BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
FranzX3M
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X3M

Rear lamp nuts

I just replaced a LH outer brake lamp bulbs on my 13 X3 F25. Simple enough. There are 2 nuts under the cover to remove the lamp. Now I am having trouble getting the nuts to thread back on. The bolts or studs have a strange thread on them and the dam nuts won't go back on. I'm getting metal dust on the nuts so worried of stripping them. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzX3M View Post
I just replaced a LH outer brake lamp bulbs on my 13 X3 F25. Simple enough. There are 2 nuts under the cover to remove the lamp. Now I am having trouble getting the nuts to thread back on. The bolts or studs have a strange thread on them and the dam nuts won't go back on. I'm getting metal dust on the nuts so worried of stripping them. Any suggestions?
Have removed and refitted mine lots of times, when I was testing different LED bulbs. I just fitted the nuts by hand first, then tightened by wrench. If using an electric driver to fit, ensure you refit a small way by hand first. Unless things have changed on 2017 models.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...hts/tail_light

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

Driver-side assembly: One nut came off easily, the other nut came off with difficulty as if it had been cross-threaded, although it did come off. Same story putting nuts back on, one easy, one tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
FranzX3M
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X3M

I ended chasing the studs with a die and the nuts with a tap and that totally solved it. The nuts was just a quick clean out while the studs took a bit more work. Had to be careful starting the die on the stud to ensure it was square and not cutting new threads. I believe it was M6x1 but not verified. Also there is not enough room to get the die holder in there so I did it mostly by hand and channel locks to turn the die.
Appreciate 0