BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Xline or Msport

I have plenty of time to decide as I reckon I have another 8 months before I need to make a decision. If I stay with the X3 it seems as though I wont get the new model so have been looking at the configurators and find the xline a tempting proposition.

I like the added chrome bling to the bumpers and side skirts and the chrome window surrounds look nice, the wheel choice seem better than the msport as well, plus i wont have the rock hard sport suspension BUT on the other hand am i taking a backward step from an msport to an xline? I still want sports seats and pro nav, comfort access etc, but the saving i make with the xline means i could also add a few more toys such as head up display and surround camera.

Are there any new colours coming soon? There are only 3 i like - space grey (which i currently have), deep sea blue and white, would love an estoril blue colour....
      02-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
I have plenty of time to decide as I reckon I have another 8 months before I need to make a decision. If I stay with the X3 it seems as though I wont get the new model so have been looking at the configurators and find the xline a tempting proposition.

I like the added chrome bling to the bumpers and side skirts and the chrome window surrounds look nice, the wheel choice seem better than the msport as well, plus i wont have the rock hard sport suspension BUT on the other hand am i taking a backward step from an msport to an xline? I still want sports seats and pro nav, comfort access etc, but the saving i make with the xline means i could also add a few more toys such as head up display and surround camera.

Are there any new colours coming soon? There are only 3 i like - space grey (which i currently have), deep sea blue and white, would love an estoril blue colour....
The Xline kit looks nice.

As for me, I'm installing a new (dual) exhaust on my x3 and therefore wish I had msport to begin with (all I'd have to do was modify the diffuser) rather than what I am doing now, converting my rear end to msport.

I don't think its a step backwards. Its all personal preference. If you didn't like the sport suspension then you'll find the standard suspension far more comfortable.
      02-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Drive the non-MSport to see if you like it. I personally think the xLine looks much better, especially on lighter metallic colors, but think the driving dynamics of the base setup are a little lackluster. It's not isolated enough to be really comfortable but neither is it 'tight' enough to be called really sporty. I haven't driven an Msport but think that the options offered with that package (dynamic suspension, variable steering) might be necessary to bring the car squarely into the sporty camp.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
pookguy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

All personal taste. I prefer a harder suspension and hate any type of chrome. Still love the alpine white with black accents which is what I have. Only thing I would miss is the kick to open on the tailgate which M Sport deletes.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Heated steering wheel is a must have feature for me and I don't believe that's an option with the M-Sport wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
drewxnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
Heated steering wheel is a must have feature for me and I don't believe that's an option with the M-Sport wheel.
Hey Braumin - I have the heated steering wheel on my M sport steering wheel. I believe there was something else that wasn't available on the M sport steering wheel, it might have been something with the driver assist pkg (sorry if this isn't right pkg name) and the steering wheel vibrating. Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy View Post
All personal taste. I prefer a harder suspension and hate any type of chrome. Still love the alpine white with black accents which is what I have. Only thing I would miss is the kick to open on the tailgate which M Sport deletes.
+1

I also perfer the appearance of the vehicle with M Sport and the thicker M steering wheel, the regular one just doesn't have the same feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
+1

I also perfer the appearance of the vehicle with M Sport and the thicker M steering wheel, the regular one just doesn't have the same feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy View Post
Same.. the loss of the kick to open was a huge disappointment. Didn't find out until PCD in SC. Not cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #9
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

If m-sport, then pre-LCI. Don't really like the huge air intakes on the LCI m-sport.
The LCI xline however looks really good. The matt aluminum applications on the skirts, front and rear bumpers and exhausttip go really well with the aluminum window frames. It looks much more high class than the pre-LCI xline.
If I were to chose today, I would take the LCI xline.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #10
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

my thoughts entirely, the air intakes look huge on the LC1 msport which is another reason why the xline is taking favour. Pretty sure the sports steering wheel comes with the xline, perhaps without the paddles but as I have never used the paddles in the past 2 years its something i wont miss.
      02-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
knick
Rep
Drives: 1980 633CSi

I think the M package without any of the M under the hood is silly, it doesn't require the the 335 engine (get it!). I also think the body molding is a bit cartoonish and gimmicky. IMO if there is an M associated with your BMW it should be faster off the line than my X line, which in sport plus and manual is pretty sick. Faster than the X5 335 I was considering.

I ended up with a loaded 2016 X-Line 335i in Jet Black with oyster Nevada Seats and the 19" Y spoke wheels (style 608). I've yet to see one in a different configuration I liked better. The M seats would have been nice option, but I prefer the wheels and all other exterior design tweaks of the X-line.

I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited by knick; 02-24-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

I just ordered a new X3 and it went into production on Tuesday. I wanted both the M sport and cold weather package. Even though I live in Florida I sometimes travel north (New York, Iowa, etc.) to do contract consulting work. I was recently in NY for three winters. The 2011 X3 I had there (with the M-sport package) had a heated steering wheel, headlight washers, and front/rear seat heaters. Except for the rear seat heaters these features were all very welcome accessories. To my annoying surprise, the cold weather package is now not available with the M-sport package. I came very close to not ordering the car but the only alternatives (Mercedes, Audi, etc.) just do not give the driving experience IMO that a BMW does nor do they have the BMW X3 styling that really appeals to me. Since I am able to get heated front seats as a stand alone option, I don't care if the rear seats are heated, and I do not intend to be north with the car except for maybe part of next winter only, I ultimately decided to go with the M-sport package. BMW really pissed me off with this limitation because headlight washers are an important safety feature. They make a noticeable difference in visibility when salt and sand are covering the headlight covers. I frequently used them on the 2011 X3. Now, every time I read about BMW putting safety first I become very annoyed. This is certainly no surprise to me but previously this hypocrisy was not previously in my face with respect to something important to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
drewxnyc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I just ordered a new X3 and it went into production on Tuesday. I wanted both the M sport and cold weather package. Even though I live in Florida I sometimes travel north (New York, Iowa, etc.) to do contract consulting work. I was recently in NY for three winters. The 2011 X3 I had there (with the M-sport package) had a heated steering wheel, headlight washers, and front/rear seat heaters. Except for the rear seat heaters these features were all very welcome accessories. To my annoying surprise, the cold weather package is now not available with the M-sport package. I came very close to not ordering the car but the only alternatives (Mercedes, Audi, etc.) just do not give the driving experience IMO that a BMW does nor do they have the BMW X3 styling that really appeals to me. Since I am able to get heated front seats as a stand alone option, I don't care if the rear seats are heated, and I do not intend to be north with the car except for maybe part of next winter only, I ultimately decided to go with the M-sport package. BMW really pissed me off with this limitation because headlight washers are an important safety feature. They make a noticeable difference in visibility when salt and sand are covering the headlight covers. I frequently used them on the 2011 X3. Now, every time I read about BMW putting safety first I become very annoyed. This is certainly no surprise to me but previously this hypocrisy was not previously in my face with respect to something important to me.
hey RhoXS,

Are you sure the cold weather isnt available with M sport? I have a 2016 X3 M sport with Cold weather pkg added, and if you go to the bmwusa.com website and build one out there you can configure the M sport with cold weather pkg. added.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewxnyc View Post
hey RhoXS,

Are you sure the cold weather isnt available with M sport? I have a 2016 X3 M sport with Cold weather pkg added, and if you go to the bmwusa.com website and build one out there you can configure the M sport with cold weather pkg. added.
I believe a compatibility issue arises on the M Sport line if you select Driver Assistance Plus that then excludes the Cold Weather Package. It may be with the M Sport Steering Wheel on the X3 you can get either the heater from Cold Weather Package or the vibration capability for the lane keeper and blind spot monitor in the Driver Assistance Plus Package, but not both. Try it on the "build your own" feature at BMWUSA and you will find these two packages cannot both be entered on an M Sport line X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
pookguy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Can confirm M Sport and cold weather package here as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

I would much rather have the driver assist functions over cold weather package so if a choice between that and cold weather package it was a moot point for me
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #17
drewxnyc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I believe a compatibility issue arises on the M Sport line if you select Driver Assistance Plus that then excludes the Cold Weather Package. It may be with the M Sport Steering Wheel on the X3 you can get either the heater from Cold Weather Package or the vibration capability for the lane keeper and blind spot monitor in the Driver Assistance Plus Package, but not both. Try it on the "build your own" feature at BMWUSA and you will find these two packages cannot both be entered on an M Sport line X3.
thanks MichiganMike - Yes correct I think that is the conflict some others have discussed in regards to the whole M sport steering wheel conflict w/ Driver Asst Plus Pkg, but was more also addressing the M Sport and Cold Weather Pkg statement to avoid confusion for others that may read this.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #18
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014

Xline or msport in the UK ?

Well, if you want individuality get an Xline as there are very few around, virtually every one I see is an Msport

Spec wise you can have virtually everything on an Xline that is on the Msport such as 19/20" wheels and sport seats or the other way round such as chrome trim on a Msport.

You can delete the sport suspension on the Msport but the smallest wheel you can have is a 19

When I made the choice I didn't want 19's or sport suspension as I think the ride quality on the big wheels is too much of a compromise for me whereas the pre LCI Msport was available with 18's

My Xline has sport seats and the sport steering wheel so from inside you could be driving an Msport ( without the jiggly ride)

Looks .. Well they are totally subjective .. I like the Xline I think the chrome has been done in a way that really lifts the car

I think the Xline wheels are excellent

Colour ? Well I think bold colours really suit the Xline White/red/blue etc with the more sombre colours black/grey suit the Msport

I've double dipped on rarity going for both Xline and Melbourne red but I think it is a stunning combo and it seems others agree as I keep getting random people telling me how good it looks.. Though equally there could be plenty retching in buckets out of sight !

Best bet is to drive one with 19's and sport suspension and one with 18's and standard suspension and see which you prefer

Here's a picture of mine

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:15 AM   #19
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Pic
Attached Images

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:34 AM   #20
Nham68
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Xline or msport in the UK ?

Well, if you want individuality get an Xline as there are very few around, virtually every one I see is an Msport

Spec wise you can have virtually everything on an Xline that is on the Msport such as 19/20" wheels and sport seats or the other way round such as chrome trim on a Msport.

You can delete the sport suspension on the Msport but the smallest wheel you can have is a 19

When I made the choice I didn't want 19's or sport suspension as I think the ride quality on the big wheels is too much of a compromise for me whereas the pre LCI Msport was available with 18's

My Xline has sport seats and the sport steering wheel so from inside you could be driving an Msport ( without the jiggly ride)

Looks .. Well they are totally subjective .. I like the Xline I think the chrome has been done in a way that really lifts the car

I think the Xline wheels are excellent

Colour ? Well I think bold colours really suit the Xline White/red/blue etc with the more sombre colours black/grey suit the Msport

I've double dipped on rarity going for both Xline and Melbourne red but I think it is a stunning combo and it seems others agree as I keep getting random people telling me how good it looks.. Though equally there could be plenty retching in buckets out of sight !

Best bet is to drive one with 19's and sport suspension and one with 18's and standard suspension and see which you prefer

Here's a picture of mine
I have an M-Sport 3.0d with 20" wheels here in uk - no VDC - it's firm, but really fine (I was coming from f31 with adaptive ), so it really comes down to your preferred preference in the end, x-line and m-sport on 19/20s are all fine motors imho....
Appreciate 0