles under adverse conditions where deposits were getting deposited on the components walls under start stop cold conditions and were also clogging up oil ways. The later synthetic oils are now so much superior and hold the deposits in suspension that this definitely does NOT happen anymore. Anyway BMW and some other manufacturers use sophisticated algorithms based on how the car is driven to work out if an oil change is needed, but to satisfy the older thinking people they still use a two year backstop because the average driver will cover around 20,000 miles in that time

By the way the US changed because of their litigation laws and nothing to do with the necessity for an oil change.

As an aside, my wife has a little 2008 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 litre petrol engine that now does less than 2000 miles a year. It is coming up for an annual service in a few weeks (it only had an inspection last year) and the servicing people rang and said it needed booking in for an oil and filter change. I asked "really what makes it needing this?". The servicing guy checked with his manager and the manager told him to say because it has done 2 years. I eventually asked the manager who has considerably less experience than me and many others in this field why and he says the car manufacturer advises it. I asked what about the oil manufacturers opinion....he could not answer it. By the way, a visual check of the oil on the dipstick shows it as being clean.

Now in the final analysis, if you feel happier doing an oil change after 1 year, go ahead, it is your car and your money. However, if you were take a small quantity of oil and burn on a spectrometer you would find very little deterioration (if any) from when it was new.
Peter,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It is food for thought and what you have said makes sense, especially based on your technical background.

My reasons like many others is to lengthen the life of my car and minimise any problems. In Australia anything to do with `European` cars is poisonously expensive if something goes wrong outside of warranty. I'm not a mechanic, but have a technical background so I question (maybe I shouldn't )

Thanks again !

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
aaccon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
I plan on doing my own between the the first four year service intervals. Have not done one yet but have researched the matter.

Pull the front of the air cleaner assembly up and to the front. The oil filter is on the left centre back side of engine. Requires a 27 mm socket.

Underneath the entire cover must be removed. On mine there is no access door to reach the drain plug. There eventually be an access hole cut into this cover.
Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
Eaglesview
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post

Correction. Just did oil change. Back from the front bottom cover is a small cover with two bolts holding it on. Remove and there is the oil drain plug.

With respect to comments about extended oil change intervals, lads, it sure is a small oil filter. Due to its limited size I was advised by a BMW mechanic to halve the oil change intervals if you are going to keep the vehicle. Perhaps old fashioned thinking but works for me. Each to his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Hi

Cheers..
I assume you are talking about the new B47 engine vs the old N47 engine. Don't know a definitive answer but it was my understanding the basic engine block was pretty much the same between the two. So I would assume the location of the oil drain would be pretty much the same and therefore the procedure to drain the engine would be unchanged.

Its still my understanding that the 28d engine available in the US/Canadian markets is still the old N47 engine.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Tony

Here is a blog that explains all about the N47/B47 engine.

http://www.enginecompare.co.uk/blog/...ngine-new-b47/

Also

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/07/ne...-code-engines/
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
aaccon
Private
Rep

Hi

Can anyone tell me how much oil is needed for the B47 2.0d to fill ?

The oil filter seems to be easily accessible without removal of any obstructions and there also seems to be a dip stick.

I plan to use in Australia, Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 Fully Synthetic, LL04, same as I used in the N47 engine. Can anyone confirm this is still good for the new B47 ?

I have found the owners manual is next to useless - always refers you to dealer for any information.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi

and there also seems to be a dip stick.
My 2012 F31 320d Sport with N47 engine had a dipstick, so I would expect the X3 with the same engine (28d - N47 engine) would also have one.

No doubt somebody will be along soon to update you!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Hi all,
Sorry to update an old thread.....

How much oil do I need for a 2016 2.0d x3. ??

Also, the reason Im doing it, contrary to Peter Rs informative post, is because of the dpf issue.

I doubt the oil will be quite so good if you have had a few failed dpf passive regens and it has meant diesel being dumped into the oil sump!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

@Kugaman1

What if your X3 failed regeneration in the very first few months after the previous oil change then the same would apply and you would be carrying out oil changes every few months.

As I stated in a previous post, it is not necessary, but it is not up to me to convince you differently. Your money.

PS. As you are aware, 12 months is the time it takes for the earth to go round the sun. It is an arbitrary time used by manufacturers to make money out of the unsuspecting motorists. The oil does not know this!

My wife does less than 2000 miles a year in her little SEAT Ibiza 1.4. The garage has told us each MOT that it needs an oil change. Really? It has done 4000 miles in 3 years and the oil is completely clean.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 12-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Modify the wording
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:11 AM   #15
Kugaman1
Private
Rep

Totally agree ŵith your comments Peter, especially the 12 month point!

I also fully agree with your thoughts on oil life.

The only issue for me is that I tend to do a fair few short runs (on high speed a roads) and I am really concerned about how much diesel has been dumped into my sump!
I thought I would do a "mid service" oil change. At the end of the day it cost less than £50 for the oil and filter from Opie oils, so its worth it for the piece of mind.

Also, I have ordered a "carly" programming tool which will enable me to force a regen when it suits me!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Totally agree ŵith your comments Peter, especially the 12 month point!

I also fully agree with your thoughts on oil life.

The only issue for me is that I tend to do a fair few short runs (on high speed a roads) and I am really concerned about how much diesel has been dumped into my sump!
I thought I would do a "mid service" oil change. At the end of the day it cost less than £50 for the oil and filter from Opie oils, so its worth it for the piece of mind.

Also, I have ordered a "carly" programming tool which will enable me to force a regen when it suits me!
Fine! It is you that needs to be happy and that is all there is to it. But it is overkill and on modern cars especially later BMW ones, there is no diesel fuel getting dumped into the sump because of the failed regeneration process.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #17
Kugaman1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fine! It is you that needs to be happy and that is all there is to it. But it is overkill and on modern cars especially later BMW ones, there is no diesel fuel getting dumped into the sump because of the failed regeneration process.

Oh?

So what is happening if a passive regen doesnt get completed?

I know we dont have ad-blue in these cars.

Im keen to learn if you have more info on how these cars regen!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Oh?

So what is happening if a passive regen doesnt get completed?

I know we dont have ad-blue in these cars.

Im keen to learn if you have more info on how these cars regen!
There is a lot of disinformation banded around concerning regeneration be it passive or active regeneration. If you read the so called experts and there are many who copy and paste from different sites, they are all say the same thing when they do not know what happens. There is a lot of proprietary software out there concerning ECU management and diesel engines and the burning off the soot from the dpf. Most of which you will never find out about. Look how many years it took for the VW diesel gate software scandal to come to light.

So to your original statement about carrying out an oil change because of contamination. Put it this way, your dpf will have blocked up and the car gone into limp mode (with the dpf light on) a long long time before you need to worry about carrying out an oil change given that the regeneration process happens every 250 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Kugaman1
Private
Rep

Thanks Peter, some good information there.

Last edited by Kugaman1; 12-13-2016 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
aaccon

Hi Peter R

Was made aware of this post through another thread and would like to give some input from my experience.
Not saying wither of us is right or wrong, since im not a lubricant engineer. Just wanting to discuss

Hope you are still reading the forum.

I have always been lead to believe that piston aircraft engine oils like Aeroshell have extra anti oxidant additives compared to automotive oils due to the temperatures they often run at in air cooled engines.

This means that they will stay stable longer.
I have also not seen expiry date info on sealed bottles for them, unlike with automotive oil where most manufacturer recommend discarding even sealed bottles after 5 year due to the breakdown of the oil.

So were the oils you were testing representative for automotive conditions ?

Also a big thing with low mileage cars is water and fuel contamination of the oil. This often isn't "burnt off" before it starts affecting the oil because the engine either doesn't reach full operating temperature or doesn't do so for long enough periods.

Thus BMW used to recommend 2 year intervals or 1 year in the USA for low mileage oil.
They have actually now reduced the 2 year to 1,5 years in many of the new Turbo engines in a number of markets, including here in South Africa.

There have been sludging problems before here on the smaller engines, especially on the Castrol oil.
The change to Shell seemed to help a lot, but BMW have introduced the reduced 1,5 year intervals now aswell

So can Automotive oil withstand low mileage without being changed at time based schedules ?
Personally I think not.
Because partly from oxidation, but especially due to contamination.

Thoughts ?