BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

BMW Assist UK - how long to setup

My new car arrives on 8/2. The dealer gave me the VIN and the registration number so I filled in my BMW Assist UK application online yesterday. How long does it take to get confirmation and does it come via email or post?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

My dealer did everything for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
ricardoyak
Private
Rep

What do you get - presumably a user name and password to allow the BMW remote iPhone App etc to work. Anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I recall it took longer than I wanted from when I submitted the form with the VIN - 5-6 days if I remember. All you get is an ID and PW.

The web interface is poor by BMW standards and you cannot change the ID or PW (or at least not the ID) so its not user friendly. Setting up the config is not so easy due to the poor web navigation. However, you might have a different experience to me.

Good luck with the X3 collection - are you collecting from BMW Brum or BMS Solihull?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
ricardoyak
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info. It seemed a very clunky way of getting setup we are so used to everything happening in instant.

Because mine is a company car it is coming on a flatbed all the way from London - Hexagon BMW. Delivered to home in Sutton Coldfield.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I submitted my online application on a Friday and it was all setup on the Monday. I have changed by username but can't remember how I did it now. My dealer told me he had done this all for me but nothing happened until I did it online myself. You need this all active for Google send to car and the My BMW Remote app

And yes, the website is poorly designed and outdated but you don't need to use it once you're setup

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
ricardoyak
Private
Rep

Details arrived by SMS today. So 48hrs turnaround. Interesting thing is that I could now open and close the car while it is still at the dealer, maybe some random light flashing and horn blowing too!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoyak
Details arrived by SMS today. So 48hrs turnaround. Interesting thing is that I could now open and close the car while it is still at the dealer, maybe some random light flashing and horn blowing too!
lol - Definitely worth driving by and trying a headlight flash after the dealership has closed. Sadly the horn blow facility has been removed from the latest version of the app

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
ricardoyak
Private
Rep

I setup the app yesterday and have a couple of issues:

1 The app has the reg of the car wrong by 1 year (60 not 61). Couldn't find a way of changing this on the web so have "applied" for a change

2 The app couldn't find the car. I am suspecting that the battery has been unplugged. Do dealers wait to the last minute to connect the battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoyak View Post
I setup the app yesterday and have a couple of issues:

1 The app has the reg of the car wrong by 1 year (60 not 61). Couldn't find a way of changing this on the web so have "applied" for a change

2 The app couldn't find the car. I am suspecting that the battery has been unplugged. Do dealers wait to the last minute to connect the battery?
I don't about the reg, isn't that entered by BMW only?

I think the 'find car' feature only works if you are within 500m?
Appreciate 0