BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

rear facing car seat touching the back front seat?

Dear X3 owners,

Do you know if X3 allows car seat to touch or rest against the back of front seat?

According to NHTSA training manual, resting against the back could be a safer practice as long as the manufacture allows it.

However, many folks in car seat forums mentioned that newer cars might have advanced airbag sensors and the touching or bracing of the car seat might mess it up.

I checked the X3 manual but couldn't find anything about the airbag sensors.

BTW, here are what from NHTSA:

"A rear-facing seat can be installed so it rests against the back of the vehicle seat ahead if not counter to manufacturers instructions....If the gap is small or the child is on the heavy side, it is much better to be already touching any forward structure prior to a crash than to hit it during the crash. Resting against a forward seat back is only one way to achieve these benefits."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
New Dad here. First time I've heard about resting the child seat against the front seats as a safety recommendation. Makes sense in a collision that it'd be better to bet touching something already rather than hitting it in a crash. Thanks for the tip.

As for the sensors? I doubt touching the chair from the back will affect the front airbags. I think the sensors are primarily in the gluteus maximus region of the seat.
      06-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

interesting.....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post
New Dad here. First time I've heard about resting the child seat against the front seats as a safety recommendation. Makes sense in a collision that it'd be better to bet touching something already rather than hitting it in a crash. Thanks for the tip.

As for the sensors? I doubt touching the chair from the back will affect the front airbags. I think the sensors are primarily in the gluteus maximus region of the seat.
You are correct. The sensors are under you butt in the front seats. No problems with the rear seats at all.
Appreciate 0