BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Mosson
Rep
Drives: x3 2014

New X3 to Sweden - report and two questions

Hi all - first post

Took delivery of new x3 (2,0D) four weeks ago and have already 6000+ miles (10000 km) on the meter

Currently at 36 mpg in mixed driving through europe

I am really happy with the car and was extra glad it was one of the first made with the latest infomatic upgrade

Ocean blue, havana leather, fineline wave wood, servotronic, auto, tow, ProNav, HUD, xenon, internet, apps, bmw live, bluetooth pro, amb light, alarm, all seats heated etc.

Only minor disappointments are the lack of support for the communication functions available in Sweden (not much of bmw live/connected and apps for sure) and the still missing integration of mail and sms between car and iphone 5.

More reports to come but two questions that bugs me a lot.

1. When in reverse I DO NOT GET PASSENGER REAR MIRROR TURNDOWN - I have had this function in my two previous BMWs and know how it is supposed to be setup in the mirror controls (set control to driver mirror). I might have imagined it but seems to remember it working on day of delivery.

Could someone confirm that this thing is supposed to work even WITHOUT electric folding mirrors (do not have that) and WITHOUT electrically adjustable seats (do not have that either)?

2. Realizing that even if the built in HD is now bigger I will still not fit my music collection in the car - I tested connecting a miniature 500gB USB harddrive with some music to the USB connector in the armrest and it worked well.
When I read the manual it says though (in several places) that one should not connect a USB-HD to the car (only sticks and phones I guess) so I got a bit worried about this.

Anyone know if this is risky business (manual says 1A of power can be provided through the USB)?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I think the mirror turndown is only available when you have the folding mirrors. Always was the case in every BMW I had.

Probably same for the X3?

Last edited by KrisNL; 07-03-2013 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: typos...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
I think the mirror turndown is only available when you have the folding mirrors. Always was the case in avery BMW I had.

Probably same for the X3?
My 335i had turndown without folding mirrors. It's a sales ploy.
      07-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Mosson
Rep

My previous E61 had turndown but NO folding mirrors
X3xDrive 2.0d Ocean blue Metallic Leather 'Nevada'Havanna Auto Servotronic Runflat tyres Alloy rims V-spoke Alarm Electric tow Dark side and back windows Seat heating front Seat heating rear Wood Fineline "Wave" Navigation system Professional Head-Up Display Internet BMW Live BMW Apps Bluetooth Professional Comfort package (Xenon, Ambient lights package, PDC)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Not to add to the confusion, but... mine (without folding mirrors) has it sometimes... not sure what I have to do to have it permanently...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

I have folding mirrors but you have to have the mirror selector switch (2 position switch on drivers door) to select the drivers mirror for the mirror dip to work. This is positioned to the right in the UK so
I guess European models need this switched to the left etc. I've tested this myself and there was a similar thread some months ago but as stated I do have folding mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy View Post
I have folding mirrors but you have to have the mirror selector switch (2 position switch on drivers door) to select the drivers mirror for the mirror dip to work. This is positioned to the right in the UK so
I guess European models need this switched to the left etc. I've tested this myself and there was a similar thread some months ago but as stated I do have folding mirrors.
Exactly right. If your mirrors don't dip on reverse then try changing the mirror selector/control switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Like others have already mentioned, you need to have the mirror adjustment switch to the driver side to active courtesy dimming passenger side mirror when in reverse, but that is only if you have electric folding mirror, at the very least for the Scandinavian variant.

I have Norwegian spec without the electronic folding mirrors, I wondered the same thing a few months ago and confirmed by BMW dealership that courtesy dimming is available only with electronic folding mirrors.

To my understanding this is software configuration rather than lack of hardware.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I thought the mirror fold down on reversing was standard on all X3s.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I thought the mirror fold down on reversing was standard on all X3s.
UK Spec- Electric Folding Door Mirrors=Look Down on Reverse (with the switch set correctly)
I don't have Electric folding mirrors so don't have this feature.
I only found out about the Look Down on this forum after buying the car. I can't find any official reference to this anywhere in the X3 price list or brochure. Poor description of extras=lost revenue for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Re 500GB HD
Problem is the power load drawn from the USB. I have solved the problem using the USB port and power socket in the Armrest.

I have a USB cable with 2 USB A (large flat plugs) at one end and a USB mini at the other end. The second USB A is only to supply power to the HD etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DUAL-P...item2c67353a2a

Get a Car USB adapter to feed the second USB plug.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-Ca...item2ec8ef55df

This has worked well for over a year now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Mosson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Re 500GB HD
Problem is the power load drawn from the USB. I have solved the problem using the USB port and power socket in the Armrest.

I have a USB cable with 2 USB A (large flat plugs) at one end and a USB mini at the other end. The second USB A is only to supply power to the HD etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DUAL-P...item2c67353a2a

Get a Car USB adapter to feed the second USB plug.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-Ca...item2ec8ef55df

This has worked well for over a year now.
Thanks! Seems reasonable to do it like that (nearest powersocket would be the "cigarettelighter" in centerconsole I guess)

I might take my chances though as the HD in question is a seagate goflex and I investigated that it seems to draw only 0,1A normal with a max of 0,5A when connected to my portable mac
X3xDrive 2.0d Ocean blue Metallic Leather 'Nevada'Havanna Auto Servotronic Runflat tyres Alloy rims V-spoke Alarm Electric tow Dark side and back windows Seat heating front Seat heating rear Wood Fineline "Wave" Navigation system Professional Head-Up Display Internet BMW Live BMW Apps Bluetooth Professional Comfort package (Xenon, Ambient lights package, PDC)
Appreciate 0