BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #23
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Thanks, Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
You can put a couple of them on the roof, Paris-Dakar Rally style.
oh dear, maybe get ski rack to put it in

If it can be put on an X6, don't see why not on an X3 as below
Attached Images

Last edited by Bimar; 05-28-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

@Lotus7 - excellent information, thanks for the post. I think I will skip the slime and pick up a plug kit along with a portable compressor.

I am curious if anyone has bought a spare and jack and if so, whatbdid they buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Thanks Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I keep one of these kits in each of our BMW's:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+repair+kit.do

Having had a flat in the past with a BMW run flat, it sucked to have no spare or alternative while on a vacation trip. Most flats are due to punctures, which, if treated right away can be plugged.

Some will argue that putting a donut spare in the car is the answer, but think about it - a donut spare can be driven up to 50 MPH for limited use... just like an RFT. I don't really see a benefit there, unless the RFT is shredded and can't function.

Slime would only be an answer if there were no other alternative. It will ruin the TPMS sensor, ruin the tire for any future repair, and make a general nasty mess of the wheel inside. Tire shops hate it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like a great repair kit, LEDZEP, but wouldn't you also need to carry a jack and a wheel race? I can't see how you could get to a puncture without removing the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #29
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Looks like a great repair kit, LEDZEP, but wouldn't you also need to carry a jack and a wheel race? I can't see how you could get to a puncture without removing the wheel.
Rotate the tire by slowly moving the car until you have access to the puncture. Not ideal, but doable for most tread punctures.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Rotate the tire by slowly moving the car until you have access to the puncture. Not ideal, but doable for most tread punctures.
Yeah, that's the only way I could think of without removing the wheel but I thought not much space to work in on the rears. Nevertheless, might take your advice and invest in a kit - hopefully never to be used!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Yep, That's the plan. IF money is no object, there's always the "Rakjak".
http://crashmax.com/rak-jack-2-ton-d...jack-dbt2.html
I've lusted for one for years, but can't quite justify the expenditure.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
kirby
Rep
Drives: considering X3

Quote:

That looks like a very nice repair kit. I am going to see if I can get something similar on eBay.

I watched a few Youtube video on how to do the repair with those kits. The hardest thing is probably to insert the plug. Some of the repaires put a lot of their body weight on the tool before the plug could be inserted. Mind you this is working with the tyre already removed from the car. If the tyre is still on the car it would be doubly hard.

Last edited by kirby; 10-29-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #33
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

according to this description on amazon and slime's site, it says Slime will NOT damage the TPMS and will not damage the tire! no clue what it does to the wheel though!

"Slime sealant instantly seeks out and repairs punctures up to ¼” without causing damage to the tire or Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). "

http://www.slime.com/shop/safety-spair-70005/

I was thinking of getting this since I am going with 18" winter WS60 tires/wheels that are not run flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I've heard that most tyre repair centres won't repair run flats because there is no safe way to detect side wall damage
KWIK-FIT Do and have done, I had my X6 rear repaired NO problems after at all, if it's a nail through the tread get it repaired.
      11-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #35
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

RFT Protect the Wheel/Rim

Trooper, the whole idea of the RFT is to protect the wheel/rim and get you to the shop. The tire, on the other hand, well, that depends on how many miles you've gone, how fast, how many pot-holes you've hit. Like others have said, some tire shops won't even attempt a repair on the RFT because they can't assess the damage or lack of damage to the RF sidewall (oh, and they want to sell you a new tire - let's not forget that).

I've heard some folks get a compressor just to minimize damage to the tire. Again, probably depends on your tire shop more than anything. For me, the RFT will get me to the shop, that's good enough.

The slime is the same concept, except, you're not protecting the tire anymore since it will need to be balanced, repaired, new TPMS... bottom line, new tire. Slime is like saying, "I don't trust the RFT." Which is understandable if you've never used one.

Here's one possible use for the slime... Replacing the RFTs with regular tires and NOT carrying a spare. Risky. But the idea is that the slime/compressor meet the same needs as a RFT.

Other option, carry a spare and a proper BMW jack (that fits their body jack-lift indentation). No need for slime or compressor.

Anyway, food for thought

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #36
Nayook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Inner Tube?

In the distant past I have dealt with Land Rover flat tyres by removing the wheel with the flat, breaking the bead of the tyre to rim and then installing an inner tube after checking the offending nail or piece of wood etc that caused the flat is gone.

I wonder how difficult it would be to install an inner tube into a run flat tyre out in the bush somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #37
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

That thread make me smile

The real goal behind RFT is to increase profit margin of each car by pushing that cost to the customer. A 50$ spare times number of total car sold is quite a bit of money...

Now agreed that RFT can save your ass if you are in a situation where it is impossible to fix the tire or if you can not get out of the car. Personally, after 2 decade of driving, I never got any flat so the probability is low "for my case". I never had RFT tire before!! RFT vs non-RFT for my X3 was 100$ per tire. This is basically a 400$ insurance you're buying.

For winter tire I made the choice of non-RFT with a compressor and a repair can. Tire fixed and inflated with the repair can can be repaired at the shop, I got the confirmation. They will dismount, clean the interior of the tire, remount, balance, etc. The TPMS will not be destroyed, this is clearly stated on the can. In the very low probability situation where I can not fix the car and I am stock, I will call the towing and it will cost me less then the initial 400$ extra for RFT.

RFT or not, this is how you are willing to deal with the risk versus the money spent. I also found the choice of RFT tire is little for winter and summer so if you like none of them you have to buy non-RFT and take a non-negligible risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #38
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
That thread make me smile

The real goal behind RFT is to increase profit margin of each car by pushing that cost to the customer. A 50$ spare times number of total car sold is quite a bit of money...

Now agreed that RFT can save your ass if you are in a situation where it is impossible to fix the tire or if you can not get out of the car. Personally, after 2 decade of driving, I never got any flat so the probability is low "for my case". I never had RFT tire before!! RFT vs non-RFT for my X3 was 100$ per tire. This is basically a 400$ insurance you're buying.

For winter tire I made the choice of non-RFT with a compressor and a repair can. Tire fixed and inflated with the repair can can be repaired at the shop, I got the confirmation. They will dismount, clean the interior of the tire, remount, balance, etc. The TPMS will not be destroyed, this is clearly stated on the can. In the very low probability situation where I can not fix the car and I am stock, I will call the towing and it will cost me less then the initial 400$ extra for RFT.

RFT or not, this is how you are willing to deal with the risk versus the money spent. I also found the choice of RFT tire is little for winter and summer so if you like none of them you have to buy non-RFT and take a non-negligible risk.
That is the exact reason I am looking at non-RFT, I really like the blizzak tires, have used a few different ones for years. They don't offer run flats for the X3 size, so I am looking at either LM-60 on 19" or WS-60 on 18" I prefer the LM60 but prefer 18" DOH!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #39
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
u dont need spare tire or mobility kit

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #40
patski
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
I've repaired several "puncture" flats over the years with the Slime type kit, even in the wet. https://amzn.to/2NIfwPl

BTW, Toss a pair of needle nose pliers in with the kit.

I run non RFT snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #41
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Love love love my Viair air compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits perfectly in that right side back pocket in the cargo area, right under my BMW cargo mat.
Appreciate 0