BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

sunroof trouble...:(

After 3 months of bliss w/ my X335, the power shade on my sunroof has taken a crap...started with the second of the 2 panels not coming across when closing. I ignored that for a week or so but then it started making noises like it was catching on something, so in she went...

Dealer was cool-picked it up at my house and dropped off a nice 328i coupe to use...but, two days later they inform me that the parts needed to be ordered so at least 4 more days..at which point I politely reminded them of the sales line stated repeatedly where they assured me that if ever the car was in for warranty work, I would have a free loaner of 'comparable size'...well, later that day, my salesman showed up with a brand new 535i with all the toys!!

I think I masked my excitement, but suffice to say, I told them to take their time and fix mine right...after a few days, I can honestly say I cant wait to get mine back, but this 535i has been a pretty decent substitute... It is truely a beautiful vehicle....

OK, all that said, anyone else have this type of all out failure of their sunroof and/or sunshade yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

well, two full weeks later and I am still without my X3...

It has turned from what was to be a simple repair to needing the parts from South Carolina, to then they had to come from Germany..now the parts have supposedly been held up in US Customs...bottom line is as of today, 2 full weeks since they got my vehicle, they don't even have parts yet.

The 535i has been a nice substitute, but I MISS MY X3!!

Nobody ever responded on my first post, so I am assuming this is not a widespread issue-hope nobody else has to deal with this BS...all because of the stupid power shade.

Bad enough having to put up with this on a brand new vehicle, but add in that being in Michigan and driving my first imported car, I took a lot of good natured ribbing from friends and family when I brought this home-two weeks of driving a loaner (with the dealer's name plastered all over the rear bumper) has caused much fodder for more harrassing...reminds me of the ol saying, "with friends like these, who needs enemies"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Be glad you been only waiting for 2 weeks, took me 2mos + 2 weeks to get mine fixed. My sunroof was broken upon delivery... They fixed it now and never had any problems.

This was my original post:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527001
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I’m a bit surprised that they just didn’t have you drive the X3 until the parts came in.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Itchy-that is amazing that it took that long-were you driving yours during the wait? I wasn't offered this option as they weren't sure what the problem was until they dissasembled it...now I am just hoping that they get it all back together correctly...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

I had a problem with the sunroof immediately after delivery - when you popped it up, it wouldn't close. It would close halfway, and stop.

Called the dealer, and they had me run the alignment routine (push up on the switch and hold until it cycles completely if memory serves), and it has been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

They gave me a 5series loaner for 2 weeks... but when I knew it would take 2 months to get the parts, I took back the X3 and used it while waiting for the parts. I own a sedan so I dont need that loaner.
I drove it with the sun visor open (not a big deal actually). Go and tell them you need a loaner, im sure they have always have something available.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post

It has turned from what was to be a simple repair to needing the parts from South Carolina, to then they had to come from Germany..now the parts have supposedly been held up in US Customs...bottom line is as of today, 2 full weeks since they got my vehicle, they don't even have parts yet.

Nobody ever responded on my first post, so I am assuming this is not a widespread issue-hope nobody else has to deal with this BS...all because of the stupid power shade.

Bad enough having to put up with this on a brand new vehicle, but add in that being in Michigan and driving my first imported car, I took a lot of good natured ribbing from friends and family when I brought this home-two weeks of driving a loaner (with the dealer's name plastered all over the rear bumper) has caused much fodder for more harrassing...reminds me of the ol saying, "with friends like these, who needs enemies"
My passenger side front window is not working and BMW Canada has to order the pasrts from Germany too.....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:

It's not an imported car. It was built by Americans in the US. It's a foreign car company. Any of them have a Blackberry? They're built by a foreign company outside the US. Ask your US car owners about their repair/warranty issues. My last US car lost its paint job in less than 18 months, the rear windows never rolled down, and it handled like a drunk goose with intestinal issues.
      06-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
My last US car lost its paint job in less than 18 months, the rear windows never rolled down, and it handled like a drunk goose with intestinal issues.
Just picturing that goose now

You may have to wait a long time for parts but we have to wait 5-10 times as long as you for our cars to arrive. Swings and roundabouts

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Looks like I'm going to go through the same thing. Second panel stays stuck in the back. First panel moves the entire length it's supposed to, but there are some strange clunking sounds when trying to close the shade. Taking it in tomorrow for what is supposed to be a 1-day fix. I won't be shocked if it takes longer at this point, though.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
I had a problem with the sunroof immediately after delivery - when you popped it up, it wouldn't close. It would close halfway, and stop.

Called the dealer, and they had me run the alignment routine (push up on the switch and hold until it cycles completely if memory serves), and it has been fine since.
I had this exact problem a couple times. It's been fine since a couple of recycles.

To the OP, sorry to hear that you're without your X3 so long. No matter what the loaner, eventually you just want YOUR car back. I do understand. I once got a 740Li as a loaner for three days when my E90 was in for something... I really didn't care how long it took. It came with a butler and a cocktail waitress.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Mostly all parts are still coming from Germany. It just took 3 weeks for a new muffler to get to me. My advice - If you can still drive your X3 comfortably, tell them to give you a call when the parts come in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
Mostly all parts are still coming from Germany. It just took 3 weeks for a new muffler to get to me. My advice - If you can still drive your X3 comfortably, tell them to give you a call when the parts come in.
Well, it depends on whether or not they take things apart. Sometimes broken parts can't be re-assembled. Personally, I'm 50/50, as the small added bonus to a loaner is you can put as many miles on it as you want. I'm pretty sure, for example, that a loaner would encourage me to go up to Markleeville (Calif) for lunch (Winding roads across the Sierra Nevada and back to the Bay Area in one day is very do-able).

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Update: Possibly due to heat, the (plastic) claws and clasps that pull the second panel onto the track have failed. New sunroof design, parts come from ... Germany. Gave them the loaner (328i) back; awaiting parts to arrive for the repair.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

my update...it ain't pretty; dealer finally got the parts in (after 1+ Week delay due to being held up by US Customs-thats another bs excuse as far as I'm concerned but whatever...) got the work done, and last Thursday night they brought my baby back! Got in it and before the salesguy left with the loaner I gave it a try..the shade was closed when he arrived, so I opened it..all good..go to close it, and....ITS STILL BROKEN!!!! Yes, after 3+ weeks of having my car, they succeeded in doing absolutely nothing. The shade did exactly the same as it had initially-only the first panel comes across, and makes a nasty clunking sound as the second panel gets hung up. amazing...

I withheld my fury..the salesman was embarrassed and apologetic-he was going to take it back but frankly, at that point I wasn't sure I wanted them to touch my car again, so he took the loaner and promised that the Service Mgr would call first thing in the morning.

Well, overnight I got the automatic "how did you like your service survey" email from BMWUSA. I figured I'd wait to see if I got the promised call before filling it out...suprise, no call...by 11 am with still no call, I went ahead and filled out the survey, and told it like it was..

Apparently those things get through, because the Service Mgr called me within the hour! Not due to the salesguy telling him to call me (apparantly he never relayed that msg, only that the sunroof was still broken..) but he was calling in part to tell me how damaging to the dealership it is for them to receive such a poor review!!! After I apologized to him for not knowing the rules in that I should have gotten the right answers from him for the survey before sending it...(yeah, right), they now are picking my car up again tomorrow morning and will again tear it apart to check what happened-if it is the same issue, as I am certain it is, they are petitioning BMW to just replace the entire sunroof, and not just the shade. If that is the case, they will reassemble and get my car back to me so I have it while the inevitable 3+ week wait for the new parts unfolds.

I am pretty concerned about having this same dealer try to get it right, and also to have my headliner and entire sunroof torn apart again, but not sure what other options I have. It isn't "Bob's BMW and surf shop"..they handle Mercedes and Porshe, so I think they are fully capable, but this is crazy...

and yes, my friends and family are having a field day with this...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
So sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how frustrating and angry you must be. My neighbors thought I got a job at the BMW dealer because I was always in a dealer plated car for 2 months! I had a black 3 series while I was waiting on my first X to come in. Got the X in which ended up with a dealer plate since it was missing options. While driving it, I got a flat tire and was given a silver 3 series to drive while they replaced the tire. Got back the loaner X to drive until my new one just came in. Crazy! Hope they get it right this time. At least you have another survey to hold over their heads!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I had an issue with my sunroof, it would go to close then bounce off the closed position and have like 3-5 inches of space. I got on top to take a look, and I had a leaf, like a half broken one inside. Removed the leaf and all was good. So the closing mechanism is very sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My X3 made its return trip to the dealer and is back in my garage this morning, waiting again for new parts which should arrive in about 3 weeks. Apparently BMW has finally recognized this is a widespread issue and has redesigned the track system for the sunshade-exactly what the redesign is I have no idea, but they are no longer using the same parts. So for anyone that has same defect, know that as of this week there has been an internal technical service bulletin posted within BMW.

Good news is that I have my car back in the wait. Bad news is that I have no sunshade on a panarama roof during the hottest stretch of the summer..with a black interior...

On a side note, after 3 round trips to the dealer for a total of about 300 miles, they actually returned my X3 today dirty, and on EMPTY! Amazing...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
My X3 made its return trip to the dealer and is back in my garage this morning, waiting again for new parts which should arrive in about 3 weeks. Apparently BMW has finally recognized this is a widespread issue and has redesigned the track system for the sunshade-exactly what the redesign is I have no idea, but they are no longer using the same parts. So for anyone that has same defect, know that as of this week there has been an internal technical service bulletin posted within BMW.

Good news is that I have my car back in the wait. Bad news is that I have no sunshade on a panarama roof during the hottest stretch of the summer..with a black interior...

On a side note, after 3 round trips to the dealer for a total of about 300 miles, they actually returned my X3 today dirty, and on EMPTY! Amazing...
I would have said something about washing it and topping off the gas tank. If you need a great dealer in Michigan.....Harold Zeigler in K-zoo has been fantastic. Don't know how close that is to Milford.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
l...by 11 am with still no call, I went ahead and filled out the survey, and told it like it was..

Apparently those things get through, because the Service Mgr called me within the hour! Not due to the salesguy telling him to call me (apparantly he never relayed that msg, only that the sunroof was still broken..) but he was calling in part to tell me how damaging to the dealership it is for them to receive such a poor review!!!
Apparently, though, not damaging enough ...

Quote:
If you still have that email requesting the survey, you might fill it out again, with the updated details.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #22
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Apparently, though, not damaging enough ...

If you still have that email requesting the survey, you might fill it out again, with the updated details.
right..guess I could, but really less interested in getting them knocked down as I am getting in repaired right. At this point, I am intending on getting this fixed and moving my service needs to a different dealer, that is actually closer to me anyway. (want the thrill-I am closer to Detroit, so Kzoo not an option)

Razel-are you still waiting for the parts? If they shipped from Germany last week, it may well be the same less than adequate kit that they tried on mine. The allegedly 'new and improved' fix is actually supposed to be coming from SC, not germany, but not available for 2 more weeks. You may want to clarify this with your dealer, as this TSB just was posted this week...supposedly...
Appreciate 0