BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

My new (to me) X3 M Sport - love it!

So recently I got rid of my 335i and got a 2011 X3.

I wanted something that would still be fun to drive - and after looking for a few weeks, I found the perfect car 400 miles away. It has 46,000 miles, but I'm getting the platinum BMW warranty for it.

Got it for $34k too. I was really surprised at all of the options that it has - basically everything you can add from BMW. That's what made me want to get it.

Some of the highlights include:

35i engine, of course
M sport package, with DHP, performance steering, paddle shifters
Heads up display (!)
Backup camera, and top view camera
heated seats front/back
Navigation, sat radio, hi-fi audio, etc

The M sport package with DHP and the 35i engine really make this car into a beast. It's extremely fun to drive, and just comes alive and handles wonderfully. It's a huge step up from my 2008 335i. Not as fast, but feels much better in both sportive driving and comfort driving.

What a huge difference between a base X3 28i and a fully loaded 35i with M Sport - they really seem like 2 completely different cars, and they are. (I guess you can say the same about a 328i and an M3..)

I did also try a Porsche Cayenne (2011), and while it was also fun to drive - I did not think it was really that much better than the 35i M sport, even the Cayenne S. At least not $15-20k better, if it was cheaper, maybe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Ccjung
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i M Sport

YOU!!!!!

I was eyeballing that car at the dealership in PA. I have been trying to find my sister a nice F25 m sport, and when I called, it was just sold.

CONGRATS!!!

I have an alpine white that is almost as loaded. I paid 42k. Your car was a STEAL!!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

rondocap,
First of all congrats. While the X3 with adaptive suspension is a nice handling vehicle for an SUV, there is no way on earth it can handle better than a E90 335i with sport package, its just a matter of physics. We had a 2011 328i without sport package and it handle about the same as the X3 with DHP in sport mode. When you start to throw the weight around in quick turns, you will feel the difference between the two. Don't get me wrong, we like the X3 much more than the 3 series as well, but not because it handles the twisties better. You got a great car for a decent price, enjoy your new ride and yes the 35i powertrain is almost world class.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
rondocap
Captain
Rep

Ccjung, that's really cool you looked at it too!

TheXmen: You are right, you do feel the height and weight on the X3 in the twisties and it does not handle as well as the E90. Still, I was surprised at how well it did handle for an SUV with DHP.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
TheXmen: You are right, you do feel the height and weight on the X3 in the twisties and it does not handle as well as the E90. Still, I was surprised at how well it did handle for an SUV with DHP.
We test drove a bunch SUVs and the X3 was the best handling SUV in this price segment. The Porsche Cayenne was nice, but if you want one that handles nice and with decent acceleration, the price is way up there. The Q5 was more of a comfortable ride than sporty and forget about the ML350, that thing is a boat.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
rondocap
Captain
Rep

Yeah, the Porsche Cayenne was nice - but like you said, much more expensive.

One major point: I didn't think the Cayenne S matched the excitement of the 35i engine and shifting. The V8 sounds nice, but it is subdued. The 35i engine has a lot of noise feedback that's great, especially on the upshift which makes it very exciting to drive. (The pop and sounds of that nature)

Now, if we're talking a GTS, then that's where it starts to get different, but so does the price. I also did not think the technology in the cabin of the Cayenne was as intuitive and advanced as the BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

The Cayenne we test drove was a V6, at $65000 or so, it had some basic options but nothing special. The Cayenne's V6 power train is no match for the X3 35i, in fact, I think even the 28i was a bit quicker than the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0