BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Question Efficient Dynamics and the outcome

Hi Guys,
Regarding the effecient dynamic option on X3: Does it actually revert to electric mode at the stop lights and all that? do you feel any difference? where else do you see that ED being used?
Does it affect the performance?
Does it affect the fuel consumption?
or
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Here's page 68 of the manual

"Energy recovery
The energy of motion of the vehicle
is converted to electrical energy
while coasting. The vehicle
battery is partially charged and
fuel consumption can be lowered."

It charges the battery. Increase fuel economy. Performance, my guess probably doesn't effect.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You can see in action if you have pro nav (big screen!). The mpg is red and then when you coast it goes to the right and turns blue showing you ED

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It looks a bit like this

But you don't get any quantitative feedback on how much fuel you've saved. Benefits are probably wiped out by opening a window

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It looks a bit like this

But you don't get any quantitative feedback on how much fuel you've saved. Benefits are probably wiped out by opening a window
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It looks a bit like this

do not see the pic!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

It works but like others said it is really hard to tell.

Basically it works by disengaging the alternator which under normal use presents some parasitic loss as it is tied to the engines crank via a belt. When you are coasting, the alt disengages and the energy is generated at the wheels.

We are moving towards a world where vehicle accessories will be driven electrically and not mechanically via a direct link to the motor. A few years back all cooling fans were driven off the serpentine belt but now most are moving toward electric fans. Same with the alternator and soon probably even the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
So, BMW has invented and deployed a new technology that can "reduce fuel consumption while coasting"? Well, if they can take credit for that, then I'm going to submit my claim of invention for "reduces coefficient of drag while at rest".

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
When you are coasting, the alt disengages and the energy is generated at the wheels.
The alt engages while coasting,surely?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
It works but like others said it is really hard to tell.

Basically it works by disengaging the alternator which under normal use presents some parasitic loss as it is tied to the engines crank via a belt. When you are coasting, the alt disengages and the energy is generated at the wheels.

We are moving towards a world where vehicle accessories will be driven electrically and not mechanically via a direct link to the motor. A few years back all cooling fans were driven off the serpentine belt but now most are moving toward electric fans. Same with the alternator and soon probably even the A/C.
In fact, the alternator is mechanically engaged all the time. It's output is electronically controlled so that once the battery is charged to about 80% of maximum storage, the alternator is electronically switched to a low charge condition during constant speed cruising and then switched to a very high charge condition when the driver releases the throttle and/or brakes the vehicle.

This reduces the engine load during regular driving and recovers energy during braking that would otherwise just add to the brake system heat load.

If the battery drops down to a 50% charge level, the system switches to a constant charge mode like a conventional alternator system. This will typically happen, only if you drive for short distances and start the vehicle a lot without allowing enough driving time to fully recharge the special, deep cycle saturated mat battery.

On the European fuel driving cycle, the BER system results in a 3% fuel efficiency increase. It's a small, but significant advance and does really work.

The downside is that it requires a special high output, modulated alternator, and a larger, more expensive battery, so original cost, and replacement costs are higher in trade for the fuel economy advantage.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Yes, sorry for the typo, I had it backwards. Alternator is engaged when not on the gas pedal.

"With Brake Energy Regeneration, BMW EfficientDynamics points the way to a more energy-efficient future. As soon as you brake or take your foot off the accelerator, the kinetic energy is captured and fed to the battery. This reduces the amount of power the battery takes from the engine and hence lowers fuel consumption. When the driver presses the accelerator, on the other hand, the alternator is decoupled from the drivetrain. With fewer components drawing power from the drivetrain, more of the engine's output can go into accelerating the car."
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
So, BMW has invented and deployed a new technology that can "reduce fuel consumption while coasting"? Well, if they can take credit for that, then I'm going to submit my claim of invention for "reduces coefficient of drag while at rest".

LMAO

Last edited by Radioactive; 05-20-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
In fact, the alternator is mechanically engaged all the time. It's output is electronically controlled so that once the battery is charged to about 80% of maximum storage, the alternator is electronically switched to a low charge condition during constant speed cruising and then switched to a very high charge condition when the driver releases the throttle and/or brakes the vehicle.

This reduces the engine load during regular driving and recovers energy during braking that would otherwise just add to the brake system heat load.

If the battery drops down to a 50% charge level, the system switches to a constant charge mode like a conventional alternator system. This will typically happen, only if you drive for short distances and start the vehicle a lot without allowing enough driving time to fully recharge the special, deep cycle saturated mat battery.

On the European fuel driving cycle, the BER system results in a 3% fuel efficiency increase. It's a small, but significant advance and does really work.

The downside is that it requires a special high output, modulated alternator, and a larger, more expensive battery, so original cost, and replacement costs are higher in trade for the fuel economy advantage.
This is one of the most informative posts I've read on this X3 forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

If your X3 has only the standard instrument cluster (without the BER display dial), it's still possible to monitor the operation of the BER system inexpensively by attaching an accessory socket digital voltmeter. In an example of extreme "nerdiness", just to be sure the BER on my X3 actually existed and was working as advertised, I drove around for the first month of ownership with a meter attached.

I used a Vector plug-in model, but any DVM will work.

see: http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC008-...5922679&sr=8-1

As delivered, the car's battery was in a fairly low state of charge, so it took almost a week before the BER system started "cycling". Once the battery became almost fully charged, I would see the following:

1. Normal charging at around 13.6 to 14.0 volts for the first few miles after starting.

2. After a few miles, the charging voltage drops to 13.2 or 13.3 during steady cruising, indicating a low load, low (trickle charge) situation.

3. At throttle lift off or brake application, the voltage shoots up to 14.8 volts, indicating a maximum charge rate and high alternator load. This continues as the car slows down and the transmission downshifts through each gear to keep the engine speed above 1200 rpm minimum so that the alternator can develop maximum output.

4. Once the car is almost stopped, the torque converter unlocks and the engine drops to a low idle. The charge voltage then drops back to 13.2 indicating a light load on the engine.

Although there is some "up front" cost, it does certainly save energy, and considering the cost of fuel, is probably something that all but the smallest vehicles will eventually adopt.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Lotus7

Years ago, we had a forum member called E90Fleet. He was so knowledgeable about BMWs it was frightening. He probably made close to 10,000 posts in his career and not a single one was ever off topic or 'banter'. He was quite a gentleman, wise, and kind.

You sir, remind me of him. E90Fleet is sorely missed, but perhaps a new hope emerges... as was foretold by the prophets...

Me, I just make wise cracks and occasionally offer some information.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lotus7

Years ago, we had a forum member called E90Fleet. He was so knowledgeable about BMWs it was frightening. He probably made close to 10,000 posts in his career and not a single one was ever off topic or 'banter'. He was quite a gentleman, wise, and kind.

You sir, remind me of him. E90Fleet is sorely missed, but perhaps a new hope emerges... as was foretold by the prophets...

well, at least you offer wise occasionally... I normally only keep cracking!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
excellent info by Lotus 7 indeed!!!!
thx
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Gee guys, thanks for the kind words. The beauty of forums like this is the amount of information that can be shared. I've learned a lot here and try to contribute when I have something that I feel might help. Occasionally, I do get slightly frustrated when I see a topic being re-introduced that has been discussed in some detail previously.

Often, these threads take on a life of their own and evolve into something far from the original starter's topic. I'm as guilty as anyone in contributing to these "topic shifts" and although a cardinal rule of Internet discussion forums is always "keep it on topic"; it's inevitable these evolutionary shifts happen.

So, to keep this thread on topic, I’ll mention that, in fact, the BMW BER system, and most of my comments this time around have been posted before in an obscure thread called “KERS failure warning”. (For those who don’t follow Formula 1, “KERS” means Kinetic Energy Recovery System(s)) and can be used in 2011 spec F1 racing cars for extra passing power boosts.

see: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...&highlight=BER

Post No. 8 in that thread titled “More than you every wanted to know about BERs” includes even more detail than I’ve mentioned here. I still have mixed feelings about the BMW implantation of BERS. It does save some fuel, but it also increases the long term cost of ownership at purchase and at battery replacement time.

Enjoy all the hi-tech goodies in your X3 It's a brave new world out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lotus7

+1 The second coming of E90Fleet (in a Lotus)

Appreciate 0