BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

Memorizing driving preference

Hi guys, is there a way for the car to remember the mode I prefer (ex: sport+) It does not seem to memorize it and this is annoying because I often do many small distance during the day and in the city it is much better to drive in this mode so I have to change it every time I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
Hi guys, is there a way for the car to remember the mode I prefer (ex: sport ) It does not seem to memorize it and this is annoying because I often do many small distance during the day and in the city it is much better to drive in this mode so I have to change it every time I start the car.
There is no way to do this unfortunately. You're not the first to complain about it. Maybe BMW will take note if enough people do

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

This is crazy isn't it? They have thought about all that obscure technology but forgot about a few basic things... Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Yes it sucks. Where can we complain about this ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
This is crazy isn't it? They have thought about all that obscure technology but forgot about a few basic things... Thx.
actually I'm glad it's that way, mpg takes big hit in sports mode even on highway, would rather hit the button when needed than forget it's on and waste all that fuel. have to believe this was deliberate.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn007 View Post
actually I'm glad it's that way, mpg takes big hit in sports mode even on highway, would rather hit the button when needed than forget it's on and waste all that fuel. have to believe this was deliberate.
Perhaps but then simply provide a user customisable default setting of

1. Normal
2. Sport
3. Sport+
4. Last Setting

You can choose option 1. Other people can choose something else. Basic customisation

Re. where to complain, I think it's more like where to complain so that your complaint doesn't fall on deaf ears!

I heard somewhere that in the UK if you complain/suggest through the dealership and they actually bother to pass on your complaint/suggestion to BMW, it carries more weight than a direct letter or email to BMW. I don't know if this is true or not but you could cover all bases and do both

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn007 View Post
I agree on highway, I put in normal mode for economy but in the city, I need a more responsive throttle, the lag after a stop in normal mode is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've programmed Sport mode to be chassis only right now as I don't like the rolly polly feel of Normal. I wish it would remember it as well like it does in the M3. I usually just start the car and click it into Sport. When I need the throttle response to be better I just push the stick to the left and go into transmission S mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

That's right I just tried it, I was always in D mode and switching to sport or sport+

What is the difference between S mode and "sport" mode (when pressing the button then). The throttle/AT seems to react the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm not 100% sure of this but on my 135 when I moved it over to S mode it really only changed the throttle response and shift points (hold the RPM higher before shifting) as well as let you go into full manual when using the paddles.

I believe it does the same on the X3 but I'm not 100% sure. Whereas with Sport on the toggle you can choose to have it both the chassis and drivetrain or either or.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Oh maybe I was not clear, what is the difference between the stick in S position (driving mode untouched: normal) and the stick in D position but driving mode to "sport".
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Question re: fuel economy. When I'm going 80MPH on the freeway in 8th Gear in Sport Mode, my car is at 2,000RPM. When I'm going 80MPH on the freeway in 8th Gear in Normal Mode, my car is at 2,000RPM. Wouldn't that mean I'm getting the same mileage? (I'm only asking under these circumstances - not acceleration or anything else.) BTW - If I'm in Automatic Mode at 80MPH my car is at 3,000RPM. Seems like that would be worse fuel economy to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Oh maybe I was not clear, what is the difference between the stick in S position (driving mode untouched: normal) and the stick in D position but driving mode to "sport".
You probably already know this but stick position only affects throttle response/shift points. Normal/Sport/Sport+ affect handling - suspension, chassis, and steering. So stick in S, DHP in Normal means sporty throttle, with a cushier ride. Stick in D, DHP in Sport means normal throttle, sportier handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That was what I was trying to explain and what nonagon was also saying. S mode = drivetrain changes only. Sport mode via the toggle switch can be chassis and drivetrain, chassis only or drivetrain only if you change this within iDrive.
Appreciate 0