BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
andyv94
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Unhappy '06 X3 with engine hesitation/stuttering when accelerating

Hi,

wife's car has been a bit of a nightmare, thank god for the extended warranty offered by BMW.

My wifes car with 60,000 miles developed a hesitation when trying to accelerate, it mostly happens at speeds above 25 mph up to 70 mph. If you are going 45 mph and try to accelerate to pass somebody you get a pretty bad hesitation/stuttering.
We have taking it to the dealership about 5 times in the last year and NOTHING, they can't seem to find the reason why it does that.

Has anybody here gone thru the same symptoms as my wife's car??

Help please!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Sushiland
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0i

With my X3 we saw that it stuttered but then would go down in speed altogether. It came down to a bad crank shaft sensor. We got it replaced before things went bad for our car. Please push the dealership to diagnose and get to the bottom of the issue. Talk to the service director not the advisor. For me, I kept getting conflicting reports every time I took in for service. Since your vehicle is a 2006 make, I am assuming it is still under warranty. So push them to fix it now before things break after the warranty period.
My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Bruce li
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 lci

My wife's did something similar, 2006 3.0 hers started around 50k. We noticed a little smoke coming from the engine bay off and on. Then couple weeks later car started to sputter while driving and she ended up on the side of he freeway, car wouldn't start anymore. The dealer said it was a leak in one of the cylinders and ended up basically rebuilding the motor. Took about 2 1/2 weeks but now seems to be ok. We also had the warranty thank God! Good luck to you
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

We havent noticed any sputtering on our 07 X3 but about two weeks ago I started smelling burning oil. I thought it was coming from a car next to me so I didn't really worry, then yesterday I took a hard left and a cloud of white smoke came bellowing out from under the hood. I pulled over and it looks like drops of oil are dripping onto the right side exhaust manifold.

Do you think it could be the PCV valve?? Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
ngcreese
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 30.si

Hesitation Issue / White smoke sometimes...

Hesitation Issue:
We bought our X3 with 60K on it. It seemed to have the acceleration / hesitation issue, where the engine would sputter / misfiring under heavy acceleration (overtaking someone on the highway)... I didn't solve it until I hit the 100K mark.

Fix : (took a leap of faith and...) had the dealer install two new Bosch pre-cat O2 sensors. 10K miles prior to that, I changed all the spark plugs ( changing the spark plugs didn't stop the sputtering, however if you do change O2 sensors, changing the plugs too, is good form).

It was a leap of faith because the dealer could not identify the source of the problem through diags.

White smoke sometimes:
My windshield washer container's pumps started to leak. Fluid would end up finding it's way over to the exhaust manifold.

Fix: Replaced to two pumps near the front of the container.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
dinger 17
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3sd 2007

i had a issue with my x3 57 reg it had power loss and wasnt running through the gears properly took the car to my local bmw dealer they done a engine regeneration on the car which clears out all the carbon from the catylic convertor now the car runs like a dream!
Appreciate 0