BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Totally Confused!

I have a 2007 X3 3.0si 95k on the engine. within the last 3 weeks the thing is going crazy.
1st, while driving and using the cruise control the water temp gauge will suddenly just to red. You can pull over and turn off the engine and crank it immediately back up and all is fine for another 60 miles. If you never engage the cruise control this never happens.
2nd. the drivers side mirror randomly does not hold a new set position over night.
3rd. the circle of death light come on (4x4, brake, and abs) then go off after engine turned off. It also may only be the 4x4 light or 2 of the 3.

Alternator and battery all check fine. No codes are shown at this time.
I am lost for answers, HELP PLEASE!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Maybe it has nothing to do with the mirror but if you focused on two items that could be related . The transmission and car overheat. The radiator sometimes houses the transmission cooling and other times its in its own core housing. Either way, if the fan is not working , maybe it could cause the transmission to overheat, and the car temp to rise. Now the question is why only when the cruise control is on. Maybe there is a relay controller that is malfunctioning. Maybe there is a connector that is corroded and needs to be cleaned. Temp sensors are resistive, so check for shorts , damaged wiring harnesses , especially if its been in an accident or recently worked on. Also check for chassis grounds to be properly grounded. The motor sits on rubber mounts and needs those grounds to be good ( return path). That is all I can think of.
      08-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Issue number three could be the transfer case motor. This can be easily fixed by a good BMW Indy mechanic at a reasonable price. Also, have the whole cooling system checked while the car is there. This is the mileage and age when a number of its components tend to be worn out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
hiroshima_rx7
Rep
Drives: E83 X3./ RX7 FC3S./ GPZ900R./

problem #3 i had on my 2008. And had it fixed at the dealer.
I had those 3 lights and the airbag light also.

Its a small sensor on the transfer case, since its still a mechanical xdrive system they had seen this quite a few times.
and the reason for the airbag light was because its the same sensor that manages the ''level' which measures if the car is tipped on the side.

my file is still open at the dealer because im getting other things done under warranty.
so i dont have the exact name (or part number) until next week or so.

they are changing valve lifters and the head. because of extremely loud engine clicking and prematurely worned out lifters.
Appreciate 0